Club Orange Press Release November 12

Caribbean Chris

1 hour ago, rjbean4 said:

This is absolutely terrible. We were just on the Zuiderdam and disembarked on Nov. 4th. We did some new bookings while on board and then the emails came for this Club Orange for our upcoming 18 days on the Nieuw Statendam. When we look at it as 5 Star Mariners and 700 day Platinum medallion holders they should really be making this available complementary to more people like us who have spent the time and money to reach these levels. We already get some of these Club Orange perks and now if we want Club Orange we have to pay for them. $50 a day is a lot per person and when just one person in a cabin can't  have it. Yeah its a real insult to all of us that have a very high number of days and we are always in a form of a suite cabin weather its a Signature or a Vista as these categories should be included too. For us we will never pay the $50 for this. Its like when the price of the clam shells at HMC doubled for the same thing and we have been there on some occasions that the time we get there is less. We stopped reserving one and my mom doesn't even go ashore there any more and when I do its just to go for a walk. Also when we were just there on the Zuiderdam there were empty cabanas as people were not spending the money on them.

Write to the Mariner services group and let them know how you feel.  It is easy to do on the HAL website - I did it 2 days ago - waiting for a reply.

taking a 21 day cruise  we would have to pay $2100 more. Being 5* gives us a lot of perks and we don't need this. I doubt it will survive thru 2019. Just another idea from the bean counters who keep screwing up HAL. Like taking out libraries, putting Dufry  in charge of the shops and reducing service all around as well as the decline in food. X and Azamara keep looking better and better. Sailed on Seabourn a year  ago it spoiled us. Well worth the higher cost. Too bad they don't sail from Fla R/T.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rjbean4 said:

This is absolutely terrible. We were just on the Zuiderdam and disembarked on Nov. 4th. We did some new bookings while on board and then the emails came for this Club Orange for our upcoming 18 days on the Nieuw Statendam. When we look at it as 5 Star Mariners and 700 day Platinum medallion holders they should really be making this available complementary to more people like us who have spent the time and money to reach these levels. We already get some of these Club Orange perks and now if we want Club Orange we have to pay for them. $50 a day is a lot per person and when just one person in a cabin can't  have it. Yeah its a real insult to all of us that have a very high number of days and we are always in a form of a suite cabin weather its a Signature or a Vista as these categories should be included too. For us we will never pay the $50 for this. Its like when the price of the clam shells at HMC doubled for the same thing and we have been there on some occasions that the time we get there is less. We stopped reserving one and my mom doesn't even go ashore there any more and when I do its just to go for a walk. Also when we were just there on the Zuiderdam there were empty cabanas as people were not spending the money on them.

There has been talk about a 6 star level which no doubt would provide some more rewards.  The number mentioned was 1000 cruise day credits, or maybe 1000 days.  I doubt if HAL will add anything more to the Star level rewards as is, but I hope they don't start taking them away!

2 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

Maybe the four and five star Mariners should contact the society and request special lines at EXC and Guest Relations.

We phone Guest Relations or I stop on the way to pick up the newspapers at 7 am or so.  So much nicer than standing in line, works well and there is almost never anyone around.  We receive what we consider the best service this way.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I have called HAL and emailed as well to express my very strong negative reaction to Orange Club. Holland America is not a Faster-to-fun Carnival cruise. But that is what they're trying to shove down our throats! Hate this very short-sighted money grab! We deserve way more respect than that!

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:16 PM, Son of a son of a ... said:

We booked an AFB Vista Suite on the Nieuw Statendam for a 7 day cruise.  If we purchase the Orange Club for two of us, then we might as well pay another $45 on top of what we would spend on the Club and book a Signature Suite.  

Absolutely agree.  For my upcoming GWV the cost would be $6400 as a solo.  For that I could upgrade my Inside to an OV.  Duh...

HAL must thrive in the modern commercial world where -- despite the fantasies of some 4-star Mariners -- the truth is contained in the adage: "I work for money, if you want loyalty, buy a dog." Sadly, if you behave like a dog you may get treated like one. 

HAL's calculation is clearly that loyalists will keep wagging their tails and coming back for more. Or at least enough of them will that retailing their 'perks' to new strays will be worth the brouhaha. So the loyalists will be soon be rubbing shoulders with deep-pocketed hoi polloi just as they would in the lifeboats. 

Bet HAL is right

• Like 1

It is increasing clear to me that Mr. Ashford has little interest in the 4-5 Star Mariner Program. He appears to want to change the demographic of Holland America Line and wants HAL to appeal to younger neuveau riche cruisers who don't have a clue or care about true quality and will spend. spend, spend. Loyalty is being treated very differently under Mr. Ashford's leadership, and not for the better. Sign of the times!

• The only perk we enjoy is the free laundry. All the rest we find nice to have, but is not the reason we cruise. I have not read any where yet that the 4 & 5 * perks will disappear?? I guess time will tell weather it's a good deal or not.
  • Allan 
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, jhannah said:

Just a way to provide suite perks without having to construct the additional real estate.

That's what I was thinking when they announced it for the N Statendam & Koningsdam.  Those ships have a fewer percentage of Neptune Suites from what I can see?

But with them expanding it to the rest of the fleet?

I have a hard time seeing value in this.  I'm betting the 'dedicated' telephone concierge the Club Orange people get is the same one that the Signature Suites get - the front desk 😉 

As a 4 STAR I agree With the majority.

I’m disappointed with HAL! Doing Rotterdam from San Diego to FLL. For us Laundry and 50% on Specialty restaurants is what we like, but getting off and boarding Oceania in Miami for a TA is sooo

much better and have many more perks that are included. Some might disagree But for us free WiFi, laundry, specialty restaurants, shuttle service in ports included and specialty beverage package does it for us!! After this next cruise unless things change for the better after 10 dedicated years we might switch to Oceania or Reagents!

😕Denise

I wrote to HAL's "guest relations" about our disappointment after having booked a Neptune suite that now most of our perks will be available for purchase to anyone for A LOT less than we are paying for our suite.  Yes we have more room but part of the reason we booked a suite were for the special "suite only" perks.  Basically their reply was arguing one point of my email about how much less some cabins are and a 'you're more than welcome to rebook to a lower cabin and add the club orange' comment.  That was pretty much it! Not even so much as a "we're sorry you are disappointed" or anything like that. HAL is free to do what they want.  They can treat well paying, loyal customers however they want and think we will keep returning for more of the same.  I do like HAL's smaller ships and service but I want to feel like a company appreciates me as a customer as well.  After this booked cruise with HAL I see no point to be loyal to them in the future.  They obviously don't need my business or care about my satisfaction so on to another cruise line where I can be treated like just a dollar sign for much less money!  Very disappointing.

HAL's response:

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding your upcoming cruise on board the ms Oosterdam departing June 30, 2019.

Our guests in lower priced Suites have always been able to purchase a Suite Amenities package to give them quite a few but not all of the Neptune Suite amenities. So the ability to buy a lower rate Suite and get some of the perks of the higher rate Suite is nothing new. Of course people who purchase lower rate Suites also have rooms that are at least 100 sq ft smaller and have considerably smaller verandahs and in many cases not as luxurious bath facilities etc. Also unless we were able to compare which promotions the people who paid less are booked under it is impossible to compare as a rate that is $1700 per person less may be under a promotion that does not offer the Explore 4 amenities.

It would be your prerogative to book a smaller, lower priced suite with less amenities and purchase the Club Orange yourself but again you would be sacrificing a considerable amount of square footage and potentially quite a few amenities that are not included in Club Orange.

Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance or visit us online. We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future!

Kind Regards,

Michael

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

As a 4 STAR I agree With the majority.

I’m disappointed with HAL! Doing Rotterdam from San Diego to FLL. For us Laundry and 50% on Specialty restaurants is what we like, but getting off and boarding Oceania in Miami for a TA is sooo

much better and have many more perks that are included. Some might disagree But for us free WiFi, laundry, specialty restaurants, shuttle service in ports included and specialty beverage package does it for us!! After this next cruise unless things change for the better after 10 dedicated years we might switch to Oceania or Reagents!

😕Denise

Denise, you must have gotten a special incentive package with O.  I succeeded on the free wifi but laundry service is not free.  Shuttle service was not free in all ports either nor did we get a specialty beverage package but, probably it's like HAL and you pay for it 😉

You CAN bring on all the wine you want on O.

I hope you have a fabulous time on O. 😄 

1 hour ago, TwinMommyByGrace said:

I wrote to HAL's "guest relations" about our disappointment after having booked a Neptune suite that now most of our perks will be available for purchase to anyone for A LOT less than we are paying for our suite.  Yes we have more room but part of the reason we booked a suite were for the special "suite only" perks.  Basically their reply was arguing one point of my email about how much less some cabins are and a 'you're more than welcome to rebook to a lower cabin and add the club orange' comment.  That was pretty much it! Not even so much as a "we're sorry you are disappointed" or anything like that. HAL is free to do what they want.  They can treat well paying, loyal customers however they want and think we will keep returning for more of the same.  I do like HAL's smaller ships and service but I want to feel like a company appreciates me as a customer as well.  After this booked cruise with HAL I see no point to be loyal to them in the future.  They obviously don't need my business or care about my satisfaction so on to another cruise line where I can be treated like just a dollar sign for much less money!  Very disappointing.

HAL's response:

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding your upcoming cruise on board the ms Oosterdam departing June 30, 2019.

Our guests in lower priced Suites have always been able to purchase a Suite Amenities package to give them quite a few but not all of the Neptune Suite amenities. So the ability to buy a lower rate Suite and get some of the perks of the higher rate Suite is nothing new. Of course people who purchase lower rate Suites also have rooms that are at least 100 sq ft smaller and have considerably smaller verandahs and in many cases not as luxurious bath facilities etc. Also unless we were able to compare which promotions the people who paid less are booked under it is impossible to compare as a rate that is $1700 per person less may be under a promotion that does not offer the Explore 4 amenities.

It would be your prerogative to book a smaller, lower priced suite with less amenities and purchase the Club Orange yourself but again you would be sacrificing a considerable amount of square footage and potentially quite a few amenities that are not included in Club Orange.

Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance or visit us online. We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future!

Kind Regards,

Michael

At least you got a response - I have not yet heard back from my comments early last week.

32 minutes ago, kazu said:

Denise, you must have gotten a special incentive package with O.  I succeeded on the free wifi but laundry service is not free.  Shuttle service was not free in all ports either nor did we get a specialty beverage package but, probably it's like HAL and you pay for it 😉

You CAN bring on all the wine you want on O.

I hope you have a fabulous time on O. 😄 

Hi Jacqui,

i went to my reservations and we are paying for the O-Life package! I was able to pick either beverage package which we will up grade on board to enjoy all day and not just lunch and dinner. They also had excursions you could pick also. The laundry was for Concierge up. We are in a PH just like you had with José when it was his birthday! So yes it is a special package. We could have air included but since we are in FLL we didn’t need it so received a big credit towards our trip! Comparing TA on HAL Oceania To is was better. Will see Jacqui how things go. It is just sad 😞 how HAL is changing! Now the free shuttle 

in ports is a plus and is for all on board.

thanks for responding, I appreciate your help and time always!

Denise😊

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:12 PM, SeaBands said:

taking a 21 day cruise  we would have to pay $2100 more. Being 5* gives us a lot of perks and we don't need this. I doubt it will survive thru 2019. Just another idea from the bean counters who keep screwing up HAL. Like taking out libraries, putting Dufry  in charge of the shops and reducing service all around as well as the decline in food. X and Azamara keep looking better and better. Sailed on Seabourn a year  ago it spoiled us. Well worth the higher cost. Too bad they don't sail from Fla R/T.

Totally agree - can't get a handle on what the objective (other than something else to spend extra on) is with this program.  Having just achieved 4-Star level, I feel that this is a way to buy the amenities without being a loyal passenger.

Love to be a fly on the wall at the next Mariners Lunch (where they thank us for our loyalty to HAL) when someone stands up in front of all the 3*, 4* and 5* Mariners and demands to know why HAL doesn't truly value our loyalty enough to protect the perks they have made us cruise for so long to achieve! Do they think they can just fly under the radar and that we're not paying attention? They're selling off our earned perks to anyone willing to join Orange. BTY, I have not yet received an answer to the email I sent a week ago. :classic_angry: