Confirmed! Prinsendam has been sold! (4 threads merged)

cRocky42

As well as air draft, there is the water depth at the dock, and the draft of the vessels. The port of Bordeaux states the max draft to be 7.5m. Prinsendam is 7.2m, Marina is 7.3, and Rotterdam is 8.1. So, regardless of Gross Tonnage (which remember is only a volume measurement), the Rotterdam (at 61,000 gt) sits deeper in the water than the Marina (at 66,000 gt), and the Prinsendam (at only 39,000 gt) sits almost as deep as Marina.

Air drafts are notoriously hard to pin down, but I suspect that with the much greater GT (volume), that Rotterdam is significantly higher than Prinsendam.

Very interesting -- all the things that must be considered in determining where ships can (or cannot) dock.

Check your email. It says -

You will be re-accommodated to the below voyage in the same stateroom category at the rate already paid, or best available fare.

Yes, and the best available fare is not going to cause a stampede to book.

Unfortunately, the Newbies will never know what they have missed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is sad. For us, being 30 and 40 something, working, and with young kids, Prinsendam was just not an option. We all loved the Maasdam however and are very sad to see the smaller ships being sold off. We never needed a flowrider or bungee jumping or ice skating rink. The personal more intimate service, great itineraries, and compact beautifully crafted ships were more than enough. Bigger is not always better.

Looks like the Prinsendam will bring a little more class to this odd German cruise line, than their recent history of cruise ship offerings.

Wow - "nice" words. Sometimes it is better to be "odd" than "mainstream" ... ;)

I will cruise on Phoenix Amadea in July 2019 - in my opinion a world class ship.

The Prinsendam fits perfectly into the Phoenix fleet!

How sad to say goodbye to the Prinsendam! She was the first ship we ever sailed on and is responsible for getting us hooked on cruising! Our third and final trip on the Prinsendam will be this August. I do think it is a shame that HAL is moving toward larger ships. I understand the economics behind it but still appreciate the intimacy of a smaller ship.

Here is to the Elegant Explorer-may she be long remembered by those of us lucky enough to have sailed on her!:champagne-toast:

How far up the Amazon does the cruise go? I've taken loaded tankers up to Manaus, which is over 700 miles upriver. Our length, beam, and draft were similar to the Rotterdam, and I saw larger tankers there at the time. We didn't have multiple propellers or thrusters, so any cruise ship would be better at getting out of trouble on the Amazon than any cargo ship. All ships have difficulties in the Amazon, the river shifts so much, that the pilots are more like the Mississippi riverboat captains of Mark Twain's era, shouting advice between ships about where the sand bars have moved to. Our electronic charts were so out of date, that we had the screen showing us plowing through the middle of an island, or a mile aground going around a bend.

The Prisendam itinerary showed up to Manaus. I haven't gotten any information on any possible itinerary change.

So, from what I'm reading of your post, the Volendam should also be able to go up to Manaus?

Sorry, I am just trying to clarify things in my mind to make a decision.

Thank you very much.

As well as air draft, there is the water depth at the dock, and the draft of the vessels. The port of Bordeaux states the max draft to be 7.5m. Prinsendam is 7.2m, Marina is 7.3, and Rotterdam is 8.1. So, regardless of Gross Tonnage (which remember is only a volume measurement), the Rotterdam (at 61,000 gt) sits deeper in the water than the Marina (at 66,000 gt), and the Prinsendam (at only 39,000 gt) sits almost as deep as Marina.

Air drafts are notoriously hard to pin down, but I suspect that with the much greater GT (volume), that Rotterdam is significantly higher than Prinsendam.

Thanks for sharing that information.

The Prisendam itinerary showed up to Manaus. I haven't gotten any information on any possible itinerary change.

So, from what I'm reading of your post, the Volendam should also be able to go up to Manaus?

Sorry, I am just trying to clarify things in my mind to make a decision.

Thank you very much.

There's plenty of water depth to get there, not sure about the cruise dock length, but you could always tender, and they have many water taxis to use in addition to the ship's tenders if needed.

Wow - "nice" words. Sometimes it is better to be "odd" than "mainstream" ... ;)

I will cruise on Phoenix Amadea in July 2019 - in my opinion a world class ship.

The Prinsendam fits perfectly into the Phoenix fleet!

Einzlen?

"Odd" collection of ships in this cruise line, in the meaning of no one overall standardized product. A former soviet cruise ship, a clunker like the Alexander von Humbioldt (which we cruised on as the Voyager), and now the singular class ex-Royal Viking Prinsendam.

Eccentric doesn't work either. I should have used the word "unique". If I spoke German, I would probably be one of Phoenix Reisen's happiest customers - small ships and unique world itineraries? Count me in. Gern.

Check your email. It says -

You will be re-accommodated to the below voyage in the same stateroom category at the rate already paid, or best available fare.

Yes, it does. I am trying to find any new pricing, but it doesn't seem to be up on the new HAL site yet. It also says we will get an email by July 4 with more details, so we are waiting for that.

I am not enamoured of the Rotterdam. Any new pricing will have to be really good to make us go on her again. The pricing on the Prinsendam (OV) was almost, pp and pd, what we paid for our expedition to Antarctica, where we landed.

Phoenix Reisen's ships Artania and Albatros were featured on Verrückt nach Meer (Crazy about the Sea). Seven seasons of the German TV series followed selected crew, passengers and entertainers. Many episodes are available on YouTube. It is fun to see German interns try to keep up with the work pace in the kitchen.

I'd be happy to sail with Phoenix Reisen. The line is definitely geared to a German speaking clientele, the onboard language is German, although the crew communicates with each other in English. Some Verrückt nach Meer episodes reminded me of Holland America when they dealt with broken pipes or air conditioning, bound to happen with older ships.

As I recall, their Deutschland was once the best rated ship in the world under previous owners. Phoenix Reisen no longer sails the Soviet ship. I don't see a problem with naming a ship Albatros, just don't get stuck with it around your neck.

Just received our new booking number for what was the early August 2019 Prinsendam Scottish Highlands, now on the Rotterdam. Price did go down and Prinsendam early booking bonus did carry over. Hmmm, and taxes/ fees&port expenses went from $540 to $400.

Thanks for your technical information. I didn’t want people to book on the Rotterdam thinking that they would be docked in downtown Bordeaux. And I suspected that there were several reasons, she couldn’t. I knew what the max draft was, but I did realize that could be a problem also,

Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line. "As we look to the future and focus on delivering the programming and innovations that our guests are asking for,

We did not ask for any innovations, we enjoyed the Prinsendam just the way she was...

On the Prinsendam five years ago when asked if the Prinsendam would be sold, the Captain said they were worried they would lose her loyal fans to whomever purchased her. So now CLL sells her to a German-language cruise line.

A perfect misfit for a primarily English-speaking North American passenger base, or as CLL President sneered on The Celebrity Apprentice, HAL being a "midwestern brand" cruise line. That was brilliant strategic thinking on CLL's part.:loudcry:

That'll teach us in the US to be lazy mono-linguists.

Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line. "As we look to the future and focus on delivering the programming and innovations that our guests are asking for,

We did not ask for any innovations, we enjoyed the Prinsendam just the way she was...

hear! hear! (y)

Just received our new booking number for what was the early August 2019 Prinsendam Scottish Highlands, now on the Rotterdam. Price did go down and Prinsendam early booking bonus did carry over. Hmmm, and taxes/ fees&port expenses went from $540 to $400.

I would hope that the port taxes would go down - it's not the same itinerary ;) Some similar ports but not the same.