Checklist

Burtonair01

There are several check lists for 1st time cruisers here on CC.  Use the internal search feature or google to find them.  Documents, money and meds, if any, are the most important things to bring.

Many of the checklists contain non-essential items that some cruisers find comforting, but I would never bring.  I pack just one 21" bag for any length cruise in the Caribbean.  Obviously, an Alaskan  or cold weather cruise or upscale Mediterranean cruise would require more clothing.

Sometimes I see a family bringing a dozen or so suitcases and I wonder if they think they are moving permanently instead of taking a temporary vacation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burtonair01 said:

I'm just curious if anyone has created a checklist of things to get done before you cruise. I'm nervous I'm going to forget to do or bring something. If so... could you post it please.

We always use a checklist.  Ours is customized for our needs,  but here is link to start out with for a leaving home check list.

https://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads/2015/06/Leaving-for-Vacation-Checklist.pdf

Each and every time.  But I add a few more that I haven't noticed being posted on the threads.

For example.

Cut off  water.

Turn off hot water breaker .

Cut heat down to minimum tolerance.

Stop mail

Stop ice maker.

Lock all existing buildings

Summer , Cut air down

Test all security cameras

lock all windows

Setup timer on separate interior light .

• Like 1

Yes, I admit- I'm a lister too!

This is the one I use each time I cruise- I take it and create a copy for this trip so I can add/remove things that might apply to just this cruise. For example, one cruise to Cozumel my hubby & I planned a golf outing so I needed to remember to bring balls, tees, golf shoes etc... the clubs we rented but we brought everything else.

A lot of what is on this list never makes it into the suitcase (for those light packers who want me to sign up for Overpackers Anonymous!) but at least if it's on the list I'll consider it... YMMV...

General Cruising Checklist.xlsx

3 hours ago, BoDidly said:

Each and every time.  But I add a few more that I haven't noticed being posted on the threads.

For example.

Cut off  water.

Stop mail

Stop ice maker.

Summer , Cut air down

lock all windows

Of course this depends on where you live.  Up here in the frozen tundra of New York State, since we're cruising in February, we will be keeping our faucets at a very slow drip rather than shutting everything off.  Better chance to not let pipes freeze.

Not sure if you're talking about what to pack or what to do. I'm attaching a packing list I saved from somewhere years ago.

As far as some things to do:

·         when printing out cruise luggage tags at home-print two per bag. Put one on side handle and one on top and I laminated them or coat in clear packing tape.

·         I have also read some people put a note inside checked bag with their contact information in case bag gets lost. I also took a photo of each bag in case they needed to know what it looked like. I send this to my sister in case I loose my phone.

I make a list of things I need to do:

which prescriptions I need refilled before the cruise and what I'm taking

which days to do things like: manicure, pedicure, hair

print out any coupons for park and ride or my excursions

send family the name and itinerary for the ship/flight information and how to contact us

I take pictures of where we parked at the airport and put that on my calendar for the day we return

I also put on my calendar on my phone where the ship will be each day, what we are doing, and what I packed for us to wear

Split credit cards up in case one of you lose your wallet

we have pet care arranged and have info for my pets typed up that I share and leave a copy of that with the pet sitters and on my kitchen counter where the food is

I also read a great tip to make your screen saver on your phone the phone number for whoever is traveling with you in case you lose your phone.

I book so far in advance that I keep a document that I just constantly add to as I think of things.

Hope this helps!

Packing list Cruise.pdf

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ricew001 said:

Not sure if you're talking about what to pack or what to do. I'm attaching a packing list I saved from somewhere years ago.

As far as some things to do:

·         when printing out cruise luggage tags at home-print two per bag. Put one on side handle and one on top and I laminated them or coat in clear packing tape.

·         I have also read some people put a note inside checked bag with their contact information in case bag gets lost. I also took a photo of each bag in case they needed to know what it looked like. I send this to my sister in case I loose my phone.

