Royal Caribbean discriminates Jewel passengers

Proplayer

The November 5th Jewel of the Seas Transatlantic cruise has had 3 ports cancelled and replaced with the Canary Islands. The November 5th Navigator of the Seas Transatlantic has had 3 ports cancelled and replaced with the Canary Islands. Same issue, weather related. Understandable. So what’s discriminating about that?

The discrimination is in the fact that Royal is giving the Navigator passengers OBC of $100-300 per cabin plus a future cruise credit for 25% of the cruise fare value per person on a future cruise. Royal isn’t offering Jewel passengers any competition! 

As as a passenger on Jewel it seems ridiculous and short-sighted of Royal Caribbean to offer some passengers compensation and not others. We were both impacted by the exact same storm and extreme itinerary changes to both cruises. Having been a very loyal Royal cruiser in the past it makes me question if I want to continue cruising with them when there are so many other choices available!!!

• Like 4

Navigator had to make an emergency stop for repairs.  Passengers were at a stop they had not planned on for a couple of days while the ship was being repaired.  They continued on but missed 2 of their planned stops.  So I think the compensation was very fair.  That's different then finding out that your itinerary has changed before you leave on your cruise.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, driftersdream said:

Navigator had to make an emergency stop for repairs.  Passengers were at a stop they had not planned on for a couple of days while the ship was being repaired.  They continued on but missed 2 of their planned stops.  So I think the compensation was very fair.  That's different then finding out that your itinerary has changed before you leave on your cruise.

Yup. Navigator was not due to weather. Totally different issue. 

17 hours ago, Proplayer said:

Having been a very loyal Royal cruiser in the past it makes me question if I want to continue cruising with them when there are so many other choices available!!!

Bye bye then and have fun wherever you are crusing in the future. RCI won´t miss you one bit.

Edited by Paulxyz2004
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, driftersdream said:

12 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Yup. Navigator was not due to weather. Totally different issue. 

Navigator's TA itinerary was changed due to weather 

(shared from Diamond and Up FB group)

Dear Valued Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you onboard Navigator of the Seas this Monday, 5th November 2018. We have an important itinerary update to share with you below.

Along with our Chief Meteorologist, James Van Fleet, we have been closely monitoring the trajectory, speed and size of multiple storms covering the Northern Atlantic Sea. Unfortunately, this unforeseen circumstance will affect our crossing to the United States, and we will be unable to visit Boston, Massachusetts, New York, New York, and Port Canaveral (Orlando), Florida. Instead, we will avoid the inclement weather and visit Bruges/Zeebrugge (Brussels), Belgium, Le Havre, France, and Gran Canaria, Canary Islands. We are very sorry for this unexpected change and the impact to your vacation. Please know, we evaluated all options, and determined this was the best decision to ensure your safety and comfort, and avoid unpleasant weather.

Below, please find our updated itinerary.

Mon

Southampton, United Kingdom

4:30 PM

Tue

Bruges/Zeebrugge (Brussels), Belgium

9:00 AM

6:00 PM

Wed

Le Havre, France

8:00 AM

Thu

Le Havre, France

6:00 AM

Fri

Cruising

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Gran Canaria, Canary Islands

8:00 AM

3:00 PM

Mon

Cruising

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Cruising

Thu

Cruising

Fri

Cruising

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Miami, Florida

7:00 AM

Bruges provides the best of both worlds: a cultural hub and a seafront paradise! Le Havre offers the iconic city of Paris, where you can relish in the fine arts, fashion, superb cuisine, and stunning architecture. And lastly, Gran Canaria, a city that embraces their rocky coastline, and boasts their desert-style dunes overlooking the ocean. Although not the itinerary planned, these new ports will provide you with a wide variety of exciting activities!

To make up for this unforeseen change, we are providing the following:

If you choose to sail with us, you will receive:

The below refundable Onboard Credit on your SeaPass account. If your onboard spend does not reach this amount, the remaining balance will be refunded to your credit card on file. Any taxes and fees associated to missed ports will also be added as an Onboard Credit.
$100 USD onboard credit, per stateroom for Interiors
$150 USD onboard credit, per stateroom for Ocean Views
$200 USD onboard credit, per stateroom for Balconies
$300 USD onboard credit, per stateroom for Suites
And, an additional $25 USD for each third or more guest to spend onboard
A future cruise credit for 25% of the cruise fare value, per person, in hopes you will join us on another cruise in the near future.
A credit to your onboard SeaPass account for any pre-purchased shore excursions for the changed ports. Once onboard, please visit the Shore Excursions Desk on Deck 5, should you have any questions or need any assistance to make new reservations.
While we hope you choose to stay, if you decide not to sail, we'll provide you with:

100% refund of your total cruise fare, plus a refund for all taxes, fees and any pre-purchased items.
Additionally, if you booked air travel with us we'll also refund this cost. Please note, if you purchased air independently, you will need to contact your travel insurance provider for assistance.
If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact us on 01932 834 145. Once onboard, please visit Guest Services on Deck 5 for assistance.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation during these unexpected circumstances. We will continue to monitor the weather and once onboard, you can expect daily advisories from our Chief Meteorologist. Please know, your safety and comfort is our top priority and we are confident once onboard, you'll have a wonderful time with us!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

So OP has a right to be upset.What's good for one should be good for another.

28 minutes ago, driftersdream said:

Actually Navigator passengers did find out their itinerary changed before they sailed.   In fact, the TA doesn’t even start until tomorrow (Nov 5).   I also see no difference between those two sailings.

34 minutes ago, driftersdream said:

That is on their current cruise.  I don't  know what compensation those folks got but think they should get something.  The TA is a new cruise starting tomorrow.  I find it odd that the TA is getting compensation and wonder why we, on the Jewel are not.  Same situation.  But we will enjoy our crossing even if a bit rocky 🤢😄

2 minutes ago, driftersdream said:

I guess people view things in different ways.  I personally don't see this as the same situation.

