RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

I'm curious as to how it would work if you did get upgraded after boarding but didn't have Internet to access your email. How would you know you'd been upgraded? Would someone from guest services contact you?

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

That's why I cancelled my pending bid as soon as I boarded

Yup, in fact you were sitting with me in the SL that afternoon when I cancelled both my bids on Harmony that last time.  And that was when we were only sailing at 40%.   And actually many higher end suites went empty. 

Not interested in waiting for Royal Up to send me that decline email at 8-9 pm that night, like they did the previous week.  

But I had another way around that....which worked for me.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

How would you know you'd been upgraded? Would someone from guest services contact you?

I don’t think anyone has ever reported being upgraded the day of sailing, via Royal Up. 

Edited by Biker19

2 hours ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Unfortunately they have no choice to finalize day of sailing in order to use no show/covid test failure cancellations.  Repacking is a small price to pay if you really want the upgrade.

There are always choices.  😉 

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

I'm curious as to how it would work if you did get upgraded after boarding but didn't have Internet to access your email. How would you know you'd been upgraded? Would someone from guest services contact you?

I seriously doubt there are many that received an upgrade well after sail away.   But then again...good question.  

Anyone out there ever finally get your Royal Up upgrade well after sail away???  Even when it still showed "pending" on embarkation day after you boarded?  

1 minute ago, island lady said:

I seriously doubt there are many that received an upgrade well after sail away.   But then again...good question.  

Anyone out there ever finally get your Royal Up upgrade well after sail away???  Even when it still showed "pending" on embarkation day after you boarded?  

I’ve only had it happen to one client and they had a message in their room that evening.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

I’ve only had it happen to one client and they had a message in their room that evening.

Yup, figured it was rare.   And assuming even more rare now that ships are sailing full.  

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

That's why I cancelled my pending bid as soon as I boarded

Perfect!

Let the bidder take the initiative.  That way the bidder is in control and decide when to call it quits.

If you don’t want you move after you unpack, cancel your pending bids by the time you unpack.

If you don’t want to move after check in, cancel your pending bids in the terminal.

If you want one (or two or three) days notice, then cancel your pending bids one (or two or three) days before the cruise.

If you’d still jump up to do a happy dance in the unlikely event guest services called your cabin to say you won your bid (after you unpacked and settled in the first night), then leave your bids in hopes of the small chance of a late win.

All those feelings are valid; each bidder should act accordingly.  If all those who do not wish to win late in the process cancel their bids, then RoyalUp will only have bids from those still willing to win/move.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Not interested in waiting for Royal Up to send me that decline email at 8-9 pm that night, like they did the previous week. 

Our rejections didn't come in until 2 am so I didn't see them until the next day. It didn't occur to me to cancel them but I think I'd have been happy to move even the next morning since I'd have been going from an obstructed balcony to, at minimum, a GS! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

We’re new to RC, and have never done the Royal Up bidding. I just got our email today, and I’d like to bid on a couple rooms. I’ve heard of people missing their bids because their credit card isn’t in their profile. I can’t tell if they have my card on file or not. How do you check to make sure your credit card is up to date?

18 minutes ago, reefgeek83 said:

We’re new to RC, and have never done the Royal Up bidding. I just got our email today, and I’d like to bid on a couple rooms. I’ve heard of people missing their bids because their credit card isn’t in their profile. I can’t tell if they have my card on file or not. How do you check to make sure your credit card is up to date?

You now have to enter your CC when you make a bid so don't worry about that part.

15 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

No one knows that until testing is done and they look at no shows.

OK...so here is a novel idea.   Royal Up...give pax a "yah...or a nah" no later than 8-10 hours prior to departure.  Now that ships are sailing full....those last minute problems of filling a cabin...are pretty nil anyway.  

Then, in the case there are those rare examples of leftover cabins after sail away and manifest is closed...offer them up for upgrades at customer service desk.  Remember those signs at the desk that would let pax know ship was full, ....no upgrades available?  

OK...that would make too much sense...never mind.  😉 

Hi everyone. I am now 27 days away from my cruise on Voyager  of the Seas and anxiously looking to see if we have been upgraded.  The ship does not look very full and there are a large number of suites in all categories available. I bid on 4 categories. 

3 hours ago, island lady said:

OK...so here is a novel idea.   Royal Up...give pax a "yah...or a nah" no later than 8-10 hours prior to departure.  Now that ships are sailing full....those last minute problems of filling a cabin...are pretty nil anyway.  

Then, in the case there are those rare examples of leftover cabins after sail away and manifest is closed...offer them up for upgrades at customer service desk.  Remember those signs at the desk that would let pax know ship was full, ....no upgrades available?  

I think this is the way they handled it when cruising first restarted...but I suspect that the onboard crew did not want the headache of dealing with last minute upgrades and that's when this process went bye-bye.  In fact, weren't you one of the lucky recipients of an onboard upgrade ?  I think I remember reading that...maybe I'm confused.

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Yes, never mind .

On 6/9/2022 at 1:33 PM, Biker19 said:

No, that's an error the website shows (for a whole bunch of reasons) when you can't bid. You could get an offer (or able to bid) just about anytime inside final payment (90 days).

Biker, who got an offer 75 days out.

Final payment? Do you need to pay in full to qualify for Royal Up bidding?

For example, I just booked and my deposit was $500, I am within 40 days of sail but my full payment is due within a few days (two days), is it only after my final payment that I will have the Royal Up option? Thanks.

Edited by Rafa

3 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

That's good to know. I would not think that they'd want to pass on offering the potential "deal" to those who they've already identified as gamblers!

Tom

Since ships are now sailing almost full, doubt many suites will be available.  Perhaps upgrades from inside cabin to balcony are more realistic 

9 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Since ships are now sailing almost full, doubt many suites will be available.  Perhaps upgrades from inside cabin to balcony are more realistic 

We always book a full suite to start with - so it's then just a matter of getting a "better" one.

For our Wonder sailing in January, the only suite option left that I was comfortable with was a GS Guarantee (and I've NEVER went the guarantee route before), as the only other full suite was the Crown Loft at about $6k more... not worth it!

Tom

Success!!!
45 days from our alaska cruise, on Radiance of the Seas.

Doing online check in I noticed on the 1 inside cabin in our group of 6 cabins, a new room number assigned overnight!?!?

Here are the details.

Original inside cabin cost $688/ person incl taxes, fees etc.

minimum Royal up offer to balcony was $200, bid $250.

Got Balcony today, 45 days before sailing. Very happy.

Maybe of interest to some people here.

Our other 5 cabins were a primo Balcony on the hump with extended balcony, so no Royal up wanted or attempted.

3 cabins, we’re booked in Balcony’s but a few weeks ago I noticed Suite Guarantee rate that was cheaper than 2 of the later booked cabins and on one balcony (Mine) booked 2 years ago at a stupid cheap rate (Thanks COVID/ Lift n Shift) so I paid addl $450 to change to Suite Guarantee.

5th cabin was originally booked as an Inside, but decided to spend $$ to go to Suite Guarantee. NONE of these 5 cabins attempted Royal up.

This morning during 45 day online checking and using “barcode trick”

here are our results….

2 of us got Junior Suites, and other 2 hit the jackpot and are assigned Grand Suites. 
we are All happy!

• Like 3

Niece and I booked in a Jr. Suite, her son and wife booked in an inside cabin.  One of the move up offers for me is a two bedroom suite - if I won this bid and we chose to let the younger couple share with us, would I have to rebook for them and pay additional charges?  Thanks!