New Ports?

Traveling is one of my passions and many of my friends are surprised that I enjoy cruising as I mostly travel independently, to far flung locations, stay at Airbnb’s, eat at local restaurants and enjoy culture, history, architecture.

I travel very “economically ” and often.

I call cruising my “easy” holiday. I love Carnival, I like the relative predictability of the experience. It’s like Starbucks, I know when I order a coffee at one of their stores in Tokyo or Miami, it’s going to be exactly what I want it to be.

I’ve done things on a cruise such as zip lining, kayaking, helmet diving that I really wouldn’t do anywhere else.

My rule with booking cruises is that there has to be at least one port I’ve never been to. I collect new locations as a hobby. It’s getting harder as I take more cruises!

I’m going on my 8th cruise in November, a journey cruise on the Breeze. New ports!!!

Are there any new ports you’d like to add to your collection?

I wouldn't mind if Carnival visited some Caribbean ports more often, like Grenada, Martinique, Barbados, Curacao, Bon Aire, or St Croix. Longer Journey cruises could have some of these on their itineraries.

However, Carnival sticks to the familiar, based on its passenger demographic.

Carnival rearranged itineraries a few years ago around the time of the Great Recession to maximize profit by cutting fuel costs and directing more calls in ports where Carnival has made investments. I wouldn't expect them to back-track on those decisions now. It would cost them money, especially with energy costs rising again. I'd expect Carnival will largely continue to focus on this strategy that for the most part includes the same familiar ports of call over and over again.

I don't cruise in the Med as I think European cities are much too rich in culture/sights to stop for only one day.

We are adding the Panama Canal cruise ports in Central American and South America this year and we are adding Cuba in 2019 but not on Carnival.

Oceania was the only line I found where you just visit ports in Cuba and not other Caribbean islands which don't interest me.

We may add river cruising in Europe in the future. I have taken many land vacations to Japan and Europe in order to spend more time in the cities /towns that interest me in those areas.

I don't cruise in the Med as I think European cities are much too rich in culture/sights to stop for only one day.

We are adding the Panama Canal cruise ports in Central American and South America this year and we are adding Cuba in 2019 but not on Carnival.

Oceania was the only line I found where you just visit ports in Cuba and not other Caribbean islands which don't interest me.

We may add river cruising in Europe in the future. I have taken many land vacations to Japan and Europe in order to spend more time in the cities /towns that interest me in those areas.

I love cruising the med. You are right, you arent going to see everything in a day. But, we have spent land vacation time in alot of those cities already so a day is just fine now.

Also a great way to maybe see more far flung ports for a day, that you decide you want to fly back to and spend a week down the road.

Great deals especially from Barcelona and Athens, with pretty reasonable airfare from the east coast for us.

Friends we cruise with are feeling the same as us. Same ole, same ole. So we booked a journey cruise in February that goes to St. Croix, Guadelope, Martinique, Barbados, Tortola, Antigua and St. Marrten

This cruise will be our 25th and we have only been to 3 of these islands in the past.

There are cruises out there to different ports. Then other times, it not about the ports for us. It's just nice to get away and enjoy the ship.

I'll be going on my 8th in April next year, and until this year they have been Bahamas cruises with one West coast Mexican cruise thrown in and DH has only done the Bahamas and Grand Turk. So, last year, we also decided that for our next few cruises to only go on ones with new to us ports. We did our first Western Caribbean with 4 new ports back in May and we have the 8 day Eastern Caribbean booked for April with 3 out of 4 are new ports. After that, we are looking at doing the New England/Canada cruise that another couple we are friends with are looking at doing, so we still have some more port options for awhile :D

We have basically gotten tired of Caribbean so these days most of our cruises are to Europe.

To me it has come to the point of exploring different options to do at each port.

Searching and Google Earth has shown very interesting results.

Like OP, I usually go on a cruise only if there is a new port on the itinerary. Carnival offers no new ports for me, I've been to something over 100, so a Carnival cruise is a rarity for me. Holland America on the other hand, has exciting new places to visit. Therefore, HAL has been my choice for cruising the last few years and will continue to be in the foreseeable future. If itinerary is important to you, branch out. You will find cruising enjoyable again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wouldn't mind if Carnival visited some Caribbean ports more often, like Grenada, Martinique, Barbados, Curacao, Bon Aire, or St Croix. Longer Journey cruises could have some of these on their itineraries.

Cruises to Curacao and Aruba are pretty easy to find on Carnival right now out of Miami and Port Canaveral. The Miami ones include a stop at La Romana, DR also.

Friends we cruise with are feeling the same as us. Same ole, same ole. So we booked a journey cruise in February that goes to St. Croix, Guadelope, Martinique, Barbados, Tortola, Antigua and St. Marrten

This cruise will be our 25th and we have only been to 3 of these islands in the past.

There are cruises out there to different ports. Then other times, it not about the ports for us. It's just nice to get away and enjoy the ship.

I had originally considered this cruise because of the French Islands I’ve never visited. It’s fantastic itinerary. I’m sure you’ll have a lovely time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To me it has come to the point of exploring different options to do at each port.

Searching and Google Earth has shown very interesting results.

Some ports like Cozumel really lend themselves to return visits. There is a large variety of activities and experiences. Others like Grand Turk are quite small. I’ve been there three times in 7 cruises. Then again, there are worse places to revisit than Grand Turk!

I'll be going on my 8th in April next year, and until this year they have been Bahamas cruises with one West coast Mexican cruise thrown in and DH has only done the Bahamas and Grand Turk. So, last year, we also decided that for our next few cruises to only go on ones with new to us ports. We did our first Western Caribbean with 4 new ports back in May and we have the 8 day Eastern Caribbean booked for April with 3 out of 4 are new ports. After that, we are looking at doing the New England/Canada cruise that another couple we are friends with are looking at doing, so we still have some more port options for awhile :D

A “non tropical” cruise to New England and Canada, would certainly be a different experience. I’m waiting for the fall 2020 itineraries to appear. It would take me to a part of my own country, I’ve never been to, Atlantic Canada. It’s a great idea.

"A “non tropical” cruise to New England and Canada, would certainly be a different experience. I’m waiting for the fall 2020 itineraries to appear. It would take me to a part of my own country, I’ve never been to, Atlantic Canada. It’s a great idea. "

I am also looking forward to booking this itinerary again for Fall 2020. Even the third week in Sept did not yet have Fall foliage so book an October sailing if you want to see the Fall colors. Dress in layers because the mornings are cool and you will most likely have rain but it will warm up nicely in the afternoon. Halifax is my favorite port on this itinerary. The "Public Garden" and the "Citadel" are great points of interest in Halifax and are within a nicee 30 minute walk to the pier. Enjoy this Canada/New England cruise on Carnival.

`

Edited by JohnSpo

Carnival absolutely visits every one of those islands. Some of them may only be available on Journeys. I went to Barbados through Carnival two months ago. Loved it!

For me, I love the Carribean. I'm not much of Europe fan. Sure there a few places I'd like to go there. When I think of vacation, I want beautiful beaches with warm weather. The Carribean does that.

I'd love to do a New England/Canada itenerary. I live in the south and have only done Caribbean, since that's what's within driving distance for us. I've never been to NY or any of the ports on the New England/Canada cruises, so it would be all new to me. Just gotta convince the husband to go for it and let's fly to NYC!