Platinum dinners: Ribeyes are now $22 at Cagneys!

fstuff1

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Now that is a legit complaint you are bringing up.This stuff about I deserve better treatment or I am mad as H@LL is what ticks me off. Yes, I was shocked when we went to Cagney's and I had to pay extra for surf and turf as I had never had to do this before and we have been platinum for many yeas. I do think the extra charge should be noted somewhere, not after you order or after you get to the restaurant.  

It is noted on the coupon you used for the dinner.

image.thumb.png.87b95e88e33835fca769c39b75438a3b.png

I think that is one area that NCL needs to have a little more training or continuity from ship to ship.  On various ships I have seen it handled differently from one ship to another.  I travel solo so when I use the Platinum dinner certificate I dine alone.  Sometimes the waiter will tell you to order what you want and the next time they are very specific on what you can order.  For example on my recent Jade cruise, I was dining at LeBistro and I wanted to order the escargot and the mushroom soup with my entree.  The waiter told me that I could only have one appetizer, so I told him that I would be willing to pay for the extra one, and he told me they couldn't do that because they had to stick to what the rules were for platinum vouchers.  I didn't want to make a scene so I just accepted it, but I was surprised that they wouldn't let me order it even though I told them I was willing to pay for the extra appetizer.  That just doesn't make much sense to me, why wouldn't you want the additional revenue.  

15 minutes ago, travelnap said:

I think that is one area that NCL needs to have a little more training or continuity from ship to ship.  On various ships I have seen it handled differently from one ship to another.  I travel solo so when I use the Platinum dinner certificate I dine alone.  Sometimes the waiter will tell you to order what you want and the next time they are very specific on what you can order.  For example on my recent Jade cruise, I was dining at LeBistro and I wanted to order the escargot and the mushroom soup with my entree.  The waiter told me that I could only have one appetizer, so I told him that I would be willing to pay for the extra one, and he told me they couldn't do that because they had to stick to what the rules were for platinum vouchers.  I didn't want to make a scene so I just accepted it, but I was surprised that they wouldn't let me order it even though I told them I was willing to pay for the extra appetizer.  That just doesn't make much sense to me, why wouldn't you want the additional revenue.  

probably has to do with bookkeeping or something, who knows? We have had waiters that have bent the rules and others who have stuck with the exact policy. Isn't this the case with life period? some bend, some do not. I don't think it is anything to get terribly upset about. I am not saying your are getting upset: I am saying others do. 

5 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

probably has to do with bookkeeping or something, who knows? We have had waiters that have bent the rules and others who have stuck with the exact policy. Isn't this the case with life period? some bend, some do not. I don't think it is anything to get terribly upset about. I am not saying your are getting upset: I am saying others do. 

No, I didn't get upset at all since I was enjoying a free dinner at LeBistro.  It just seemed strange that they wouldn't want the extra revenue.  I agree with you that it does vary from ship to ship, that is why I thought maybe they needed a little better training or something so that things were more consistent from one ship to the next.  On other NCL ships that I have sailed on they have either just let you have the extra appetizer or allowed me to order it and pay for the extra appetizer.

We have often asked to 'trade' the dessert at Le Bistro for the soup so we can enjoy soup and an appetizer.  The manager has always approved this for us on Escape and then again on the Breakaway.  

I think the strange part about Cagney's is that there used to be just a couple of items that were over the $20 limit.  Now almost all entrees are over that limit.  I find it strange that when they changed the prices on so many of the menu items they didn't seem to think it through with the dinner vouchers.   Perhaps they should just give you a dinner voucher good for any restaurant and give a total price limit for that. 

14 hours ago, Rhea58 said:

Does anyone if Cagneys still has lamb chops ....and the cost?

Will be on her next month

thanks!

They were offered on the new Cagney's menu in Nov. on Breakaway.  Like the ribeye price going up, so have just about all entrees.  The lamb chops are now $23.  My guest had the porterhouse and I believe it was the same price.  One has to look pretty hard to stick to that $20 limit for the entree given the hiked prices.  

The lamb chops were as good as ever!

12 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

We have often asked to 'trade' the dessert at Le Bistro for the soup so we can enjoy soup and an appetizer.  The manager has always approved this for us on Escape and then again on the Breakaway.  

I think the strange part about Cagney's is that there used to be just a couple of items that were over the $20 limit.  Now almost all entrees are over that limit.  I find it strange that when they changed the prices on so many of the menu items they didn't seem to think it through with the dinner vouchers.   Perhaps they should just give you a dinner voucher good for any restaurant and give a total price limit for that. 

that is what we have done and our wait person still offers us dessert. 

On 1/7/2019 at 7:18 PM, ColinIllinois said:

Funny thing is that so many of the people who complain on this forum and make stupid jokes about the Nickle and Diming are the same people who are coming back to tell us about their next NCL cruise.   Seems odd,don't you think?

Not odd at all.  I've been outspoken about the poor quality food and the nickel and diming on NCL but that doesn't take away from the fact that I'm sitting on a couple Cruise Next certs and most likely will cruise NCL again.  It doesn't take away from the fact that last June's Bliss cruise was probably my best ever.  I find value in cruising and in NCL so will continue to do so until I find something better.   I will acknowledge that I have zero loyalty to NCL (or any other line) and I will always consider other lines when booking.

What I think it very odd is the devotion some people on these boards have to NCL such that they treat any comment that isn't glowingly positive as if it were some form of blasphemy.  I mean, how unrealistic is it to think that something as large and complex as a cruise is perfect?  Those people are odd, to me.

We were on the Dawn over Christmas.  Cagney's had the ribeye on the menu, but didn't have any on board.  We ate there 3 times and each time they told us the ribeye wasn't available.  We thought it was odd.  (once was our Platinum meal, twice with the SDP)   It's been my husbands go-to meal in the past.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:32 AM, Ronin23 said:

Being charged the extra is hit and miss, just got off the Jewel and was not charged the extra when using our Paltinum vouchers.

By any chance do you recall who the Hotel Director and Concierge was??  We are sailing January 30th and would really appreciate this info

Thanks

1 hour ago, Tricialy said:

We were on the Dawn over Christmas.  Cagney's had the ribeye on the menu, but didn't have any on board.  We ate there 3 times and each time they told us the ribeye wasn't available.  We thought it was odd.  (once was our Platinum meal, twice with the SDP)   It's been my husbands go-to meal in the past.

I was on the Breakaway the second week of December and the ribeye wasn't available the first time I ate there (first night), but was available the second time I ate there.  I didn't order it, as it is way too much meat for me.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:01 PM, NLH Arizona said:

I was on the Breakaway the second week of December and the ribeye wasn't available the first time I ate there (first night), but was available the second time I ate there.  I didn't order it, as it is way too much meat for me.

Odd...

Did you notice any cows on board?  Wonder where they picked up those ribeyes?  😜

On 1/9/2019 at 7:47 AM, PATRLR said:

Not odd at all.  I've been outspoken about the poor quality food and the nickel and diming on NCL but that doesn't take away from the fact that I'm sitting on a couple Cruise Next certs and most likely will cruise NCL again.  It doesn't take away from the fact that last June's Bliss cruise was probably my best ever.  I find value in cruising and in NCL so will continue to do so until I find something better.   I will acknowledge that I have zero loyalty to NCL (or any other line) and I will always consider other lines when booking.

What I think it very odd is the devotion some people on these boards have to NCL such that they treat any comment that isn't glowingly positive as if it were some form of blasphemy.  I mean, how unrealistic is it to think that something as large and complex as a cruise is perfect?  Those people are odd, to me.

We just cruised on the Getaway and the food was great. Where do you normally eat?

IMHO, the perks that are offered with the Latitudes status are a bonus, certainly not an entitlement like some (IMHO) seem to believe.

Things always change especially with a business.

If people believe the nickel and diming thinking try another cruise option.

We cruise other cruise lines too so there is no sense of entitlement on any. We love it all and what they have to offer.

I am PP on NCL and enjoy the Latitudes perks they offer.

Safe sailing all !

7 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

We just cruised on the Getaway and the food was great. Where do you normally eat?

IMHO, the perks that are offered with the Latitudes status are a bonus, certainly not an entitlement like some (IMHO) seem to believe.

Things always change especially with a business.

If people believe the nickel and diming thinking try another cruise option.

We cruise other cruise lines too so there is no sense of entitlement on any. We love it all and what they have to offer.

I am PP on NCL and enjoy the Latitudes perks they offer.

