Cyber Monday Vs. Black Friday

Just now, Host Clarea said:

Not bad, but really does not matter if you are committed to purchasing.  Once you buy, if you see a lower price, just cancel and re-order.

Thanks for the feedback, Bob. I have not cruised with Royal Caribbean in 10 years, and this is my first time prepurchasing a package like this one. Wasn't sure what would be considered an "acceptable" price LOL. 

I'll buy it now. 

16 hours ago, steveru621 said:

The question is, how do you know you got an actual discount on the shore excursions?

I’ve been neurotically checking the prices daily since July 🙂. I know that 2 were lower than they were before, but one, horseback riding in st Kitts is higher than what we paid for it back in July.

On 11/25/2018 at 4:18 AM, molly361 said:

Apparently.  I wondered why it kept sounding like a 1 day sale.  The sale started Thursday and goes thru Monday

Thats in order to create a fake sense of urgency.  

Or is it to create a sense of fake urgency 🤔

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Pretty pathetic sales for both Black Friday and Cyber Monday.  As others have stated, the same deals roll around very often with other names.

Dan

A fake sale by any other name is still a fake sale— Michael Bayley 

I started watching the prices on all bev packages since we booked.  I got the refreshment package for the kids for $17, supposedly 40% off onboard prices. Yesterday it was priced at 10% off totalling $17.  Weird.  Then went to book our deluxe bev package.

Yesterday, it was not on sale at $47.  Today, it’s on sale (buy one get one 50% off, so 25% off each) and it comes to $47.  So they raised the price to about $62 in order to give a “discount.”  Talk about deceptive trade practices.

We opted out of a package this trip.

Edited by SA Mom

58 minutes ago, SA Mom said:

I started watching the prices on all bev packages since we booked.  I got the refreshment package for the kids for $17, supposedly 40% off onboard prices. Yesterday it was priced at 10% off totalling $17.  Weird.  Then went to book our deluxe bev package.

Yesterday, it was not on sale at $47.  Today, it’s on sale (buy one get one 50% off, so 25% off each) and it comes to $47.  So they raised the price to about $62 in order to give a “discount.”  Talk about deceptive trade practices.

We opted out of a package this trip.

There is a specific onboard price for each sailing on each ship, and the sales are always consistent against those prices. The Deluxe Beverage Package is most always 20%, 25% or 30% off the onboard price, rounded down, generally.

What does happen is that the percentage-off banners can take up to a day to show up when a sale begins or changes. That's poor web site design, for sure. But it's nothing to do with any sort of "fake" sale.

If your sailing is in 2019, the Refreshment Package onboard price is $29. The Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale has been 40% off onboard prices.

References to "fake" pricing on sales by Royal Caribbean is about the cruise pricing, where you'll see fluctuating prices and often discounts migrating around, sometimes as a BOGO60, sometimes as a BOGO50+SomethingElse, and sometimes as just general repricing of a category on the ship, resulting in the same net price you'd get having done mock bookings.

This doesn't happen with Cruise Planner pricing. It may not always be clear at first glance what the onboard price is for a given sailing without doing some math, but it stays at that price.

I didn’t have a problem with $17 for refreshment package.  That’s in line with what  we usually pay.  But to offer something one day at $47 regular price and then offer it at 25% off the next day but the price is the same at the regular price is something else.  We’ve always purchased the deluxe plan and I had never seen prices do this before.  I price through cruise planner.  

33 minutes ago, SA Mom said:

I didn’t have a problem with $17 for refreshment package.  That’s in line with what  we usually pay.  But to offer something one day at $47 regular price and then offer it at 25% off the next day but the price is the same at the regular price is something else.  We’ve always purchased the deluxe plan and I had never seen prices do this before.  I price through cruise planner.  

Your sailing's onboard price for the Deluxe Beverage Package is $63.

At 20% off it'll be sold for $50; at 25% off it'll be sold for $47; and at 30% off it'll be sold at $44.

All you really experienced was the [yes, somewhat ridiculous] out of sync banner overlaying the graphic. But your onboard price isn't changing; the sale prices that'll be offered from it aren't changing. They screwed up the image on what I'm pretty sure we all know to be a very dysfunctional web site.

It's comparable to a store that marked the sale price on the item before changing the sign on the window.

17 hours ago, dswallow said:

This doesn't happen with Cruise Planner pricing. It may not always be clear at first glance what the onboard price is for a given sailing without doing some math, but it stays at that price.

That's certainly not been true of excursion sales.  I saved the excursion planner two months ago.  The 'sale' price was exactly what it was in the excursion planner.