Formal nights on Alaskan Cruise....anyone care to reply? Thanks

bill & jac

Celebrity no longer has formal nights per se Although some passengers choose to dress formally on the “elegant chic“ nights. See the Celebrity website for details of the Celebrity dress code. On a 7 night cruise ship expect two dress up nights.

Thank you both for your replies. We normally cruise RC and love the formal nights. Husband normally brings his kilt so didn't fancy trailing it from Scotland. I take it 'elegant chic' is the in thing. Thank you.

In Alaska the most important thing to bring is layered clothing. We did an excursion one morning and it was 30 degrees and raining. Pulled into the city later and it was in the 70s. This can be a daily occurrence.

Yes, I find layered clothing absolutely essential for dining in the MDR on elegant chic nights.:rolleyes:

We sailed on the Celebrity Millenium to Alaska 2 years ago and elegant chic ranged everywhere from full length dresses and hats to jeans and a collared shirt. I thought the jeans were pushing the envelop but no one from Celebrity seemed to think anything of it.

I believe you would be comfortable in whatever makes you are happy; for men, suit/sport coat(tie optional) and ladies dresses or dressy pants and tops.

We cruised in August and it was still chilly and rainy at times so plan for that and if you get lucky you may not need your slicker.

Have a great time, it's a beautiful cruise. We had a whale playing with the ship at one point and watched it breach along side our window. Beautiful ports of call, enjoyed them all.

Officially, short sleeve polo shirt is appropriate for any night but smart chic night. I believe I remember seeing men in polo type shirt on chic night but that isn't what you are "supposed" to wear. I suppose they could opt to tell you that you may not eat in the dining room without a collared long sleeve shirt. Will they do that? Probably not, but I think you would feel more comfortable in a long sleeve shirt or sweater.

Also, it's good to remember that it will likely be chilly on at least some of the nights and a long sleeve shirt/sweater may feel good.

We sailed on the Celebrity Millenium to Alaska 2 years ago and elegant chic ranged everywhere from full length dresses and hats to jeans and a collared shirt. I thought the jeans were pushing the envelop but no one from Celebrity seemed to think anything of it.

I believe you would be comfortable in whatever makes you are happy; for men, suit/sport coat(tie optional) and ladies dresses or dressy pants and tops.

Jeans are specifically listed in the Celebrity dress code as acceptable evening attire for both men and women.

Suits and sport coats are never required, but you are certainly welcome to wear them if you wish.

Are short sleeve polo shirts okay for dinner in the MDR for men or are long sleeve collared shirts necessary?

Either long or short sleeves are fine. You will see plenty of both.

Most passengers tend to dress casually on Alaska cruises, so the ones who dress formally really stand out.

As dkjretired stated, the most important thing about dressing is to bring layers that you can add or remove easily as needed because Alaska temperatures can change from very cold to very warm on the same day.

Do pack gloves and some kind of head covering, just in case. You may not need them at all, but if you do, you will be happy to have them.

Edited by varoo

Are short sleeve polo shirts okay for dinner in the MDR for men or are long sleeve collared shirts necessary?

Long sleeve shirts are never required. A polo shirt is fine. Have even seen polo shirts on chic night.

In Alaska the most important thing to bring is layered clothing. We did an excursion one morning and it was 30 degrees and raining. Pulled into the city later and it was in the 70s. This can be a daily occurrence.

What do you recommend for the layers the husband should wear under his kilt?

I agree that on Alaska cruises, it has been our experience that people tend to dress quite a bit more casually than on our other cruises. We did a B2B on Millie in May and on the first leg, I couldn't believe how casual people were - regardless of that nights official dress code. I don't care what place you are in, to me hiking pants, hiking shoes, athletic clothes, and hoodies or flannel shirts do not constitute evening chic, but we saw a lot of that in the evening. On the second leg, saw a bit less of that but overall much more casual than, say, a Caribbean cruise.

Despite the fact that we live in Alaska we periodically take Alaska cruises. This state is so large it gives us an excuse to visit a different part of our state. The past several years we have spent 60 to 90 nights on Celebrity ships, and I definitely think that the interpretation of "evening chic" is much more casual on Alaskan itineraries than on other itineraries.

I would hope underwear, perhaps you should read the rest of the thread before posting.

I think you missed the very old joke about a Scot and his kilt...

(Historically, one wore no layers beneath one's kilt. Some continue that tradition...)

Travelling from the UK on previous Alaska cruises, the dress code seems more relaxed on 'chic' evenings, than previous formal attire. Very few tuxes and long dresses. Most wear 'smarter attire' than other nights but this is not universal and entry to restaurants is not consistent across Celebrity. Polo shirts seem to be OK for men. It seems to be a collar and short sleeves (at the minimum) are the requirement for men with long trousers at the MDR and Speciality resturants although the latter and Blu operate a more relaxed requirement. Women, as long as it looks smart, it seems anything goes 😂.

Bottom line - do not fret with regards to evening chic, I'm sure that something you pack will fit in with the requirements 👍

I think you missed the very old joke about a Scot and his kilt...

(Historically, one wore no layers beneath one's kilt. Some continue that tradition...)

Sorry, never heard it and never really looked under the kilts, I’ll ask the wife maybe she did.

I believe you would be comfortable in whatever makes you are happy;

Having just returned from cruising Millennium (June 22 sailing)...I second this thought. The range of wear on "elegant chic" night ranged from floor length dress and heels (very, VERY rare) to clothing you'd wear to dinner at a casual sit down franchise.

I couldn't believe how casual people were - regardless of that nights official dress code. I don't care what place you are in, to me hiking pants, hiking shoes, athletic clothes, and hoodies or flannel shirts do not constitute evening chic, but we saw a lot of that in the evening.

Absolutely guilty as charged. I fully wore my plaid button down hoodie to dinner in the MDR. I think I changed my shoes as my hiking boots are HEAVY all leather deals and I desperately wanted to change out of them in the evening before heading into my later than 8:00 pm dinner. I know I wore hiking pants to dinner though. I might have been on the more casual end of the spectrum but I was not out of place.

For evening chic, I did see a kilt or two. One was the more Americanized heavy metal "cargo" looking kind of kilt. But I did see one "dress" kilt. I recall specifically because I said to DS that he could have brought his. We bought him one at a Renaissance faire a few years ago. It's a dress kilt with a white background plaid. Anyway...I saw polos, short sleeved button downs, long sleeved button downs, tie only, jacket only, sweaters, kilts, suits, dress coats, and even a tux or two. It was as far ranging as you can get and I didn't see anyone turned away from the MDR.

Personally, I wore a knit dress on elegant chic night. With Birkenstocks.

Hello,

Heading to Alaska July 18. I surely can't be the only person who wonders if there are formal nights onboard.

I'd be grateful just for one reply. Thank you so much x

Just got back. You can dress up as much as you want. We saw plenty of people wearing cocktail type attire and plenty (including us) who did not choose to bring those clothes. Husband wore slacks with collared shirt and a sweater and I wore slacks with a nice top. I saw one couple in formal attire.