Nieuw Statendam Signature Suite bathtubs gone!!

bobpell

Knittinggirl we were told about the shower in the Signature Suite one week after final payment

We chose the cabin months ago after looking at the latest Cruise Atlas showing the deck plans for the Nieuw Statendam.

After the call 2 days ago from our TA about the cabin having a shower only,  I went back to the Atlas and perused the page of deck plans ponderously. There was no reference to ...Shower Only...

I would like to hear from suite sailors coming off the Kdam after her drydock to find out if HAL changed the bathroom to shower only!!??

On 12/6/2018 at 12:07 PM, OlsSalt said:

Those of us in drought-plagued Southern California have now become quite used  to sponge baths most of the time - or what got referred to as "ship board showers" by those on smaller water craft. The idea of filling an entire tub with water, using it once and then letting it drain away is the stuff of both nightmares and fantasy for a lot of us.   No even saving it in buckets for the gardens!?!  :classic_wacko:

We recently took out a tub and replaced it with a large shower. The contractor indicated it is common now. Lots of the new houses in the 2000-3000sf range no longer have them.

We replaced the large shallow soaker tub in our master with a small Japanese tub. It holds 70 gallons but I only fill it half way, which because of the seat, is less than half of the water. And because we wash first, there is no soap in the soak water, so our plants are happy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobpell said:

Knittinggirl we were told about the shower in the Signature Suite one week after final payment

We chose the cabin months ago after looking at the latest Cruise Atlas showing the deck plans for the Nieuw Statendam.

After the call 2 days ago from our TA about the cabin having a shower only,  I went back to the Atlas and perused the page of deck plans ponderously. There was no reference to ...Shower Only...

I would like to hear from suite sailors coming off the Kdam after her drydock to find out if HAL changed the bathroom to shower only!!??

I suspect the programmers may be using the same deck plans for both ships.

2 hours ago, bobpell said:

I wouldn't be a happy camper if t booked a cabin to have a tub and found AFTER final payment that there wasn't one.  It's.a room amenity that is listed and not provided.  

HAL should get those deck plans fixed ASAP.  

On 12/6/2018 at 6:32 PM, SilvertoGold said:

We loved the new walk-in shower on the Volendam.  Huge improvement over using the shower in the bathtub.   It has a footprint the size of the bathtub and is well outfitted. Excellent tempered glass door.  The rain-shower shower head doesn't work too well in this application, however, as it doesn't throw the water far enough out from the wall at the end, so you end up having to stand quite close.  Nevertheless, a big plus.

would you mind saying  what  cabin category you are discussing? Balcony? Vista? Neptune?  

I have been avoiding this ship because  I assumed there were no cabins  larger than balcony without the tub/shower combination......these old hips of mine  no longer  allow for that experience!

HAL Executive Housekeeper on the NS has said that the only Suites that have tubs are Neptune SA on the Schubert deck. I hope this helps someone in the future as I have gotten a great deal of help from CC posters including disclosing this change of the Signature Suites..   Spread the word if ya want a tub!  

7 hours ago, Nymich said:

HAL Executive Housekeeper on the NS has said that the only Suites that have tubs are Neptune SA on the Schubert deck. I hope this helps someone in the future as I have gotten a great deal of help from CC posters including disclosing this change of the Signature Suites..   Spread the word if ya want a tub!  

Thanks kindly 🙂 

12 hours ago, puli said:

would you mind saying  what  cabin category you are discussing? Balcony? Vista? Neptune?  

I have been avoiding this ship because  I assumed there were no cabins  larger than balcony without the tub/shower combination......these old hips of mine  no longer  allow for that experience!

C , oceanview

Don't know about the higher catagories, sorry.

On 12/6/2018 at 10:58 AM, Fouremco said:

Given the choice, I'd always take a shower over a tub, and I suspect that applies to the majority of passengers these days.

One of things I look forward to having in my room is the bathtub. 

Most new hotels, refurbished hotels,  new cruise ships and refurbished ships no longer have tubs.  Regardless of price point, tubs are passé.  Especially bubble tubs. The yuck factor of following other people....

For a number of years,  designers have been advising homeowners to switch tubs out for walk in showers.  New homes seldom have master suite tubs anymore but most still have a hall bath tub for little kids. But some new homes have no tubs at all.   

Consumers no longer trust that the cleaning process was thorough.  Regardless of written procedures.  Things fall through the cracks all the time.  Housekeeping is often rushed, corners may be cut.  

• Like 1