Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Lola, it was just beautiful around Lake Como. I can see why it's so popular. But it was a bit too crowded for our liking, and it's not even high season. Next time we will go a little more off the beaten path.

• Like 1

Only here and there, QSS.  Mostly a bit flat and ideal for growing vegetables.  But there are honourable exceptions.  I wish now I had given myself a different pen name; mine sounds so stuffy and old!  Explains why Jeff and I decided I should  become the more racy

Lola

(Old but not stuffy)

(Does stuffy mean something different in the US?  Hope not)

• Like 1

I'm surprised to see you staying at the Hilton - how American of you! Como would not seem quite so crowded if you stayed right down on the shore at one of the three or four traditional luxe joints such as Villa D'Este, Tremezzo or Mandarin Oriental.  There is also a great-looking new kid on the block called Grand Hotel Vittoria at Menaggio. I'm enjoying following your trip, especially the food.

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I'm surprised to see you staying at the Hilton - how American of you! Como would not seem quite so crowded if you stayed right down on the shore at one of the three or four traditional luxe joints such as Villa D'Este, Tremezzo or Mandarin Oriental.  There is also a great-looking new kid on the block called Grand Hotel Vittoria at Menaggio. I'm enjoying following your trip, especially the food.

yes, those hotels (especially Villa D'Este )are wonderful. However, it is prime season and also some people travel within their budget and get to see the same lake and surroundings. 😉

LOL @Fletcher, you do have a good point. We looked at Villa d'Este but it was fully booked for our planned dates (we only put this trip together at the end of April). 

Friday June 10th. Lakeside Anniversary! 

Well Chris has tolerated me for another year so time to celebrate! We decided to go to Bellagio today and do a "boat" tour on the public ferry.

Breakfast as usual. Then a check with the concierge about our dinner reservation for tonight. He didn't see it in the system but he immediately called the restaurant and confirmed it for us! Excellent. 

We wandered over to the ferry docks and joined the scrum for tickets. They would only sell one-way tickets so we got on the next fast ferry leaving at 11.

Nice smooth ride and plenty of good views.

20220610_111253.thumb.jpg.5beb8555bac370cadcadb758080a54d0.jpg

20220610_114659.thumb.jpg.f1bd3eb8b76129a1e39daff51cb7a4e8.jpg

We arrived at Bellagio before noon and went to the northern tip for a nice lake view. Varenna is somewhere on the right hand shore.

20220610_131713.thumb.jpg.0515e6192c0366f585419e482b56055b.jpg

And there was a restaurant there which seemed to have a great location. A quick scan of the menu revealed that the prices were similar to those we'd seen in town so we got a table and settled in. 

20220610_121641.thumb.jpg.2ce2c06144f3bb2e9fc2a798cb24ba74.jpg

Some Parma ham for an appetizer. 

20220610_121736.thumb.jpg.a9ddcb9441718f0dd39069c4bbf87368.jpg

Chris had a tomato based pasta dish and I had filled pasta in a radicchio-cream sauce which was incredibly tasty. And amazingly rich.

20220610_123353.thumb.jpg.a5089a0d1010f9fd57b28468c3c1b6a2.jpg

We headed into town again and stopped off at a wine bar, Enoteca Cava Turacciolo. Flights of wine were avaliable. Sure, we're in!

One of mine was an orange Malvasia. Delicious! 

20220610_140130.thumb.jpg.28ea7ccd6df5e63ab3d69c50448a2c39.jpg

We spent a leisurely two hours tasting wines, and ended up with four more bottles to bring home. Now to get home...

We were disappointed to learn that the 3:50 fast ferry was completely sold out! So we had to take the 4PM slow ferry which stops frequently and takes three times longer.

It turned out OK, as we got an outdoor seat and relaxed while taking in the beautiful views. We should have been on that little boat.

20220610_161512.thumb.jpg.444a5cde05438fe2c903d02506ac2532.jpg

20220610_163532.thumb.jpg.1df9525323f618df3412933274528da1.jpg

We finally approached Como a little after 6PM. We had good views of the fountain at Villa Geno, which we had planned to see tomorrow. That will save time.

20220610_180855.thumb.jpg.48266bb7a608b191aebc480017a279af.jpg

Unfortunately we docked at the furthest possible ferry dock from our hotel. It was basically at the funicular station. So, a 30 minute walk to the hotel.

Time to clean up and head for dinner. The rooftop terrace looks like a nice spot, and they gave us a prime table with a view of Como and Brunate. Maybe they knew it was our anniversary? 

20220610_195241.thumb.jpg.59b64a57decb83202c3d4a374bbaf2fc.jpg

Chris reluctantly agreed to share the Amarone with me.

20220610_202238.thumb.jpg.8ff3a1c46deda04d32bf2f4655a2ae45.jpg

We had a nice tomahawk steak for two. A little overcooked but sea salt and olive oil made up for it.

20220610_202559.thumb.jpg.b4859cadf4844c0b552c606e49785707.jpg

Desserts were tasty as well.

20220610_212657.thumb.jpg.4f0cf3c99fb7354c0369618691a5ad7c.jpg

20220610_212701.thumb.jpg.1e6e30b6882fd13be89815bc05b5fa39.jpg

Now for the inevitable. The USA has announced the end of the preflight covid testing requirement, but it takes effect on Sunday. We are flying home tomorrow (Saturday) ! Just missed the reprieve. 

We tested negative though, and we got to use our last two eMed kits. So it wasn't a huge inconvenience. Still. A few minutes of anxiety could have been avoided. 

Screenshot_20220616-125313_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5541d636e5e3c0ce28af45cff64bb8b2.jpg

Good night from Italy! Sad to leave but will be nice to get home and maybe relax for a bit. Vacations are hard work!

20220610_211607.thumb.jpg.01a76f0bce0587fa5b86fb69ba23213a.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 8

We just returned from a trip to Northern Italy and like you we stayed at the Hilton.  We loved the hotel especially the rooftop pool, bar and restaurant.  The location isn’t ideal but the hotel was great.  I don’t pay much attention to people that feel like it is beneath them to stay within their budget.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

We just returned from a trip to Northern Italy and like you we stayed at the Hilton.  We loved the hotel especially the rooftop pool, bar and restaurant.  The location isn’t ideal but the hotel was great.  I don’t pay much attention to people that feel like it is beneath them to stay within their budget.  

We had Villa D'Este booked for early May prior to Covid. Season just starting. It was a special trip for us (trains and land trip thru Switzerland and Italy). I had only been thru the gardens prior and it was a bucket list hotel. 3 years ago in May it was over $1800 a night. We like to do a combination and Hilton is just fine for us too. For many, it allows for more travel and who throws good, hard earned money away?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

We had Villa D'Este booked for early May prior to Covid. Season just starting. It was a special trip for us (trains and land trip thru Switzerland and Italy). I had only been thru the gardens prior and it was a bucket list hotel. 3 years ago in May it was over $1800 a night. We like to do a combination and Hilton is just fine for us too. For many, it allows for more travel and who throws good, hard earned money away?

We have stayed at Villa D’Este before and to be honest, we are like you, we sometimes stay at the “name” hotel and sometimes we choose other hotels for many reasons (location, price, convenience, etc).  We never choose a hotel just because of its reputation alone.  We have been disappointed as often as pleased.

Covid has definitely changed the quality equation as anyone that has traveled over the last two years knows.

In 2018 my wife and I rented a car in Prague and with a friend spent a glorious three weeks touring through Czech Republic, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia and Italy.  We wanted to see Lake Como, and after much internet sleuthing settled on Hotel du Lac, in Varenna (on eastern shore, a little north of Bellagio).  The hotel is set at lake level, with lovely dining room and outdoor terraces.  Had a tight but adequate car park.  It is on the coastal path that leads into Varenna, and you can walk the short distance to the ferry pier.  Our room was off the reception area, very quiet, with lovely view of the water.  I'd go back in a minute, and would def spend more time ferrying around the lake.  The ferry system works well, and we were able to get around handily.  We ended the trip dropping car off in Milan, and enjoying Milan a great deal.  Had last meal of the month long trip in a small restaurant overlooking Navigli canal - such nice memories!  

IMG_3891.JPG

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Any tips on places to visit or places to dine in Dublin, Cork, Galway Ireland would be appreciated.  Taking my beautiful wife there in July on a tour with lots of free time.

Hi Que, may I ask what tour company you are using? 

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Any tips on places to visit or places to dine in Dublin, Cork, Galway Ireland would be appreciated.  Taking my beautiful wife there in July on a tour with lots of free time.

I was Cork in 2019 while in a cruise and we had lunch at The Farmgate Cafe. It is inside a market and we had a great time there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, I want to wish all the Dads, Grand Dads, Step Dads, anyone who sits in that role,

A VERY HAPPY FATHER'S DAY🙂I especially miss mine today as we would watch the US OPEN together every year.........hope all of you have a wonderful day with those folks who are the most important to you. 

Happy Father's Day! «

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, I want to wish all the Dads, Grand Dads, Step Dads, anyone who sits in that role,

A VERY HAPPY FATHER'S DAY🙂I especially miss mine today as we would watch the US OPEN together every year.........hope all of you have a wonderful day with those folks who are the most important to you. 

Happy Father's Day! «

Missing my Dad tremendously today - he was an amazing man and instilled travel in my DNA. Our first cruise in the Greek isles (1975). image.thumb.png.3fa4aa08042bedc8cc63ff851c95d533.png

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Missing my Dad tremendously today - he was an amazing man and instilled travel in my DNA. Our first cruise in the Greek isles (1975). image.thumb.png.3fa4aa08042bedc8cc63ff851c95d533.png

How lovely and very special.

My Dad, had six wives, last one was my age. He loved women, fine wine and gourmet food. What a character. I wonder which wife went to the Greek Isles? Many went to Paris, his favorite place. 

I can find humor in it now and wanted to share. All Dads are not alike. :))

You are very lucky.

Happy Father's Day to all kinds of Dads. 

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

My Dad, had six wives, last one was my age. He loved women, fine wine and gourmet food. What a character. I wonder which wife went to the Greek Isles? Many went to Paris, his favorite place. 

You are very lucky.

I’m so sorry TrulyBlonde.  No question that I was very lucky, as was my mom. 
Glad that you are able to find some humor in it now, but certainly tough to grow up with. 

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

You are very lucky.

I empathise. I loved my Dad and he loved his family but his experiences fighting as a teenager in Poland during the war caused PTSD and so we had to learn to adapt as children. However he always was proud of his children and grand children. 

10 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Missing my Dad tremendously today - he was an amazing man and instilled travel in my DNA. Our first cruise in the Greek isles (1975). 

Dolce, your Dad looks amazing, fun and loving. The fact he installed curiosity and joy of life in his family is a wonderful thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1