Flying in day of cruise

New York in mid-December? Reassurance?

Doable? Sure (unless it's not).

Sorry but, IMO, just the winter weather issues (and their effect on all sorts of transportation) alone, make your plan quite risky.

No choice. I can't make the ship arrive any into New York any earlier

No choice. I can't make the ship arrive any into New York any earlier

Of course not - but you certainly can have planned a flight late enough that day to allow good chances of making it if your ship is delayed a few hours - yet early enough for you to be able to get a later flight if that one gets impacted.

You did, of course, have a choice when you originally planned the whole deal.

Of course not - but you certainly can have planned a flight late enough that day to allow good chances of making it if your ship is delayed a few hours - yet early enough for you to be able to get a later flight if that one gets impacted.

You did, of course, have a choice when you originally planned the whole deal.

Plus 1. A bad plan.

We have done many same day arrivals from west coast to Europe. Most are nonstop but we have also occasionally had flights with plane changes.

Op, you don't say where you are from. I assume most airports are not going to offer nonstop flights to San Juan. That increases the risk.

It is certainly doable, but no one can guarantee there won't be a delay. I guess it all depends on your tolerance for risk.

Hi there’s a cruise we’re keen on from San Juan.. departing at 8pm. If We arrive at 1230 on a direct flight, should that be enough time to make it? We are not able to fly out the night before. Thank you.

Are you leaving in the winter ? We booked a December flight from NYC for 8:30 AM .The winter elements caused our flight to be delayed 10 hours.

Remember...."travel insurance" is there to protect against financial losses due to travel issues - and even then, is subject to the specific coverages and exclusions of YOUR specific policy.

It is NOT a replacement for sound travel planning, and it is NOT a guarantee that you will be able to take your trip as planned. It won't make seats miraculously appear, it won't provide you rerouting, it won't provide for finding you new alternatives. It's merely to take the financial sting from the equation.

Caveat Emptor.

The point I was trying to make is that if travel delays are weather or whatever related (pursuant to the policy coverage) we would at least be covered to some extent rather than take a total loss. Keep in mind that we were flying in during peak Hurrican Season.

That policy should cover them if they flew in a week prior or day of embarkation

I think you'll be fine...I'm sure some on this board will never think you will be.

I'm glad you "think" so. Many of us who have responded that we wouldn't do it are talking from experience and not just "thinking" about it. As I said in my previous post, I had a direct flight that had an emergency landing due to a mechanical issue and was on the ground for 4-5 hours. That would have eaten up the time the poster you are quoting spare time and she probably would have missed her ship. That is the kind of experience many of us know and that is why we emphasize flying in the day before. For me a couple hundred dollars isn't worth saving for the piece of mind of getting to the ship on time. I just count it as part of the vacation. My experience flying has been about 50/50 making it on schedule and a few of those occasions have been 5-6 hours or later than scheduled time. I would never "think" I would make it anywhere flying on time since my experience tells me differently.

I'm glad you "think" so. Many of us who have responded that we wouldn't do it are talking from experience and not just "thinking" about it. As I said in my previous post, I had a direct flight that had an emergency landing due to a mechanical issue and was on the ground for 4-5 hours. That would have eaten up the time the poster you are quoting spare time and she probably would have missed her ship. That is the kind of experience many of us know and that is why we emphasize flying in the day before. For me a couple hundred dollars isn't worth saving for the piece of mind of getting to the ship on time. I just count it as part of the vacation. My experience flying has been about 50/50 making it on schedule and a few of those occasions have been 5-6 hours or later than scheduled time. I would never "think" I would make it anywhere flying on time since my experience tells me differently.

There was a period during my professional life when I regularly flew between SF and Albany NY (usually through DC). On one occasion, the departing plane from the relatively small Albany airport was found to have a flat tire. What one would've expected might mean a delay of an hour (or two max), ended up eating through half the day.

Why?

Small airport and circumstances required that both the mechanic AND the tire needed to come from the hub D.C. airport.

The "bigger picture" lesson here, even beyond awareness of the limitations of small airports, is the constant reminder of the importance of choosing the right connection hubs and layover times (minimum three hours for international connection) to maximize Plan B (and C) options.

Perhaps most importantly, non-frequent flyers need to understand that the days of missing a flight and "catching the next one" are long gone. That rebooking can be days (not hours) later.

We've been delayed several times, usually for only an hour or two, but sometimes more.

We live 6 hours away from the rest of the family. We usually drive. But one visit we decided to fly due to a reduced fare promotion Southwest had at the time. On our trip back home, we arrived at the airport 1-1/2 hours before the flight, just like we are asked to. We then learned there was a gauge malfunctioning and it would have to be replaced. About an hour delay, they said. Two hours later we were told that a gauge has to be flown in from the hub, and that will take another hour. It finally arrive 3-1/2 hours after the flight was to depart. Almost two hours later, after the replacement and tests were performed, we finally departed - 5-1/2 hours late for a one hour flight!

We got home just about 8-1/2 hours later than expected. If we had driven, we would have been home 2-1/2 hours sooner!! So much for the advantages of saving a few $$$$ on a promotional fare. :(

Even short flights are at risk of severe delays. Always plan for the worst, and enjoy it when the worst doesn't happen.

And just as a reminder, be careful when you hear the term "direct flight" being tossed about. A "direct" flight is not the same thing as a "non-stop" flight.

A "non-stop" means there are no stops between A and B. A "direct" flight means that there is no change of flight numbers between A and B. I can, however, have an unlimited number of stops and even aircraft changes.

For example, Southwest had a flight from Baltimore to Oakland that was a "direct flight". However, the routing was Baltimore to Chicago to Nashville to New Orleans to Houston to Phoenix to Las Vegas to Oakland. SEVEN flight segments, but it was still a "direct" flight from BWI to OAK.

Most people fly in day of the cruise. Not most people on CC.

As long as your flight is fine you should be all good. Being a direct flight the odds are in your favor.

An amazing post!!!!!

Have you surveyed “most people “ about flying in the day of the cruise?

Of course OP “should be all good” ... AS LONG AS THE FLIGHT IS FINE. What needs to be considered is what happen if the flight is not “fine”.

Having “odds in your favor” sounds great - but what does that mean? Things working out OK six times out of ten means “ the odds are in your favor”. I would happily bet a dollar on those odds - but those same odds on a larger wager (like making a cruise on time) are not that comforting.

We were on our way to ski in Canada. Booked a direct flight Jacksonville to Montreal. Stopped in Cleveland. Just a stop, no connection. Blizzard hit, airport closed, they made us disembark and go to the gate. Luckily for us, we were all booked into a Holiday Inn and DH and I were in the last van. We were sitting in laps and holding strangers’ children.

Looking back, I’m amazed the driver was willing to take us. Driving alongside a lake with zero visibility must have terrified the poor guy.

Bottom line, we missed our ride to Mont Tremblant and our first day of skiing.

A direct flight means not changing planes, it doesn’t meant your chances of arriving on time are better than with a connecting by flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some may not realize but when doing a direct flight and not changing planes you can actually stay on the plane...Some airlines insist you must get off...not true.

Recently flying with a toddler grandson who was sleeping one FA told me I would have to wake him and get off (I disagreed)...When she went to check she discovered I did not have to do this.

He soundly slept through this and takeoff...bless him :halo:

Some may not realize but when doing a direct flight and not changing planes you can actually stay on the plane...Some airlines insist you must get off...not true.

Some airlines do require it, especially on international flights where you are making a "technical stop". Oft times, this involves refueling and the airline and/or airport may have protocols requiring passengers to get off the aircraft.

Is there a blanket rule where you have to always or never get off? Nope. Like so many things in aviation, it is dependent on the airlines and the airports for YOUR specific situation.

Some airlines do require it, especially on international flights where you are making a "technical stop". Oft times, this involves refueling and the airline and/or airport may have protocols requiring passengers to get off the aircraft.

Is there a blanket rule where you have to always or never get off? Nope. Like so many things in aviation, it is dependent on the airlines and the airports for YOUR specific situation.

We have only done those on domestic flights...The one I referenced was Southwest LAX-FLL thru ATL. So it does always help to question policy when necessary. A few on our particular flight had some mobility issues and they also were told they had to get off and were thankful when I spoke up and they could actually stay onboard.

Most people fly in day of the cruise. Not most people on CC.

As long as your flight is fine you should be all good. Being a direct flight the odds are in your favor.

WOW! I guess we should bow to your experience (about most flying in the day of a cruise) and just accept what you have posted. On the other hand, as a cruise newbie who has been cruising extensively for more then 40 years, what you say runs counter to our own experience. In fact, we have met very few cruisers who fly in the day of the cruise....but with more then 1000 days on cruise ships I would guess that we have not met many folks :(.

We do agree that the odds are in your favor with a same day flight. But call me an old cruiser and very experienced flier who prefers not to play those odds, especially if it involves flying during winter months. And by the way, have you tried to make reservations at the more popular hotels near cruise ports? It is really strange how many of those hotels are sold out and even boost their prices on "cruise nights." Have no clue who is staying in those hotels and crowding the lobbies in the morning trying to get their transportation to the port, but perhaps they are actually cruisers. By the way, another issue with same day flights is that your luggage might be delayed or misrouted. Given enough hours that luggage will usually catch-up (often later that same day). But all too often the luggage will not catch up or make it to the ship on time and then it becomes an interesting adventure as luggage tried to catch-up to the ship. Flying in at least a day early really increases the odds (we understand you like to talk about odds) that your luggage will get to you before the ship leaves the port.

Hank

Look folks: the bottom line is that modern air travel in truly unpredictable. And the "good news/bad news" is that:

While airlines (over the past decade) have figured out how to schedule for maximum efficacy and profit, everything still boils down to that plane in that place on that day.

As I have mentioned in many other posts: non-frequent fliers have to realize that rebooking due to delays/cancelations may now be days later. Any open seats in the "next flight out" (few and far between) will always go to those FFs In the highest tier who have paid the most for their tix.

The real kicker here is that those non-frequent fliers who post the "will I make it" questions on CC already know that what they are planning is very risky (if not impossible).

And yet, they will place great weight on the comment(s) of other non-frequent fliers who post that they've made "that trip" before "without delay."

IMO, these folks are poster children for the old adage- "pennywise and pound foolish."

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I don't know actual counts, but can say there are a considerable number of folks arriving morning of the cruise. More than those arriving prior days? Who knows. If I had to bet I would say not. While I do it frequently I am not promoting same day arrival because I know many would become too stressed.

Not related to cruise travel, but thought I would share. Many years ago, wife and I decided to leave next day for Europe without any flight booked. We checked United departures. Tried for London but that flight was kind of full. Found a Paris flight that was lighter, so we ended up in Paris (thankful for 1-800 Holiday Inn). Kind of a lark, but turned out to be a very fun trip. We didn't book the return flight until we got to CDG.

I don't know actual counts, but can say there are a considerable number of folks arriving morning of the cruise. More than those arriving prior days? Who knows. If I had to bet I would say not. While I do it frequently I am not promoting same day arrival because I know many would become too stressed.

Not related to cruise travel, but thought I would share. Many years ago, wife and I decided to leave next day for Europe without any flight booked. We checked United departures. Tried for London but that flight was kind of full. Found a Paris flight that was lighter, so we ended up in Paris (thankful for 1-800 Holiday Inn). Kind of a lark, but turned out to be a very fun trip. We didn't book the return flight until we got to CDG.

".....many years ago...."

?? Not sure why you are quoting? But yes, many years ago. Prior to internet. Had to do everything either at the counter or by phone.

I’ve always envied the couple in an old American Express commercial who were starting home from their trip and on the spur of the moment decided to add another trip and would buy clothes when they got there.

Flying by the seat of your pants could be glorious or a total disaster!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums