Jump to content

RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)


John&LaLa
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, marceloyga said:

It is in Spanish but you can see sky class on the star loft suite 

5120BA9C-92B7-4C05-A181-009097DD4ABE.png


that’s really weird since the 2BR aqua suite is a lower class suite than the star loft suite is still showing as Star class. I would email Royal Caribbean about that to get a definitive answer in writing. If you do, please keep us posted on what they say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2019 at 1:10 PM, tinkr2 said:

Long before the bid program, they waited until 3 days before to notify me. I have booked guarantee all the time for 20 years, it was often last minute then and now. You know you're on the ship in a balcony, how is this diminishing your pre cruise experience? 

Just Jersey Girl Drama....believe me, I live here and have to go through it too!🙄😁😁🤣LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I put in a max bid for something, am I almost sure to get it? If I put in a max bid for multiple things, will I get the room with the highest bid? I'm not actually going to do this, just curious how it works. I know it's mostly a mystery, just looking for other's experience.

 

I want to put in a strong big for an Owner's Suite, and a small bid for a Junior Suite, but I'd much rather have the Owner's Suite - should I not bother bidding on the Jr Suite?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No way to tell.  A strong bid may increase the likelihood that your bid might win (but also check if the "strong" bid is more than the cost of purchasing that category of cabin if it's still available).  A "strong" bid doesn't guarantee it will be accepted though.  People have speculated that new cruisers might be given preference to introduce them to new cabin categories.  People have also speculated that frequent cruisers sometimes get a preference.  People have wondered if the whole program is just a marketing tool for RCL to collect data, since it appears that bids are solicited for sold-out cruises and sold-out categories too.  People wonder if they hold cabins back for the program, or if RCL only uses the unsold cabins and last minute cancellations.  The only thing we know for sure is that a "strong" bid doesn't appear to guarantee acceptance, and a weak bid doesn't appear to guarantee rejection. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, tomservo said:

It says all the Suites are sold out - do they hold some back or is this just a data collection exercise?

 

I think that there is an element of market research here, but I also think that what we see as sold out is not the entire inventory picture.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Truluv said:

No way to tell.  A strong bid may increase the likelihood that your bid might win (but also check if the "strong" bid is more than the cost of purchasing that category of cabin if it's still available).  A "strong" bid doesn't guarantee it will be accepted though.  People have speculated that new cruisers might be given preference to introduce them to new cabin categories.  People have also speculated that frequent cruisers sometimes get a preference.  People have wondered if the whole program is just a marketing tool for RCL to collect data, since it appears that bids are solicited for sold-out cruises and sold-out categories too.  People wonder if they hold cabins back for the program, or if RCL only uses the unsold cabins and last minute cancellations.  The only thing we know for sure is that a "strong" bid doesn't appear to guarantee acceptance, and a weak bid doesn't appear to guarantee rejection. 

 

Thanks for the insight, I figured as much.

 

In either case, I put in a max bid for an OS, 85% of max for GS, and 50% for JS. I will report back if I get anything, but I'm trying not to expect anything. We're a cabin of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) in a balcony. We're new to RCI, so here's to hoping for a new cruiser bump! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s more thank likely a simple algorithm used to calculate overall total revenue, nothing to do with status.

 

For example if someone in a balcony bids 500 on a grand suite and someone in a JS bids 600 on a GS, who wins the bid? 

 

It really depends. Let’s say no one else bid on the JS, but someone bid 300 to go from OV to balcony. The balcony person would get the GS at the lower bid because it’s more overall money for Royal (800 for balcony and GS upgrade rather than just 600).

 

Its of course a lot more complex with so many staterooms at play and people only being offered certain rooms, but’s that’s basic concept of how upgrade programs generate maximum revenue. Mo magic, voodoo, or loyalty at play.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

It’s more thank likely a simple algorithm used to calculate overall total revenue, nothing to do with status.

 

For example if someone in a balcony bids 500 on a grand suite and someone in a JS bids 600 on a GS, who wins the bid? 

 

It really depends. Let’s say no one else bid on the JS, but someone bid 300 to go from OV to balcony. The balcony person would get the GS at the lower bid because it’s more overall money for Royal (800 for balcony and GS upgrade rather than just 600).

 

Its of course a lot more complex with so many staterooms at play and people only being offered certain rooms, but’s that’s basic concept of how upgrade programs generate maximum revenue. Mo magic, voodoo, or loyalty at play.

 

Obviously the JS passenger who outbid the Balcony passenger 

 

I think a more challenging situation is if someone in a balcony bids 700, and someone in a JS bids 500. Who gets it?

 

Obviously they should be able to make more money reselling the JS than the balcony.

 

That spread is the algorithms solution 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tomservo said:

If I put in a max bid for something, am I almost sure to get it? If I put in a max bid for multiple things, will I get the room with the highest bid? I'm not actually going to do this, just curious how it works. I know it's mostly a mystery, just looking for other's experience.

 

I want to put in a strong big for an Owner's Suite, and a small bid for a Junior Suite, but I'd much rather have the Owner's Suite - should I not bother bidding on the Jr Suite?

I would not bid on the JS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Why is that?

Always good to have a backup 

Poster really wants an OS so in their case that's the only one I would bid on  Also better bennies on a full suite as opposed to a JS  Kind of like betting against yourself

Edited by molly361
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Poster really wants an OS so in their case that's the only one I would bid on  Also better bennies on a full suite as opposed to a JS  Kind of like betting against yourself

 

I know the rule of thumb around here is that the JS isn't worth the upgrade, the only reason I put a bid in was:

1) a backup in case I don't get the OS or GS

2) I don't mind spending a little extra for the extra space in the room, the extra space on the balcony, and the dinner in CK (first time on Royal)

 

I have a much higher bid (max) on the OS, would they really rather put me in a JS for much less? Maybe I should withdraw my JS bid for now and submit closer to sailing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tomservo said:

 

I know the rule of thumb around here is that the JS isn't worth the upgrade, the only reason I put a bid in was:

1) a backup in case I don't get the OS or GS

2) I don't mind spending a little extra for the extra space in the room, the extra space on the balcony, and the dinner in CK (first time on Royal)

 

I have a much higher bid (max) on the OS, would they really rather put me in a JS for much less? Maybe I should withdraw my JS bid for now and submit closer to sailing?

 

Take this for what it's worth....which isn't much.  ☺️

 

We won a GS by bidding aggressively on it (from a JS) on Anthem, 9 night sailing last month.  I bid strongly because we still were only paying about 55% of the lowest price RCI had on the GS.

 

We bid more, dollar-wise, on the Sky Loft and the Owners Suite.  And the Sky Loft was in the 'good' range, the OS in the fair range.  We were both very happy with the GS.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, barbeyg said:

 

Take this for what it's worth....which isn't much.  ☺️

 

We won a GS by bidding aggressively on it (from a JS) on Anthem, 9 night sailing last month.  I bid strongly because we still were only paying about 55% of the lowest price RCI had on the GS.

 

We bid more, dollar-wise, on the Sky Loft and the Owners Suite.  And the Sky Loft was in the 'good' range, the OS in the fair range.  We were both very happy with the GS.

 

 

 

I would be happy with any of them at each of the price points, but I really want the OS which is why I put in the max bid. If I get it, the total cost will be less than my 4 night stay in the Haven on NCL this past April 😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While a junior suite is a good sized cabin with a huge walk in closet, bidding on it will actually lessen the likelihood of you getting a true suite that includes great perks.  If your jr suite bid is accepted it will cancel out the bid for grand suite or higher.  The ship has many more JR suites then the true suites

 

Enjoy your cruise, regardless of which cabin/suite you are sailing in .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

While a junior suite is a good sized cabin with a huge walk in closet, bidding on it will actually lessen the likelihood of you getting a true suite that includes great perks.  If your jr suite bid is accepted it will cancel out the bid for grand suite or higher.  The ship has many more JR suites then the true suites

 

Enjoy your cruise, regardless of which cabin/suite you are sailing in .

 

Just curious, do you have any valid data that bidding on a JS will lessen your chance of getting an OS?  Seems a stretch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting thoughts but not sure I agree either.  Royal will get more of my money if they put us in a GS so I’d think they’d take that over the JS if space was available.  We bid on both because we rarely spring for a JS and would be happy in either especially when we don’t get double points. Why would the JS bid be accepted before the GS?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm on Navigator now.  Just got to Cococay.  I bid the minimum bid on an OS (from a GS) and got it.  The OS is huge and we love the extra room for just 2 people.   after we boarded I asked the cabin attendant to move the beds apart when she had time.  She said " didn't they tell you when you booked the cabin that some of the cabins have beds that cannot be moved apart."  I told her no and she showed me that the end tables were permanently attached.  

 

Thankfully it it doesn't matter since my sis in law and I don't have a problem with one bed.  But some people may so it's something to keep in mind.

 

Cruise has been wonderful so far.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Interesting thoughts but not sure I agree either.  Royal will get more of my money if they put us in a GS so I’d think they’d take that over the JS if space was available.  We bid on both because we rarely spring for a JS and would be happy in either especially when we don’t get double points. Why would the JS bid be accepted before the GS?  

 

BUT..if someone in an inside has a bid for a balcony room and that amount PLUS what you bid on the JS will net them more money than your GS bid, they make take the JS bid.  RoyalUp is not a highest bidder wins auction..every bid acceptance has a snowball effect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...