Captain Kate?

39august

When does Captain Kate return to Equinox and will she be on board Sept. 24, please? How many weeks are Captains on and how many off?

Captains are typically on for anywhere between 10 weeks and 3 months and then take about the same time off before returning. Captain Kate's timing has been a bit different as she went from the Summit to EQ with just a short break between them.

Steve

Just wondering what is so special about Capt. Kate.

Rollie

Rollie, I think you have to sail with her to appreciate her. She's out and about. She'll stop and talk to you in the hallway. I'm sure all Celebrity captains are excellent captains. Captain Kate just happens to have exceptional people skills. I sailed with her three times in the last year. Have been on several bridge tours over the years. Hers was the first that I've attended which was actually conducted by the captain and she was able to explain things in a way that made sense to nontechnical me.

Thanks for the info. Can Elite members get a bridge tour or is this only for higher ranking members or suites?

We're only Select with Celebrity and have never sailed in a cabin above regular balcony but have done two bridge tours. We always ask at the Connections Party about bridge tours and have had our names added to a list of those interested. Got calls later with a time and date. Always worth asking...

Thanks for the info. Can Elite members get a bridge tour or is this only for higher ranking members or suites?

I had a couple of bridge tours and an engine room control room tour when I was an Elite. I was noy in a suite. I don't know how I was selected, I didn't ask for them, but my guess is it was either because I made a good impression on someone or just good luck. My suggestion though would be if you really want a bridge tour would be to mention it to the Captains Club hostess.

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks Linda, hope she’s still aboard wehen we cruise in December.

Rollie

Unfortunately she will be on vacation in December. She returns August 18 and then will go on vacation again around November 10 and be back early February. I had asked her on Instagram because we are sailing in September and March and i wondered if she would be on board for our cruises.

Rollie, I think you have to sail with her to appreciate her. She's out and about. She'll stop and talk to you in the hallway. I'm sure all Celebrity captains are excellent captains. Captain Kate just happens to have exceptional people skills. I sailed with her three times in the last year. Have been on several bridge tours over the years. Hers was the first that I've attended which was actually conducted by the captain and she was able to explain things in a way that made sense to nontechnical me.

20 plus cruises and Captain Kate is the only captain I can name from memory. She made the 'Captainship' look and feel fun. Her daily riddles plus the shenanigans she pulls with the foghorn vs. other ships is a pleasant surprise from the norm.

Probably won't pick a ship just for her but certainly won't object if she ever shows up as our captain again.

:cool:

When does Captain Kate return to Equinox and will she be on board Sept. 24, please? How many weeks are Captains on and how many off?

Hopefully she will be on board in October!

20 plus cruises and Captain Kate is the only captain I can name from memory. She made the 'Captainship' look and feel fun. Her daily riddles plus the shenanigans she pulls with the foghorn vs. other ships is a pleasant surprise from the norm.

Probably won't pick a ship just for her but certainly won't object if she ever shows up as our captain again.

That's probably because you don't speak Greek. :D

That's probably because you don't speak Greek. :D

That's what my husband said - "she's the only one I've ever been able to understand".

She also gave us the smoothest cruise we've ever been on (could have been a coincidence but we were appreciative).

That's what my husband said - "she's the only one I've ever been able to understand".

She also gave us the smoothest cruise we've ever been on (could have been a coincidence but we were appreciative).

Captains do have some influence on the smoothness of the sailing as they can sometimes tweak the route or timing if there are issues. But no one except a higher power has control over the oceans and that is what dictates how smooth any particular cruise is going to be. Definitely a coincidence.

That said, I will add my two cents that I love Captain Kate. I think it is true that we remember her name because she is the only female captain on Celebrity and it is a short, common, and easy to remember name. At the same time, she is also extremely personable and visible on the ship.

In response to the person asking about bridge tours, we are Elite Plus and haven't been invited to a regular bridge tour since probably 20 years ago. We did get a special one a couple years ago on the college cruise from h**l on Connie. We happened to be talking to one of the officers about all the issues on that cruise and to help make up for it he offered us a personal tour of the bridge. No Captain there, but it was really nice and a thoughtful gesture. But if not for that, unless you are in a high level suite you likely will not get an invite.

My DH and I have sailed with her twice. Both times she made the trip more enjoyable by being so visible and personable. I was even able to pose for several pictures with her. She is also a really good captain and cares for the safety of her guests. She also used to take the Summit by the Statute of Liberty before leaving NY Harbor. I see other ships doing that now so I wonder if she started it. You know you are in good hands sailing with Captain Kate!!

My DH and I have sailed with her twice. Both times she made the trip more enjoyable by being so visible and personable. I was even able to pose for several pictures with her. She is also a really good captain and cares for the safety of her guests. She also used to take the Summit by the Statute of Liberty before leaving NY Harbor. I see other ships doing that now so I wonder if she started it. You know you are in good hands sailing with Captain Kate!!

Captain Leo started it. He was the Captain if the Summit just prior to Captain Kate. He was also a visible Captain. I was on the Summit the first time the Summit sailed by the Statue of Liberty. They have to get permission from the Harbormaster. It doesn’t happen every sailing. Depends on weather and getting permission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk