Captain Kate?

39august

You may find Captain Kate almost anywhere on the ship. The last time I sailed with her she was serving cookies and pastries at Cafe Al Bacio. She told me the crew would not let her serve the coffee! Just her sense of humor. It is also a real treat to meet her cat Bug Naked.

Carolyn

I would love to sail with this Captain, she sounds like a really interesting and fun person!

However, I wonder, is it standard across Celebrity to call all Captains by their first name?

Never seen this on any other cruise (all of which had male captains)... seems odd.

I would love to sail with this Captain, she sounds like a really interesting and fun person!

However, I wonder, is it standard across Celebrity to call all Captains by their first name?

Never seen this on any other cruise (all of which had male captains)... seems odd.

Well, the previous Captain was known as Captain Leo but other Celebrity Captains are not known by their first name. It’s not standard. Royal Caribbean has Captain Johnny. So calling Captains by their first name while not standard is not unknown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need to quote 2 posts, don't know how:

So her cat - Sphinx, buck naked...I was wondering how she keeps her black pants so dander free, now I know.

Yes, she should be called Captain, but that is the ONE thing that bothered me about her (loved her personality, visibility, boat driving skills) - but male captains worked hard to get there, too...really felt she diminished herself with her constant references to being a female captain, and worse her self-deprecating jokes about "now, which purse did I leave the keys to the ship in?"...You are the CAPTAIN, dammit, no need to draw attention to the fact you are a woman...you were educated, trained, worked your way up...do NOT diminish that, men did it, too...you are a GREAT captain, not just a great female captain.

Need to quote 2 posts, don't know how:

So her cat - Sphinx, buck naked...I was wondering how she keeps her black pants so dander free, now I know.

Yes, she should be called Captain, but that is the ONE thing that bothered me about her (loved her personality, visibility, boat driving skills) - but male captains worked hard to get there, too...really felt she diminished herself with her constant references to being a female captain, and worse her self-deprecating jokes about "now, which purse did I leave the keys to the ship in?"...You are the CAPTAIN, dammit, no need to draw attention to the fact you are a woman...you were educated, trained, worked your way up...do NOT diminish that, men did it, too...you are a GREAT captain, not just a great female captain.

I think folks need to lighten up. I was on that cruise where she made the purse/keys reference. It was a little bit of levity. Folks enjoyed it. In additional to being a professional, it humanized her.

I think folks need to lighten up. I was on that cruise where she made the purse/keys reference. It was a little bit of levity. Folks enjoyed it. In additional to being a professional, it humanized her.

Which cruise was "that"? How do you know she doesn't have the same jokes for every cruise?

As a woman, I don't think it becomes you to diminish yourself. Sorry.

Which cruise was "that"? How do you know she doesn't have the same jokes for every cruise?

As a woman, I don't think it becomes you to diminish yourself. Sorry.

We were on the same cruise as the poster who mentioned the joke. Doesn't mater if she made the same joke on another cruise. It didn't diminish her in the least. Maybe other women should not have such thin skin. :rolleyes:

We were on the same cruise as the poster who mentioned the joke. Doesn't mater if she made the same joke on another cruise. It didn't diminish her in the least. Maybe other women should not have such thin skin. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should recognize that everyone else’s opinion is just as valid as yours. And do you have any other emoji besides the sarcastic one?

Good. Maybe she stopped. But it was also mentioned on the concurrent Jokes (or similarly named) thread. (it's the Captain Emoji68 thread).

Hope she hasn’t stopped. Nothing wrong with the joke and having a sense of humor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Captain known by his first name is Captain Alex. He alternated with Captain Kate on the Summit. I have sailed with both of them and they are both great. Captain Alex has the cutest daughter. She was about 2 years old when I sailed with him. He was dancing with her up in Revelstions at the Captains Club gathering.

I loved cruising with Captain Kate! I think pointing out that she is a female captain is a positive thing- it is a reminder how limited the industry has been and that she is one of the ones breaking down the barriers!

I also think the purse joke is funny but then I hear it as a slightly sarcastic response to comments about traditional female roles- good on her! But to each their own.

I was amazed at how visible she was was, and how visible her officers were. I have noticed this is slipping on other ships, which I miss.

If X wants to make $, they should offer meet n' greets with Bug Naked! :D:D:DI just learned about her and am following on Instagram. So adorable!

Cheers,

Another Captain known by his first name is Captain Alex. He alternated with Captain Kate on the Summit. I have sailed with both of them and they are both great. Captain Alex has the cutest daughter. She was about 2 years old when I sailed with him. He was dancing with her up in Revelstions at the Captains Club gathering.

On my recent Summit cruise I believe I heard crew members calling Captain Ioannis Kasimatis "Captain Ioannis." He seemed like a good guy.

Captain Kate has definitely stopped making the joke about her keys and purse. I haven't heard her say it in quite some time now. But I definitely did hear her say it the first 2 or 3 times I sailed with her.

On my recent Summit cruise I believe I heard crew members calling Captain Ioannis Kasimatis "Captain Ioannis." He seemed like a good guy.

I agree - Captain Ioannis does seem like a really good guy. I was fortunate enough to have lunch with him last month and sat right next to him. He's really down to earth and I can see why the crew members like and respect him. He didn't have the sense of humor that either of his predecessors (i.e. Captain Alex and Captain Kate) had, but he seemed like a really genuine person.

Captain Alex was the most personable and humorous captain that I have experienced!