I make a list of things I need to do:

which prescriptions I need refilled before the cruise and what I'm taking

which days to do things like: manicure, pedicure, hair

print out any coupons for park and ride or my excursions

send family the name and itinerary for the ship/flight information and how to contact us

I take pictures of where we parked at the airport and put that on my calendar for the day we return

I also put on my calendar on my phone where the ship will be each day, what we are doing, and what I packed for us to wear

Split credit cards up in case one of you lose your wallet

we have pet care arranged and have info for my pets typed up that I share and leave a copy of that with the pet sitters and on my kitchen counter where the food is

I also read a great tip to make your screen saver on your phone the phone number for whoever is traveling with you in case you lose your phone.

I book so far in advance that I keep a document that I just constantly add to as I think of things.

Hope this helps!

Packing list Cruise.pdf

brilliant!

I bought some packing cubes and started packing them months in advance and threw them up on a shelf in my closet. Every time I think of something I want to include, instead of making a mental note of it or adding it to a list, I pack it in the packing cubes. Our cruise is coming up and all I'll have to do is throw those packing cubes into a suitcase, pack a few more with the clothes I want to wear, and I'll be all set. Lots of peace of mind knowing I don't have to remember hardly anything because it's all already packed.

When I travel I print out 2 hard copies of everything including hotel reservation info, airline tickets, excursion info, cruise paperwork, trip insurance info, airport shuttle info, etc. I leave one with someone I trust back home and bring one with me. No telling when phones/technology will fail and I'll need the info.

Some things are cheaper to order in advance, like the CHEERS drink package on Carnival, so if you're interested in that, make sure you purchase in time to get the savings.

Don't forget to complete your online check in to speed things up at the port.

Call your cell phone carrier in advance to research any options or packages if you intend to be using your phone to make calls while on your cruise. Follow any instructions they have for you. If you get a wifi package on the ship, switch your phone to airplane mode, then log into the ship's wifi network. 

Make copies of your passport and credit cards and keep them in a different bag from your actual passports and credit cards just in case one bag gets lost.

Include in each bag a sheet with your name and address and phone number in case your bags get separated from you and someone has them and is trying to find you.

Go to the bank and get a wad of $1 and $5 bills for tipping and for bringing into port for shopping so you're not flashing around big bills.

Read any reviews you can find about ports/excursions you are going to and you will find a wealth of info about things you might not have thought of or never could have known, like maybe a beach is rockier instead of sandier and you need water shoes, or there are sand fleas so you should have some bug spray, etc.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The number one thing on any checklist should be bring passports or whatever documentation you are using to board the ship. Most anything else you forget you can get by without (or buy on the ship or at a port),  but if you can’t get on the ship, it will be a short vacation. 

All travel and accommodation paperwork-do not yet travel internationally somust carry approved local identification and medication are my ABSOLUTE ESSENTIALS which travel in my handbag for immediate access as required.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BoDidly said:

For example.

Cut off  water.

Stop mail

Stop ice maker.

Summer , Cut air down

lock all windows

Bingo! The only thing I can add is send a copy of your itinerary to those that matter.

I am a definite list maker. It makes me happy and helps me feel more secure. I love the satisfaction of crossing items of my list.

For years, when taking domestic trips my hubby would always lament my stress about packing. "There is always a Wal-Mart, he would say." When you cruise this is a much different scenario.

If the honeymooner (of a previous popular thread) had been a listmaker she would not have left for the port without her birth certificate. 

I have not started packing for my Feb 2019 cruise but you better believe I have started making my lists.

I am a checklist maker and a pre-packer. I have a small suitcase that I keep ”cruise” things in all the time. This suitcase only goes on cruises. A small fan, extension cord and power strip ect. just stay in there. I also have a few plastic grocery bags and various sizes of ziplock bags that can be used for holding anything. Probably needs more when my kids were smaller. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, silkhair1 said:

I am a checklist maker and a pre-packer. I have a small suitcase that I keep ”cruise” things in all the time. This suitcase only goes on cruises. A small fan, extension cord and power strip ect. just stay in there. I also have a few plastic grocery bags and various sizes of ziplock bags that can be used for holding anything. Probably needs more when my kids were smaller. 