Safe sailing all !

oh so true. I always look at something like latitude perks as just that. Something we paid nothing for and should not assume we are so special. If you pay for something that is a bit different. What we get, to me, is simply a thank you gift. 

• Like 1

the fact that you get 20 dollars towards an entree, and a free appetizer amd free dessert represents a significant savings...  4 of us ate at Cagneys on the Sky in Jan 2019 at the a la carte price and with the auto gratuity added in the tab was about $165 dollars.   So even if we all had ribeyes, I'd gladly spend $8 to save more than $150...  

I just have a problem with the new a la carte prices in general...  4 of us paid roughly  $10 more per person than we would have and honestly the meal itself does not deserve 10 dollars more than the previous $30 fee...  I know its water under the bridge, but the flat fees were more of a deal.  It will mean that we probably won't be going to Teppanyaki much if at all if that is now a la carte... 

Edited by cliffd64

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:12 AM, EllieinNJ said:

Do you think they would "trade" the dessert with another appitizer in Cagneys too?  Our cruise in Feb. will be the first as platinum.

I've done it, and the waiter had NO problem whatsoever with my request.

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

oh so true. I always look at something like latitude perks as just that. Something we paid nothing for and should not assume we are so special. If you pay for something that is a bit different. What we get, to me, is simply a thank you gift. 

Latitudes perks are not something we paid nothing for. I am platinum plus and  have given NCL a great deal of money over the years. Continuing to chip away at the perks for their most loyal customers is bad practice.

39 minutes ago, cliffd64 said:

the fact that you get 20 dollars towards an entree, and a free appetizer amd free dessert represents a significant savings...  4 of us ate at Cagneys on the Sky in Jan 2019 at the a la carte price and with the auto gratuity added in the tab was about $165 dollars.   So even if we all had ribeyes, I'd gladly spend $8 to save more than $150...  

I just have a problem with the new a la carte prices in general...  4 of us paid roughly  $10 more per person than we would have and honestly the meal itself does not deserve 10 dollars more than the previous $30 fee...  I know its water under the bridge, but the flat fees were more of a deal.  It will mean that we probably won't be going to Teppanyaki much if at all if that is now a la carte... 

I’ve not heard anything about Teppenyaki going a la carte, and am not sure how that would even work.

Have I missed something?

Edited by KeithJenner

2 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

Latitudes perks are not something we paid nothing for. I am platinum plus and  have given NCL a great deal of money over the years. Continuing to chip away at the perks for their most loyal customers is bad practice.

It is still something we paid nothing for. We paid for a cruise. We could have chosen NCL or a dozen other lines; and this has nothing to do with our plat plus perks or any other perks. I used to stay at our favorite chain hotel and use points. I still do but it take twice as many points to get a comp room as it did 10 years ago. this doesn't mean I will change hotels or feel I am getting cheated. As for NCL, they change the perk policy from time to time. All I can see that has changed in the past 5 years is: only 1 bottle of wine instead of one per meal. But they also added internet minutes and a discount on shore excursions. This isn't cutting back, it is re-thinking and making adjustments. My only problem with the extra charge for some entrees is not being aware of it ahead of time. 

58 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

It is still something we paid nothing for. We paid for a cruise. We could have chosen NCL or a dozen other lines; and this has nothing to do with our plat plus perks or any other perks. I used to stay at our favorite chain hotel and use points. I still do but it take twice as many points to get a comp room as it did 10 years ago. this doesn't mean I will change hotels or feel I am getting cheated. As for NCL, they change the perk policy from time to time. All I can see that has changed in the past 5 years is: only 1 bottle of wine instead of one per meal. But they also added internet minutes and a discount on shore excursions. This isn't cutting back, it is re-thinking and making adjustments. My only problem with the extra charge for some entrees is not being aware of it ahead of time. 

I disagree. They have cut back,  I do feel nickel and dimed, and I feel that my business is less valued. As you said, we have lots of options; up until now I have chosen to stay with NCL. Now the certificate for a meal doesn't cover the meal? Keep in mind more often than not I travel solo; I am already sacrificing a dinner since they won't let me use the certificate twice. We used to get platinum rewards per member; now it's per cabin. When I travel with the family, all platinum members, we get a fraction of what we used to get. I can go on, but there's no point. We all have to think with our wallets. If I am going to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for a suite and have to cough up a few bucks for my meal, that's just cheap and does nothing to make me feel valued by NCL.