Just off the Caribbean Princess....any questions?

mcgratru

I think the dining "experiments" on the Caribbean Princess will be detrimental for new bookings across the fleet. Absolutely will not go on the CB, and considering canceling my open future cruise booking. The severe cutbacks were not limited to the buffet. The main dining room was equally poor. Princess, don't try to be what RCCL and NCL are!

I think the dining "experiments" on the Caribbean Princess will be detrimental for new bookings across the fleet. Absolutely will not go on the CB, and considering canceling my open future cruise booking. The severe cutbacks were not limited to the buffet. The main dining room was equally poor. Princess, don't try to be what RCCL and NCL are!

This isn't a question, it is a statement that offers nothing to this thread. If you wish to review your cruise please do so in the appropriate place or thread.

I agree- they definitely are testing for the pay extra dining. I stressed to the staff that reducing the buffet dinner to the extent they had was not to my liking. But Planks and Steamers were definitely not busy any night we walked thru. We ate twice at Crown Grill - it was busy.

I think they have to readdress this plan as its not working well - for passengers or for profits - which is why they keep tweaking it.

We tend to stay away from all these "extra" pay restaurants (other than Sabatini's or Crown Grill occasionally) since it only encourages them to offer even more of them as can be seen on the CB.

It appears obvious that they seem to be cutting back on the normally served items in order to drive business to the new ventures. :(

Two comments.

1.You say that the cabins were not "ready" until 1 PM but did they block you from making your way to them to at least drop off your bags?

2. It sounds like the reduction of dinner items/service at the Horizon buffet was done purposely to drive people to the pay extra dinner places (Steamers and Planks).:(

After all, any changes that Princess comes up with lately is always centered around profit and not just to attract passengers for free.

What better way to drive them to pay more than reduce the free stuff. :D

Your key will not work in the slot. It will stay red and locked, not green to open. I had that on the Royal recently

We tend to stay away from all these "extra" pay restaurants (other than Sabatini's or Crown Grill occasionally) since it only encourages them to offer even more of them as can be seen on the CB.

It appears obvious that they seem to be cutting back on the normally served items in order to drive business to the new ventures. :(

Agree with this. On previous ships, there was shrimp available almost daily in the buffet, but on our cruise this summer on the CB, no shrimp any day that my wife could find. Probably because of steamers.

We have also quit going to specialty restaurants for similar reasons, don't want them to continue to take foods that were previously included in your cruise fare, and making them pay for options. It also bothered me that they now want $5 for a hamburger at the burger bar.

Your key will not work in the slot. It will stay red and locked, not green to open. I had that on the Royal recently

That's on ships with *****, correct?

My next thought is why?

If the cabin was ready why keep people out?

It doesn't make much sense.

Agree with this. On previous ships, there was shrimp available almost daily in the buffet, but on our cruise this summer on the CB, no shrimp any day that my wife could find. Probably because of steamers.

We have also quit going to specialty restaurants for similar reasons, don't want them to continue to take foods that were previously included in your cruise fare, and making them pay for options. It also bothered me that they now want $5 for a hamburger at the burger bar.

I believe you're referring to the Ernest burger. If so isn't it $12?

If not which bar charges $5 for a burger?

Were the theatre shows from the Princess Singers and Dancers different on the two legs?

The shows were the same. On another note, at least two of the trivia sessions used the same questions.:confused:

That's on ships with *****, correct?

My next thought is why?

If the cabin was ready why keep people out?

It doesn't make much sense.

I believe you're referring to the Ernest burger. If so isn't it $12?

If not which bar charges $5 for a burger?

I think the burger is $5, but I could be wrong. Didn't buy it. The Steamers/Planks is $12 I think. Didn't try any of it.

There is a Salty Dog "Gastropub" on some ships inside the Wheelhouse bar

On some ships? - there is a Salty Dog "Grill" that has taken the place of the Trident Grill

now while I've never eaten at either Salty Dog...I believe there is an option at the SDGrill that you can order the signature Ernesto Burger for $5 - and add a beer for $3 more

the burger will be cooked to order, within guidelines, and you will be given a beeper to come back and get your order...:cool:

Are there any "can't miss" onboard activities or shows? Are there some that you would recommend skipping entirely?

The mentalists or juggling acts are usually the least impressive BUT if there's nothing else happening at the same time it's a good time for a nap. ;)

Does this apply to suite passengers also? We're wanting to board early but may not if our suite won't be accessible till 1pm.

Yes, I had a window suite in May. No access till 1. I went to CC for noon lunch and by the time I was done cabin open.

Bummer! I was hoping you'd say suite people can access their room right away. This means we won't rush to leave the hotel Saturday morning.

A lot of disappointing info here. The wife and I are scheduled for a 14 day on this boat at the end of October and it sounds like we may need to rethink this as our final payment is due in a couple of weeks. Previously we found the buffets on princess cruises to be really enjoyable and to have a great selection varying throughout the cruise. It sounds like that may no longer be the case.

A lot of disappointing info here. The wife and I are scheduled for a 14 day on this boat at the end of October and it sounds like we may need to rethink this as our final payment is due in a couple of weeks. Previously we found the buffets on princess cruises to be really enjoyable and to have a great selection varying throughout the cruise. It sounds like that may no longer be the case.

Personally I wouldn't let this keep me from a cruise. Cruise Critic is such a small minority of cruisers...take everything you read on these boards with a grain of salt.

Personally I wouldn't let this keep me from a cruise. Cruise Critic is such a small minority of cruisers...take everything you read on these boards with a grain of salt.

I absolutely agree!

Too many contributors to this site look for minor problems that they make more substantial than they really are. There is nothing wrong with pointing out issues, positive or negative, but many times these same people sometimes feel a need to over dramatize minor things to allow them to stick out their chest and make themselves appear more important than they really are. My best advice is to not take all comments with a substantial grain of salt and enjoy you cruise.

We had such a good time on the Caribbean Princess a few years ago that we are going on her again in October. We have not tried the new buffet yet, however we have been quite happy with the buffets on this ship as well as 2 other grand class ships. We also like the International café for an afternoon snack, and afternoon tea is lovely.