OOOH! Ziploc bags and grocery bags! THAT'S something I HADN'T thought of, yet I will be self-catering In February 2020! Note written for the 1st shopping day after Christmas-2 new insulated bags to be bought for the cruise. Myst also check my extension cord and power strip are ready to go, and laundry pods-have a big bag I never used on my 1st cruise-I had laundry as a Suite Perk! I've kept them specifically for travelling, and I'm on the same deck as a laundromat too!

A grateful thank you for the reminder about bringing your own bags, much cheaper than having to buy them!

ziplock bags are great for wet bathing suits on the last day.

i also encourage you to keep a "during the cruise list". When we left Raleigh-Durham, it was 13 degrees. We landed in Puerto Rico and it was 92. I took off my boots and shoved them in the outside zipper part of our suitcase, which was broken so we typically never use it. I went forever looking for those boots because I didn't think to check the broken zipper area. 🤦‍♀️

On the flip side, I had packed my jewelry in a zippered compartment that was hidden. It was fancy costume jewelry. I couldn't find it once we got on the ship and was convinced it had been stolen by airport security. Another case of finding it months later after I got home. Now all jewelry goes in my purse!!!!!

17 hours ago, ricew001 said:

ziplock bags are great for wet bathing suits on the last day.

i also encourage you to keep a "during the cruise list". When we left Raleigh-Durham, it was 13 degrees. We landed in Puerto Rico and it was 92. I took off my boots and shoved them in the outside zipper part of our suitcase, which was broken so we typically never use it. I went forever looking for those boots because I didn't think to check the broken zipper area. 🤦‍♀️

On the flip side, I had packed my jewelry in a zippered compartment that was hidden. It was fancy costume jewelry. I couldn't find it once we got on the ship and was convinced it had been stolen by airport security. Another case of finding it months later after I got home. Now all jewelry goes in my purse!!!!!

EXTREMELY good points, not 1 of which I'd thought of myself! And I have a BAD HABIT of PARKING things in safe places and forgetting where I put them!

5 hours ago, crochetcruise said:

EXTREMELY good points, not 1 of which I'd thought of myself! And I have a BAD HABIT of PARKING things in safe places and forgetting where I put them!

I'm glad you liked them. I just knew everyone would think I was crazy. I''m a list maker everywhere for everything, all the time 🙂

On 12/14/2018 at 4:00 AM, kcdancerkc said:

Hubby always notifies bank card even if we travel to nearby states 

😎

This is a must do.  Some banks will block a card if there is suspicious spending on them.  For our AMEX card, we don't have to let them know if we are traveling.  For our VISA through a credit union, they even want to know what dates you are going and where you will be on each day.  The same for our ATM card through our local bank.

I am a habitual lister. I keep lists for everything, so naturally I have lists for cruising as well. These are the lists I am working with:

-Things to Do

*Online check in

*Make final payment

*Print travel documents

*Make sure passports are in order

-Things to Buy

*Batteries

*New SD cards for the cameras

(This list keeps growing, these are just.         examples)

-Things to Pack

*This one includes ANYTHING that I can think of that I could possibly need ot want and it changes frequently as each day goes by.

I also have made a sort of calendar/list of what I plan to wear each day so I don't forget to pack any clothing items. (I know, I have issues....lol)

I have a box set up in the bottom of my closet that I keep stashing things in that will need to go. Once it is in the box, it gets crossed off the list.

Other things that I have found helpful for traveling:

*A travel pill case works GREAT for storing jewelry

*I have a small cross body purse that is big enough for my ID, credit card, camera, and travel size first aid kit

*Laundry detergent pods/dryer sheets

*Pop-up hamper

And of course a written list of instructions for the pet sitter so I can rest easy knowing my fur baby is taken care of.