Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
John&LaLa

RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, bigjcruiser said:

Cruise is for 7 nights. I am thinking the same, had given up hope of upgrading and set sails ready printed for leaving.

 

Would be nice to have a view of the ocean. We’ve done a boardwalk room before and it was good for people watching but couldn’t see too much of the ocean. Wouldn’t want to bid much more than the minimum though if anything more so the bid probably wouldn’t get accepted! 

It’s worth a try you’ve nothing to loose. Good luck. Let us know how you get on with bid.

 

have a fab cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Royal Up offer for Cuba June 15th on Empress:

 

Owners Suite - $1000 pp

Junior Suite - $500 pp

 

Our cruise is sold out for everything but Interior.  I bid on a Junior Suite as a lark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the Royal Up replaced the Upgrade Ferry??  What is the closest to departure has anyone received an offer?   Has anyone been pleasantly surprised when they arrived at the port of an automatic upgrade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lovetocruise/diamond said:

   Has anyone been pleasantly surprised when they arrived at the port of an automatic upgrade?

I don't think anyone has reported that since Royal Up started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the upgrade fairy has been fired. Why give away rooms when people will pay something for them? The odds of no one bidding on a room among thousands of passengers is almost nil. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received an email to bid on a Royal Suite from a 2 BR OS on 7 night Jewel Med cruise leaving June 30. Minimum bid - $1800 per person. There are 4 of us. No thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kccrzr said:

Received an email to bid on a Royal Suite from a 2 BR OS on 7 night Jewel Med cruise leaving June 30. Minimum bid - $1800 per person. There are 4 of us. No thanks!

Not sure if you knew, they only charge the first two in the cabin with the Royal Up program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see my post is somewhat confusing. I did see in the FAQs that the bid amount applies to only the first two people in a cabin. I mentioned we had 4 people because that is the reason we booked a 2 BR Suite to begin with - I am not interested in trying to “upgrade” to a 1 BR for $3600+ more. Hopefully, someone else who would love the RS gets it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we got GS-->Crown Loft for $420 each

Edited by stompy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kccrzr said:

I see my post is somewhat confusing. I did see in the FAQs that the bid amount applies to only the first two people in a cabin. I mentioned we had 4 people because that is the reason we booked a 2 BR Suite to begin with - I am not interested in trying to “upgrade” to a 1 BR for $3600+ more. Hopefully, someone else who would love the RS gets it 

Royal Suite should be a 2 bedroom, at least on the newer ships it is.

Edited by jacads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jacads said:

Royal Suite should be a 2 bedroom, at least on the newer ships it is.

 

The old “Family Suites” have been reclassified as Owner’s Suites 2 Bedroom

 

the Royal Suite is really designed for rich couples

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wondering how it works......

The USA final payment date is before the UK final payment date: I believe 90 days vs 56 days

 

USA bookings for my 6/30 cruise have already been sent an UP email.   The UK final payment date is not for a few weeks yet..... therefore will they process the UP bids as they come in..... meaning by the time they get round to send out the UP email to UK guests there may be no cabins left as the USA guests have bid already..???? 

Or are all UP bids processed from one central point globally on a set day before departure?

Edited by little britain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

I have been invited to bid for Explorer on 14th & 24th May starting @ £205 & £150 respectively to up from Balcony to JS.

 

I wanted to compare this to the going rate for the stateroom but both were showing as 'Sold Out'. Reading the full blurb, the bid price range is based on your original booking price. Now what I don't know is whether that means if you booked 'cheap' you get a cheap upgrade or (to make up for their losses) a cheap original booking means a dear upgrade. I booked when the offer was second pax pays 60% and $300 OBC.

 

What I did not like was that even singletons like me that (usually) pay only a 50% single supplement on the original booking would still have to pay 2 x the bid *and* only get the original C&A points from the original booking. So stuff that - other vernacular expressions are available.

 

Perhaps this is where the RCI IT department has been noon-lighting instead of getting the website to work!

 

Regards,

 

Cublet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CarnivalCruiser32 said:

If you bid for and win an upgrade from a balcony to a suite how do they charge you the difference in Gratuities?

It will be on your on board account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CarnivalCruiser32 said:

If you bid for and win an upgrade from a balcony to a suite how do they charge you the difference in Gratuities?

Q. If I am upgraded to a higher category stateroom with RoyalUp, will I have to pay a gratuity amount based on the new upgraded category?

A. Yes, by upgrading to a higher stateroom category, each guest in the booking may be subject to a higher gratuity amount. The Offer Amount does not include the higher gratuity. If the Offer is accepted, the difference between the original and upgraded stateroom gratuities (if applicable) will be automatically applied to all guests (the “Additional Charges”).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It will be on your on board account.

 

12 minutes ago, little britain said:

Q. If I am upgraded to a higher category stateroom with RoyalUp, will I have to pay a gratuity amount based on the new upgraded category?

A. Yes, by upgrading to a higher stateroom category, each guest in the booking may be subject to a higher gratuity amount. The Offer Amount does not include the higher gratuity. If the Offer is accepted, the difference between the original and upgraded stateroom gratuities (if applicable) will be automatically applied to all guests (the “Additional Charges”).

Thanks so much!! Just went through the bidding process and it alerted me before proceeding "If you have Pre-Paid Gratuities you will automatically be charged the difference to cover the upgrade cost for your new category." which we do so that's good to know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Q: When I was bidding for the upgrade it said we could keep all the promotions we had previously but no new ones would be applied. We currently have a Boardwalk Balcony that came with two Soda packages but since that's a feature of the room we booked not necessarily a promotion that wouldn't stay with us if we do indeed get upgraded would it?

Edited by CarnivalCruiser32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CarnivalCruiser32 said:

Another Q: When I was bidding for the upgrade it said we could keep all the promotions we had previously but no new ones would be applied. We currently have a Boardwalk Balcony that came with two Soda packages but since that's a feature of the room we booked not necessarily a promotion that wouldn't stay with us if we do indeed get upgraded would it?

 

You would lose that promo because it it based on the stateroom you are in at the time of the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CarnivalCruiser32 said:

 We currently have a Boardwalk Balcony that came with two Soda packages but since that's a feature of the room we booked not necessarily a promotion that wouldn't stay with us if we do indeed get upgraded would it?

No, you would lose that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, cublet said:

Now what I don't know is whether that means if you booked 'cheap' you get a cheap upgrade or (to make up for their losses) a cheap original booking means a dear upgrade. I booked when the offer was second pax pays 60% and $300 OBC.

 

 

I can't speak for anyone else, but we got a really good price on a JS on our Adventure sailing in May.  In comparison, the JS category has only gone up in price, and was selling for more than double what we paid for it.  

 

That said, our upgrade pricing for a Grand Suite started really low, at $250 pp for an 8 night sailing.  The last time I checked, the GS was selling for $7000+ more than we paid for the JS. 😲 We bid on the low end for fun, but don't think we stand a snowball's chance....well you get the idea.  :classic_biggrin:  Will update if they accept our ridiculously lowball bid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

 

I can't speak for anyone else, but we got a really good price on a JS on our Adventure sailing in May.  In comparison, the JS category has only gone up in price, and was selling for more than double what we paid for it.  

 

That said, our upgrade pricing for a Grand Suite started really low, at $250 pp for an 8 night sailing.  The last time I checked, the GS was selling for $7000+ more than we paid for the JS. 😲 We bid on the low end for fun, but don't think we stand a snowball's chance....well you get the idea.  :classic_biggrin:  Will update if they accept our ridiculously lowball bid. 

 

Our winning bid was just $20 above the min so snowballs work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cublet said:

Hello,

 

I have been invited to bid for Explorer on 14th & 24th May starting @ £205 & £150 respectively to up from Balcony to JS.

 

I wanted to compare this to the going rate for the stateroom but both were showing as 'Sold Out'. Reading the full blurb, the bid price range is based on your original booking price. Now what I don't know is whether that means if you booked 'cheap' you get a cheap upgrade or (to make up for their losses) a cheap original booking means a dear upgrade. I booked when the offer was second pax pays 60% and $300 OBC.

 

Cheap is a relative term. If you think it's cheap, then it's cheap to you. To someone else it might be outlandish. Don't worry if you are getting a good deal. If it's worth it for you to spend the money, spend it. If it's not, don't. I'm sure the price of a JS was there when you originally booked, and, for whatever reason, you chose a balcony instead. Add up what it'll cost you to upgrade now and decide if you want to do it. The going rate should have nothing to do with that decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nav OTS May 20th, 3 staterooms, we have an Aft Balc SR so didnt want to bid as it is our 1st time in the Aft on a cruise, but our Sons and their GF's we got them inside, I put in min bid on all categories, just got upgraded to OS view, I had noticed all Inside SR on their web were sold out, so they wanted to make more room...so both were upgraded and both beside each other too, not bad deal!

Previous sailing on the Jewel Panama, we put in for JS, FS and RS, and nothing went thru but that cruise was I bet 99% full, so no deal there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, we are booked in a Grand Suite for a June sailing on the Oasis of the Seas. I received the "royal up" email yesterday.

 

Choices are:

 

Star Loft Suite - $1100 pp (minimum)

Aquatheater - 2BR -- $700 pp (minimum)

Aquatheater - 1BR -- $400 pp (minimum)

Crown Loft Suite - $300 pp (minimum)

Owner's Suite -- $300 pp (minimum)

 

I have very happy with the Grand Suite that we have, so I am contemplating whether to attempt a bid. Any thoughts? Regardless, I thought others might be interested to see what the offer is from RCL.

 

Cheers and happy cruising,

Marsha

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...