The two TAs which both start tomorrow are the same exact situation.  It is the current cruise on Navigator which is different and, in my opinion, deserving of compensation.  I don't know what they are receiving.  I don't think the TAs really deserve anything for itinerary change but those of us on Jewel are wondering why Navigator is getting it and we are not in the same exact situation.  Just seems odd.

15 hours ago, Proplayer said:

The November 5th Jewel of the Seas Transatlantic cruise has had 3 ports cancelled and replaced with the Canary Islands. The November 5th Navigator of the Seas Transatlantic has had 3 ports cancelled and replaced with the Canary Islands. Same issue, weather related. Understandable. So what’s discriminating about that?

The discrimination is in the fact that Royal is giving the Navigator passengers OBC of $100-300 per cabin plus a future cruise credit for 25% of the cruise fare value per person on a future cruise. Royal isn’t offering Jewel passengers any competition! 

As as a passenger on Jewel it seems ridiculous and short-sighted of Royal Caribbean to offer some passengers compensation and not others. We were both impacted by the exact same storm and extreme itinerary changes to both cruises. Having been a very loyal Royal cruiser in the past it makes me question if I want to continue cruising with them when there are so many other choices available!!!

They absolutely hate Jewels passengers! 👍

It's a bit of a difference when planing a cruise to visit cultural and enriching cities such as Boston and one of the most amazing cities in the world, New York together with an overnight which is something very rarely offered by RCCL compared to a already South bound itinarary which will stop in the canaries instead of Azores and add a Caribbean destination. The only real loss on this route is maybe Lissbon. let's face it, you as most others chose the crossing because it is offered at very low prices compared to other itinararies, hence no need to ask for even more.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, driftersdream said:

I think the passengers currently on Navigator are the ones being compensated.  Not the ones on the Nov 5 sailing.  At least that's what the Newsweek article says. 

Nov.5th passengers are being compensated.  See the RCL email on post #7.

6 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

It's a bit of a difference when planing a cruise to visit cultural and enriching cities such as Boston and one of the most amazing cities in the world, New York together with an overnight which is something very rarely offered by RCCL compared to a already South bound itinarary which will stop in the canaries instead of Azores and add a Caribbean destination. The only real loss on this route is maybe Lissbon. let's face it, you as most others chose the crossing because it is offered at very low prices compared to other itinararies, hence no need to ask for even more.

Boston and New York cultural and enriching?   Not in my books.  I would take the Valencia and Lisbon stops any day.   I guess it depends what side of the pond you live on and what you want to see!

1 minute ago, hova said:

Boston and New York cultural and enriching?   Not in my books.  I would take the Valencia and Lisbon stops any day.   I guess it depends what side of the pond you live on and what you want to see!

Well not compared to Regina .😁

1 minute ago, hova said:
1 hour ago, Paulxyz2004 said:

Bye bye then and have fun wherever you are crusing in the future. RCI won´t miss you one bit.

Thankyou for posting this . Very helpful for the discussion . 

I think it would be discriminating if different percentages were given on the same ship.  Different levels on different ships is more a matter of opinion, than discrimination.

Edit to Add: I wouldn’t be pleasesd but it couldn’t be looking for more compensation.  Cruise itineraries can change at any time for any reason. If I wanted to see something specific I’d travel there VS taking a cruise there. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

We had a New Zealand cruise cancelled by RCI due to mechanical problems.  We were stuck in Australia, because we had the Explorer of the Seas Transpacific home, but we found a land tour instead.

RCI compensation was excellent.  All are payments were refunded AND we got a future cruise credit for the cancelled cruise, minus the taxes.   We booked Serenade of the Seas Norway Arctic Circle for June 2019. Great

The big difference is that apart from Southampton and Miami Navigator's cruise has no resemblance to the one we booked.  You cannot compare Boston, New York (overnight) and Port Canaveral (Kennedy Space Centre) with Zeebrugge, Le Havre and Gran Canaria.  We don;t need a transatlantic cruise ship to take us to Zeebrugge and Le Havre which we can do by train, ferry or car.

The 25% credit is 25% of the transatlantic cruise element not off the purchase price of a new cruise.  Also we have already had expenditure clothing, currency etc which we will not need.  We are now basically touching foot in the States and flying back.

• Like 1

I understand the OP's frustration.  The two transatlantic crossings both had their itineraries totally changed.  Whether you preferred the scheduled ports or the new ports obviously depends on whether you are "leaving" home or "coming" home on this cruise.  (i.e., European vs North American).  One cruise has lots of monetary compensation; one has none.

It would be annoying.  Of course, in the situation, I would have expected NO compensation and thus be quite happy, but knowing that RC thought that the OTHER one should get money and mine should not...……….annoying.  (and inexplicable)

21 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I understand the OP's frustration.  The two transatlantic crossings both had their itineraries totally changed.  Whether you preferred the scheduled ports or the new ports obviously depends on whether you are "leaving" home or "coming" home on this cruise.  (i.e., European vs North American).  One cruise has lots of monetary compensation; one has none.

It would be annoying.  Of course, in the situation, I would have expected NO compensation and thus be quite happy, but knowing that RC thought that the OTHER one should get money and mine should not...……….annoying.  (and inexplicable)

This is really my thinking.  I did not expect anything when the itinerary was changed.  But, to know they gave it to one ship and not another is annoying.  

10 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

This is really my thinking.  I did not expect anything when the itinerary was changed.  But, to know they gave it to one ship and not another is annoying

and the reason RCI tries not to make exception to the rules, because then everyone expects it.