Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Please scroll on if easily offended.

image.thumb.png.654889d9757c259ff69ea59938bccad5.png

This description is not for the faint at heart.   I've been there but I have to say that my description of the state was limited to "shoot me now".  🥴

• Haha 4

OK, another British-American translation needed.  Her shopping list includes "4 tins of White Lightning."  I also recall on Are You Being Served that they talked about champagne coming in 'tins.'  What type of alcohol container does this refer to?  In the US all I can think of is canned soup [Andy Warhol's famous inspiration].

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

It was actually  a double post of a previous post,  but I hit post instead of cancel,  my only excuse it was 7am  not 10pm when I could blame 🥂🥂🥂🤦‍♀️😁😁🤭

I was just pulling your chain – not realizing that I was pulling 'maths' chains all over the UK [and probably Canada]! 🤣

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

OK, another British-American translation needed.  Her shopping list includes "4 tins of White Lightning."  I also recall on Are You Being Served that they talked about champagne coming in 'tins.'  What type of alcohol container does this refer to?  In the US all I can think of is canned soup [Andy Warhol's famous inspiration].

image.jpeg.0af0acbde6229f0d61effa52774944d4.jpeg

A brew that many a teenager began their drinking career with in the 80s. Tastes best when consumed whilst sitting on a park bench or in a bus stop. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Some of the visits today:

A museum for a Braziliam artist. 3 floors building that was common before the 1960's.

museu.thumb.jpg.97d6cbd5e9f48f5744c3282dc32cf804.jpg

Brecheret sculptures:

sofranciscoajustada.thumb.jpg.7c545347e507e66aab197c52f72a61d9.jpg

estatuaajustada.thumb.jpg.a92da4ad5987dd4297249185033be7d7.jpg

Another musuem main entrance

20230609_112649.thumb.jpg.a009a3cbc07b493b431094a3194b0872.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

image.jpeg.0af0acbde6229f0d61effa52774944d4.jpeg

A brew that many a teenager began their drinking career with in the 80s. Tastes best when consumed whilst sitting on a park bench or in a bus stop. 

Thank you.  Mystery solved.  'Tin cans' becomes 'tins' in UK and 'cans' in US.  Kind of like 'soda pop' becomes 'soda' in NY and 'pop' in the midwest.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thank you.  Mystery solved.  'Tin cans' becomes 'tins' in UK and 'cans' in US.  Kind of like 'soda pop' becomes 'soda' in NY and 'pop' in the midwest.

You’re welcome. They are also known as tinnies when they contain cheap strong beer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

You’re welcome. They are also known as tinnies when they contain cheap strong beer. 

Followed by "builders' tea" [a term I got from the Bryant & May Peculiar Crimes Unit mystery series]

18 minutes ago, Lirio said:

Some of the visits today:

A museum for a Braziliam artist. 3 floors building that was common before the 1960's.

museu.thumb.jpg.97d6cbd5e9f48f5744c3282dc32cf804.jpg

Brecheret sculptures:

sofranciscoajustada.thumb.jpg.7c545347e507e66aab197c52f72a61d9.jpg

estatuaajustada.thumb.jpg.a92da4ad5987dd4297249185033be7d7.jpg

Another musuem main entrance

20230609_112649.thumb.jpg.a009a3cbc07b493b431094a3194b0872.jpg

Beautiful Lirio!  The sculptures remind me of Inuit soapstone carvings.

