Carnival Journey Questions

vicky3vicky

It is almost a year away, but I will be going on my first Carnival Journeys cruise. It will be a 14 day southern Carribean on the Breeze. I have a few questions. For one, are Journey cruisers more likely to be old, like me? Will there be only one lobster night? On "80s" night,  exactly what dances for the decade are taught?  I think I want to know this more than anything! [ I have NEVER been able to dance, but thought if I were to practice an hour or so every night for the next year, I might POSSIBLY get the steps right [at least some of the time]

Will the menus be much different than the 7 day cruises? Are the advertized lectures actally interesting and informative? I would love to have these questions answered along with any other information anyone would be kins enough to share.

Well i have been on two journey cruises.  They are heavy with all the platinium and diamond passengers.  So much so that there were 3 separate reunion parties.   My daughter and family are gold and actually had a easier boarding with no lines.  Just when 90 percent of the ship is like this then it changes things.  As for anything else on board feels normal,  like what is the difference between a 4 day cruise and a 7 day cruise?  3 days is about the answer.  you get to see ports that are farther out.   Entertainment kinda throws all the can at ya.  Lots of dance classes of different types, shows seem to not repeat or anything.  Carnival makes it special.  and i would say the average age of the cruisers is higher.  The fun thing is to look for the new cruisers.  14 days first time out.    One thing i learnt is i kinda get tired of the food on board.   It is good food now but it is different than my normal with spices and all.  I found that eating off the ship one time clears my palet for the ships cuisine.   I am good for several more days.  i got a short journey scheduled next june outta NYC .  i love the longer cruises.  I think you should just go and enjoy and dont worry about anything. IT is all FUN.  

4 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

It is almost a year away, but I will be going on my first Carnival Journeys cruise. It will be a 14 day southern Carribean on the Breeze. I have a few questions. For one, are Journey cruisers more likely to be old, like me? Will there be only one lobster night? On "80s" night,  exactly what dances for the decade are taught?  I think I want to know this more than anything! [ I have NEVER been able to dance, but thought if I were to practice an hour or so every night for the next year, I might POSSIBLY get the steps right [at least some of the time]

Will the menus be much different than the 7 day cruises? Are the advertized lectures actally interesting and informative? I would love to have these questions answered along with any other information anyone would be kins enough to share.

We are currently on the Breeze doing the same Journey cruise right now.  I will try and answer your questions but feel free to ask more.  The clientele is older and as previously stated, a large amount of Diamonds and Plats.  There are two lobster nights.  Can’t answer the dance questions, entertainment is very good, throw back is wonderful.  Menus are different, I will be doing a review and will attempt to post what I can.

Look on YouTube for thriller on a carnival ship, the do that one on most cruises. Practice electric slide, the wobble, Cupid shuffle and you should have enough to keep you busy. You can just try the rest on board. I've seen one country, they do it to cotton-eyed Joe or to let your love flow, same dance though.

Some other popular ones, if you are a quick learner and have time are shake it off from taylor swift, copperhead road from Steve Earle, and footloose from Kenny loggins.... a fun one that's easy that you may hear is bikers shuffle. 

Edited by Lottacruises

1 hour ago, Sagittarius traveler said:

I always wondered about the age group and the activities I hope it isn’t boring that many day on a ship. I plan on doing a journey cruise .

Well you get to know some people better and the crew gets use to you and your desires.  Also you usually get to see islands that you just dont get to normally.  Tobago, Grenada, St martinique, barbados......  So there is an adventure just in the ports.   I was actually glad for sea days at times to get a rest lol

Our first Journeys cruise was in 2015. I was in my late 30s. The clientele were older, but not in a bad way in my opinion. We got to meet a lot of people who are serious travelers like us. Hardly any children so things were tamer. My fondest memories of being on board were chilling at the aft pool (which was adults only). We met so many nice people. Since it was a 14 dayer, we really got to know people. We are going again next November and cannot WAIT!

I have to disagree with the poster above who said the only difference between and 3 day cruise and a 7 day cruise is 4 days. Our experience is that with cheaper cruises (short cruises are dirt cheap), you’re going to have a different demographic..... I told my husband after our last 6 day (we had to do a B2B because the Journeys cruise during our timeframe was sold out) that I’d never do a non-Journeys cruise again. It was a zoo. (On the Vista).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, amyj23 said:

Our first Journeys cruise was in 2015. I was in my late 30s. The clientele were older, but not in a bad way in my opinion. We got to meet a lot of people who are serious travelers like us. Hardly any children so things were tamer. My fondest memories of being on board were chilling at the aft pool (which was adults only). We met so many nice people. Since it was a 14 dayer, we really got to know people. We are going again next November and cannot WAIT!

