Most convenient US port to sail out of

Funbobby68

Hi again all , planning a couple more cruises , and looking to change it up a bit from the usual . We are just happy cruising so honestly ports are secondary to just being sailing anywhere .

So with that said , what are the easiest port to sail out of and why .

People complained a lot about Galveston, but other than the hour drive from Houston,never really had a problem, not like the old Vancouver port .....

Easiest port, Jacksonville. Literally nothing but the port, no city to navigate around it, no hassle parking. Hotel half a mile from the port.

The question is "what is the most convenient port" and the obvious answer is "the one you can easily drive to". But since everyone's travel situation is different, driving is not a factor.

otherwise, the answer in my opinion is Port Everglades. There is a large airport only 10 minutes away (or less). You can literally see the cruise ships from the airport gates. The large number of flights in and out plus a close port, makes this one the most convenient AND gives you the most choices in cruises. In a pinch, you could also fly into Miami, another large airport close in and commute to Port Canaveral fairly inexpensively.

In close second is Miami for the inverse reason. You have tons of choices there too, AND you have the option to use FLL as an airport in addition to Miami, both large airports with lots of flights in and out from around the country. Its 2nd because the cruise port is a good 15 - 20 minutes away from Miami airport, or 30-40 minutes to FLL.

The question is "what is the most convenient port" and the obvious answer is "the one you can easily drive to". But since everyone's travel situation is different, driving is not a factor.

otherwise, the answer in my opinion is Port Everglades. There is a large airport only 10 minutes away (or less). You can literally see the cruise ships from the airport gates. The large number of flights in and out plus a close port, makes this one the most convenient AND gives you the most choices in cruises. In a pinch, you could also fly into Miami, another large airport close in and commute to Port Canaveral fairly inexpensively.

In close second is Miami for the inverse reason. You have tons of choices there too, AND you have the option to use FLL as an airport in addition to Miami, both large airports with lots of flights in and out from around the country. Its 2nd because the cruise port is a good 15 - 20 minutes away from Miami airport, or 30-40 minutes to FLL.

Agree.

For us it's Boston, NYC, NJ, Baltimore.

Otherwise Fort Lauderdale... and for more interesting itins San Juan.

New Orleans has the advantage of the parking garage adjacent to the terminal. Park and a short stroll and you're in the terminal. Big Easy Peasy. ;-)
T1 in PC has the garage attached to the terminal [emoji41][emoji573]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New Orleans has the advantage of the parking garage adjacent to the terminal. Park and a short stroll and you're in the terminal. Big Easy Peasy. ;-)

Isn’t it like this in all ports?

At least in all East Cost Ports.

Cost are very different. From $15 per day in Baltimore to $40 in Manhattan. Mostly $20.

Isn’t it like this in all ports?

At least in all East Cost Ports.

Cost are very different. From $15 per day in Baltimore to $40 in Manhattan. Mostly $20.

Seattle and Vancouver are expensive for parking , I only paid 40 bucks for the week in Galveston

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When one cruises ,

Does one cruise for the port , cruise line , ship or itinerary?

This is such a great question, you should start your own thread... I bet you'd get pages of people answering.

My preferences have changed a bit over the years, now with itinerary as the #1 factor.

Can't beat San Diego. No drive to the seaport if you stay downtown. Ten minutes from airport to cruise port. Not a "working" port, but a cruise port. It can't beat Vancouver, but then again what can? More hotels and restaurants within ten minutes of the cruise ship that any place I have sailed from. Plus, can't even name all the attractions and theme parks within 20 minutes. Oh, did I mention the best year round weather in the US? Best of all the fighter jets taking off at dusk from North Island with after burners.

Shame that Royal doesn't sail from there. They have a long way to go to become a major cruise port.

I was there last August and it was hazy all week. Never got a good sunset.

Actually RCI has one Panama Canal departure scheduled to depart from San Diego next year. I agree that the San Diego has a long way to go as a cruise port. Some of this is based on the lack of interesting nearby destinations other than Mexico. Also, the city/state really isn't all that friendly to the cruise industry with more regulations and costs than other ports.

I live in NE and prefer Boston , no need to fly...................

I wish there was more sailing from Boston!

Other than to Bermuda (late spring-summer) and Canada(fall)

Doesn't Serenade do the late fall repo out of Boston.

I know.. but it's a repo. We don't fly over US.

Only overseas.