DSCN6818.jpg.8d3c06e3edfb7aa52c6b01064044ab05.jpg

SDC10950.JPG.d4ba6328d77c71343d5564c6339558bb.JPG

• Like 3

Listen, I know that we don't need to take note of every news item of the day, such as whether someone got indicted for 37 felonies, but I do want to note the passing of Astrud Gilberto, the woman who - in her early 20's, never having recorded before, was asked by her hubby to sing on a recording of "Girl From Ipanema", being recorded by her hubby Joao Gilberto and Stan Getz (song written by Antonio Jobim & Vinicius de Moraes).  She was paid $120, no residuals.  The song was covered by many people, but no one did a better version of it - she was born to sing that song.  This was in 1963, I was a pre-teen, but I remember hearing that voice, that instrumentation, that lovely samba composition, and being transported. More, I was beckoned by it, I wanted to know more about the big wide world, outside of my young experience, that could produce such intriguing and seductive sounds.  She went on to make a career of singing, and moved to the US from her native Brazil.  Around the same time, the Beatles burst upon the scene, and some of their songs had a similar effect, of introducing a view into a more European and grown-up world to my young eyes, shortly after the shock of Kennedy's assassination.  We all needed a lift.  But today, I salute Astrud for her wonderful and truly timeless gift to us all.  

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Listen, I know that we don't need to take note of every news item of the day, such as whether someone got indicted for 37 felonies, but I do want to note the passing of Astrud Gilberto, the woman who - in her early 20's, never having recorded before, was asked by her hubby to sing on a recording of "Girl From Ipanema", being recorded by her hubby Joao Gilberto and Stan Getz (song written by Antonio Jobim & Vinicius de Moraes).  She was paid $120, no residuals.  The song was covered by many people, but no one did a better version of it - she was born to sing that song.  This was in 1963, I was a pre-teen, but I remember hearing that voice, that instrumentation, that lovely samba composition, and being transported. More, I was beckoned by it, I wanted to know more about the big wide world, outside of my young experience, that could produce such intriguing and seductive sounds.  She went on to make a career of singing, and moved to the US from her native Brazil.  Around the same time, the Beatles burst upon the scene, and some of their songs had a similar effect, of introducing a view into a more European and grown-up world to my young eyes, shortly after the shock of Kennedy's assassination.  We all needed a lift.  But today, I salute Astrud for her wonderful and truly timeless gift to us all.  

And her voice lives on through people like you WWFT!  Thanks for that memory! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

She, as well as Jobim, Getz and Gilberto were the reason I fell in love with Brazil and its music back in the 1960’s.  When I went to Carnival in Rio in 1967, I also fell in love with Chico Buarque and his song A Banda!  I so wish I could speak Portuguese better than I do.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I was just pulling your chain – not realizing that I was pulling 'maths' chains all over the UK [and probably Canada]! 🤣

Nope. Canadians use "math" the same as Americans.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

"Pop" in my part of Canada too; I'm not sure whether it is true across the country.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Please scroll on if easily offended.

image.thumb.png.654889d9757c259ff69ea59938bccad5.png

A real blast from the past, Davey.  I remember the twinkly enthusiasm - but a looong time ago.  However, I see she is still putting stuff online at least, and is now 73!  I must say we didn't take too much notice of her, but no doubt she encouraged the  interest in wine in the great British people.  I see Jancis Robinson, also 73, is still going strong too. I did prefer her style.  Good for them.

Lola

• Like 3

Minimal interest to most of you - but another wine woman (I had forgotten her name) is Joanna Simon, who we first met at a  University Philoenic Society when she was still a student.  She went on to write for the Sunday Times, and in that capacity hosted a trial champagne weekend, travelling from London by coach and being chauffeured around the region.  The big mistake they made, which did not happen again, was to serve champagne all the time we were in the coach - probably 20 people - and ask us to make a note and pay for how much we had had at the end of the trip!   A few of us honest souls did, but you can imagine that many did not even try, and the cost to the paper was a fair amount.  She looked a bit horrified when she saw how many bottles had been emptied, and how many glasses paid for.  We did taste some very good stuff, in various cellars, This was in the 80s.   British wine buffs may have heard of her.

Lola

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

A real blast from the past, Davey.  I remember the twinkly enthusiasm - but a looong time ago.  However, I see she is still putting stuff online at least, and is now 73!  I must say we didn't take too much notice of her, but no doubt she encouraged the  interest in wine in the great British people.  I see Jancis Robinson, also 73, is still going strong too. I did prefer her style.  Good for them.

Lola

I Suspect she may be very well preserved Lola 🥳

• Haha 5