I have to disagree with the poster above who said the only difference between and 3 day cruise and a 7 day cruise is 4 days. Our experience is that with cheaper cruises (short cruises are dirt cheap), you’re going to have a different demographic..... I told my husband after our last 6 day (we had to do a B2B because the Journeys cruise during our timeframe was sold out) that I’d never do a non-Journeys cruise again. It was a zoo. (On the Vista).

you got a good point and i agree, the short ones tend to be a little on the party side.  (look I am being nice)  But then time of year will have some to do with that also.  But on a journey it is very serious cruisers for the most part.  My daughter did take the little ones out of school though but they spent thier time in the camp.  I have learnt on a b2b that the demographics from one week to the next can by huge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mredandchis said:

Well you get to know some people better and the crew gets use to you and your desires.  Also you usually get to see islands that you just dont get to normally.  Tobago, Grenada, St martinique, barbados......  So there is an adventure just in the ports.   I was actually glad for sea days at times to get a rest lol

Yeah, I want to do the one to Asia that they have for next year . 

Sea day = rest day hahaha got it.

• Like 1

There is an 11 day Journeys out of Charleston on the Sunshine in December 2019. We've been wanting to visit Turks & Caicos and know that Carnival is one of the few lines that port there. We have never been on any Carnival ship and I know that Sunshine is a little older, but sailing out of Charleston would be a big plus as it's the closest port to us (we usually drive down to Miami).

Looking for opinions on this ship/itinerary- would this be good for a first-timer, or should we consider another ship sailing out of different port?

5 hours ago, Carolina Girl 99 said:

There is an 11 day Journeys out of Charleston on the Sunshine in December 2019. We've been wanting to visit Turks & Caicos and know that Carnival is one of the few lines that port there. We have never been on any Carnival ship and I know that Sunshine is a little older, but sailing out of Charleston would be a big plus as it's the closest port to us (we usually drive down to Miami).

Looking for opinions on this ship/itinerary- would this be good for a first-timer, or should we consider another ship sailing out of different port?

Did a 14 day on the sunshine, she is a good ship.  wish i was going with ya.  

Well, thank you for all the responses, and would love even more. I am okay with it being mostly senior citizens, as zi am a senior citizen myself. Since many seniors use the elevators, that will probably give me more room to run up and down the stairs! We are an Autistic group and less chaos would keep us out of the library and trivia games  more.

Like many Autistic people, I am dyspraxic. That makes it super hard for me to learn dance steps. Though, like pretty much all Autistic people, I have sensory issues, but I CAN handle a lot of high sensory load situations IF I make myself a PART of it [still need massive recovery time in cabin afterwards] The reason I want to learn dance steps in advance is because if I am all frustrated by getting confused while trying to dance I will get frustrated and overloaded  and need to "hide" in my cabin and miss out on a lot of fun. That is one reason I am SUPER INTERESTED in finding out the dances is so that I can overlearn them in advance. 

I am already saving up for new headphones because no way do I want to miss out on the GALA Buffet. 

It is almost a year before my Journey cruise, and I am already enjoying it so much that I feel I have ALREADY gotten my moneys worth!

On 11/12/2018 at 5:08 AM, jimbo5544 said:

We are currently on the Breeze doing the same Journey cruise right now.  I will try and answer your questions but feel free to ask more.  The clientele is older and as previously stated, a large amount of Diamonds and Plats.  There are two lobster nights.  Can’t answer the dance questions, entertainment is very good, throw back is wonderful.  Menus are different, I will be doing a review and will attempt to post what I can.

I am SOOOO Excited for your review!

• Thanks 1

Just now, picomullet said:

I am looking forward to your review too!!  I was following along with JH for a few days.  Sounds like a fabulous cruise..

It has been great.  I should start the review this weekend.  Thanks for the kind words.  

We did a B2B Journeys 10 and 11 days on the Dream and loved. We were worried before we departed about 21 days. They did a White Night, 80's, a few lobster dinners. We split our meals between the MDR, Italian, Steakhouse and one Chef's Table. As far as formal, I have not brought a jacket or tie for at least 10 years. 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:03 AM, mredandchis said:

Tobago, Grenada, St martinique, barbados…

There is St.Martin and Martinique, just an FYI.