Royal Caribbean Trademarks Three New Cruise Ship Names

LauraS

Since the names are getting progressively worse may I suggest Pressed Ham of the Seas, PHOS.

Not to give ideas of what might ;) occur on board. Below is one of Urban Dictionary’s descriptions, I added the port portion. Perhaps there would be a Quest like competition, for the Best Hams. House keeping and the cleaning department might not be as favourable.

To press one's bare rear up against a window of sorts, often in a moving vehicle, for the purpose of displaying it to the unfortunate ... Every time we pull into port beside a ship, we press the ham.

Edit: totally reminds me of the Wonder Years episode when the boys went out in the car.

Edited by A&L_Ont

RIOTS – Righteous Indignation of the Seas

OOTS – Outraged of the Seas

NOTS – Nit-pickers of the Seas

FOTS – Fusspots of the Seas

POTS - perfectionists of the Seas

ROBOTS - Royally Offended Busybodies of the Seas

IDIOTS – Indignant & Deeply Insulted of the Seas

There are so many posts and threads on Cruise Critic expressing outrage over the behaviour of others, it seems to me ships with these names would always sell, and might even lead to the design an entire new class. (Indignation class?)

The article annoyed me so much I sat down and made notes for the rest of the day whenever something came into my head.

Temptation of the Seas

Intrigue of the Seas

Wonder of the Seas

Virtuoso of the Seas

Resonance of the Seas

Odyssey of the Seas

Ambrosia of the Seas

Essence of the Seas

Artistry of the Seas

Dominion of the Seas

Sorcery of the Seas

Conquest of the Seas

I'd take any of those names over the three mentioned in the article.

The article annoyed me so much I sat down and made notes for the rest of the day whenever something came into my head.

Temptation of the Seas

Intrigue of the Seas

Wonder of the Seas

Virtuoso of the Seas

Resonance of the Seas

Odyssey of the Seas

Ambrosia of the Seas

Essence of the Seas

Artistry of the Seas

Dominion of the Seas

Sorcery of the Seas

Conquest of the Seas

Hah, I was actually thinking of your first one when I read this! Well done!;) Your list has much better ideas than the 3 they suggested!

Thanks for the morning chuckles Andrew!!:')

If I were to guess I would think they would trademark a name before they even tested it to see if it works or a focus group likes it.

That's most likely what they're doing.

These are "intent-to-use" applications, which, by the way, were just filed and have not yet been approved by the USPTO. They are relatively inexpensive placeholders to prevent someone else from trademarking those names first. That someone not necessarily being another cruise line but potentially anyone offering "cruise ship services." Since Royal can't trademark "of the Seas" by itself, it probably wants to head off anyone who wants to add "of the Seas" to some other word in an attempt to free ride on the popularity of Royal Caribbean ships. But to maintain the trademark (assuming it is approved), Royal needs to convert the "intent-to-use" into "actual use" within three years or abandon it. So that is the timeline we're looking at.

Correction, they did trademark "of the Seas" but that isn't necessarily enough to protect any ship name.

Edited by Pratique
Update