Adventure or Symphony-opinions

Looking to cruise Nov 2019.

Narrowed down to 8 night on Adventure or 7 night on Symphony.

We have already sailed on both Oasis class & Voyager class ships so I know the differences.

Cost difference is negligible, same cabin category on both & ports don't matter to us (been there done that).

So, extra night but older ship, or 1 less night but newer ship?

Any opinions & reasons for choosing one over the other would be greatly appreciated.

Really torn, but I am leaning towards 8 nightery.

Was Adventure refurbished recently?

You're all bringing up great points.

Glad Adventure had a recent drydock, even though still 20ish years old.

Sounds like her drydock was more of a refurbishment & not a refit with the newest features that they have added to other ships?

Half steel balcony? Does this refer to the front wall of the balcony?

I was leaning to the 8 night since we don't cruise that often & wanted the extra day, but the Symphony is clearly in the lead from your opinions so far

You're all bringing up great points.

Glad Adventure had a recent drydock, even though still 20ish years old.

Sounds like her drydock was more of a refurbishment & not a refit with the newest features that they have added to other ships?

Half steel balcony? Does this refer to the front wall of the balcony?

I was leaning to the 8 night since we don't cruise that often & wanted the extra day, but the Symphony is clearly in the lead from your opinions so far

Her dry dock included the addition of several new features, like waterslides, Splashaway Bay, Izumi, Chops, a Suite Lounge, and cabins of course. All existing cabins got a general refresh with new carpets, drapes and furniture. Other areas throughout the ship were updated with new carpet/upholstery/etc. Also, Adventure is only 17 :)

The steel balcony comment is referring to the railing of the balcony. On deck 6, it is basically solid steel, and on the decks above that the steel is about halfway up, with glass the rest of the way. Hope that makes sense.

I originally recommended Symphony because I love the Oasis Class when sailing in the Caribbean, but Adventure is still a great ship. I'll actually be on her in less than 2 months.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Looking to cruise Nov 2019.

Narrowed down to 8 night on Adventure or 7 night on Symphony.

We have already sailed on both Oasis class & Voyager class ships so I know the differences.

Cost difference is negligible, same cabin category on both & ports don't matter to us (been there done that).

So, extra night but older ship, or 1 less night but newer ship?

Any opinions & reasons for choosing one over the other would be greatly appreciated.

Really torn, but I am leaning towards 8 nightery.

Was Adventure refurbished recently?

Sailing on the Adventure for the first time in a couple of weeks. However, we sailed on the Harmony and it was a wonderful ship! Especially if you can swing a grand suite or above. The perks are the best! Lots of specialty restaurants, great entertainment including a Bway show.

I am sure the Adventure will be fun- but it has a really hard act to follow.

I'm siding with Bob on this one. I'd go for Adventure too (and in fact have been looking at that 8-nighter in November 2019). Apart from what Bob said, we make very little use of all the bells and whistles on the bigger ship, so would prefer to have an extra day of cruising.

If you want the feeling of being on a cruise ship, I’d pick Adventure. It has a lot of the benefits of a large ship (ice skating rink, mall) but you can still see the water when you walk through most of the floors.

In my opinion, the age of the ship doesn’t matter. None of my cruises have been ruined because there’s a spot of metal showing on a pillar.

Ports

Adventure: Curacao, Bonaire, Aruba

Symphony:Honduras, Puerto Costa Maya, Cozumel, Coco Cay

Symphony has 2 other itineraries, but they are the traditional eastern & western islands that I have been to several times.

While some of the islands would be new for us on both itineraries, the islands have never been the real attraction of cruising for us.

The decision we are really weighing is 8 night on older ship or 7 night on newer ship.

We have enjoyed both Oasis & Voyager class ships before.

Having just come off the Harmony, would the Adventure be a disappointment?

I think the ship is more significant than the difference between 7 and 8 nights especially if the itinerary is not that important to you. Do you prefer all the options on Oasis class or the better sea views on Voyager class? If you think you will be disappointed with Adventure go for Symphony.

... Having just come off the Harmony, would the Adventure be a disappointment?

Not for us, we would enjoy the cooler Solarium and pool, and the shows without the need for reservations.:)

Do you like the option to a see a given show on a choice of nights, albeit booked in advance?

Do Aquatheater diving shows entertain you?

Do you like buying multiple specialty restaurant packages?

Do you enjoy chilling at (or walking through en route to other places) Central Park, or messing around the Board Walk?

At the end of a 7-night cruise, are you about ready to go home, or aching for more?

Torn between Oasis-class & Voyager-class, those questions would resonate in my mind. I'd go Symphony, but that's me.

Richard.

Price and ports the same? Symphony....newer and to a of amenities, first class entertainment, neighborhoods. Extra day is nice but still no brainer to me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

drrich

some of my answers to your questions point me to Symphony & some to Adventure.

The aqua shows are phenomenal, but I never want to leave so the 8th night is a big plus.

We typically are able to cruise only 1 time every 3 or 4 years.

This year has been very unusual & only possible due to Visa points & a free cruise 2 weeks ago.

Bob-not having to prebook shows is a plus. I had to make a grid to figure out when all of the shows on Harmony were doable with dinner plans. I know on Adventure the nightly show will already be scheduled around traditional seating dinner times.

Still very torn, but I greatly appreciate all of the input & points. It is giving me more aspects to think about to weigh my decision .