Funshops 18% delivery fee

RoperDK

Just ordered our customary 2 bottles of liquor with mixers from the Funshops.  They added on an 18% delivery fee which totaled over $30. When did this begin?  The bottles and mixers are way overpriced, but we enjoy a cocktail on the balcony and gave up on "smuggling" years ago.  I knew you could order a bottle on board, but there was an added gratuity, so we always pre-ordered to avoid that. Don't know that we will order from the Funshops again. It's a pain sometimes to get a drink at the bar and haul it back to the cabin. As much as we don't like the idea, then Cheers may end up being a better option for us.  Regardless, it's still a pain to bring drinks back to the cabin.  I hadn't seen any posts about the 18% delivery charge, so just wanted to let everyone know.

Dawn  

19 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Just ordered our customary 2 bottles of liquor with mixers from the Funshops.  They added on an 18% delivery fee which totaled over $30. When did this begin?  The bottles and mixers are way overpriced, but we enjoy a cocktail on the balcony and gave up on "smuggling" years ago.  I knew you could order a bottle on board, but there was an added gratuity, so we always pre-ordered to avoid that. Don't know that we will order from the Funshops again. It's a pain sometimes to get a drink at the bar and haul it back to the cabin. As much as we don't like the idea, then Cheers may end up being a better option for us.  Regardless, it's still a pain to bring drinks back to the cabin.  I hadn't seen any posts about the 18% delivery charge, so just wanted to let everyone know.

Dawn  

The 18% gratuity was announced a couple of weeks ago. Not only is it bbeing added to Fun Shop purchases but also to Cheers; Bottomless Bubbles, and any other beverage purchases if I remember correctly.

6 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

It clearly states "delivery fee" on my Funshop order.

Dawn

Now that you mention it, it seems like that is what was on my receipt for the water I ordered for the cabin- 18% delivery fee. I know I had read about the 18% being added to all the Funshop orders either here or on the other website we can't mention here. Fortunately for us, we don't order anything expensive from the Funshop.

48 minutes ago, Hillbillygram said:

Now that you mention it, it seems like that is what was on my receipt for the water I ordered for the cabin- 18% delivery fee. I know I had read about the 18% being added to all the Funshop orders either here or on the other website we can't mention here. Fortunately for us, we don't order anything expensive from the Funshop.

They put it as a 18%delivery fee so you can still tip.carnival doesn't mind double dipping especially at the steak house where gratuity is included.they will obviously work you for additional money.

1 minute ago, scpirate said:

They put it as a 18%delivery fee so you can still tip.carniv al doesn't mind double dipping especially at the steak house where gratuity is included.they will obviously work you for additional money.

True. I wonder how many people Will no longer tip now with the 18% "delivery fee" being added to their purchases?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, moongal said:

Is there an option to purchase items from the Funshops and go and pick it up yourself?  

I think that's not possible for items you order on line before your cruise.

There was a shop on the Magic and on the Breeze called Cherry on Top that sold a limited number of items that are available on-line.

I remember they had some flower arrangements, lots of candy, and toys and clothes for children.

15 minutes ago, moongal said:

Is there an option to purchase items from the Funshops and go and pick it up yourself?  

I don't think so.  During your order they ask where you want the order delivered.  My only option was my cabin.  When we have had linked cabins in the past, I could choose which one.  I assume that wine could be delivered to the dining room.

I usually tip but why would I tip when you are paying for the item and a fee for it to be delivered. The delivery fee should be used to pay the employee that deliver the item. So I'm supposed to pay for their over priced items, delivery fee and tip the person? That's ridiculous!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bingomamma19 said:

Whatever they call it....its an outrageous fee to put a bottle in your room.

Waiter brings you a bottle of wine at dinner = 18%+ completely acceptable.

Employee brings a bottle to your room = 18% unacceptable.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Waiter brings you a bottle of wine at dinner = 18%+ completely acceptable.

Employee brings a bottle to your room = 18% unacceptable.

The waiter is getting tipped because he is providing you a service -- taking your order, bringing your food..uncorking the wine..pouring the wine..coming back to check on you...etc.

A bottle just dropped off in your room is not even close to being worthy of 18%..especially when that bottle is already 4x the cost of in a store.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Just ordered our customary 2 bottles of liquor with mixers from the Funshops.  They added on an 18% delivery fee which totaled over $30. When did this begin?

January 2018

The delivery fee was 15% at the time, and it didn't apply to Cheers, Bottomless Bubbles, 12pks of water, and internet plans.  Sometime in the second half of 2018, they starting adding the 15% delivery fee to 12pks of water.  Now the delivery fee is 18%.  It still doesn't apply to Cheers, Bottomless Bubbles, and internet plans.

35 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

And don't forget since you are ordering precruise, you have to pay sales tax as well.

No tax is charged on 12pks of water, a single 1.5 L bottle of water, or an 8pk of 1.5 L bottles of water.  A 7% sales tax is charged when the water comes with a cooler and cups.  I just did a mock order to check.

1 hour ago, Bostwick girl said:

And don't forget since you are ordering precruise, you have to pay sales tax as well.

I avoided that the last summer, out of Long Beach,  by having it delivered on the first sea day, the day after boarding.

• Like 1

I have a habit of sending a gift basket and a bottle to first time cruisers I know. For Carnival I use the Fun Shop. Of course the prices are outrageous, but where else can you go? Last week I put together some packages for next month that came to a bit over $500. When I saw the bottom line with $50 tax and a $90 service charge I copied the invoice to the beards at Carnival if they thought this was reasonable. 

In the mean time I ordered my bon voyage gifts at one third the price and they will be delivered to their home. Not the same as the surprise of finding a basket in your cabin, but you have to draw a line sometimes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Moviela said:

I have a habit of sending a gift basket and a bottle to first time cruisers I know. For Carnival I use the Fun Shop. Of course the prices are outrageous, but where else can you go? Last week I put together some packages for next month that came to a bit over $500. When I saw the bottom line with $50 tax and a $90 service charge I copied the invoice to the beards at Carnival if they thought this was reasonable. 

In the mean time I ordered my bon voyage gifts at one third the price and they will be delivered to their home. Not the same as the surprise of finding a basket in your cabin, but you have to draw a line sometimes.

Any response from the beards.