Stateroom flowers

frankc98376

We have always ordered flower arrangements for our stateroom before our cruise.  Appears that these arrangements are made by shore side florists as they are always identical and look a lot like FTD mass market arrangements.

I thought I  remembered someone saying that the choices were much better once on board.  CC friends suggested we speak to the Concierges- anyone have any experience bad or good? Is the selection and or quality better on board?

BTW- not a big fan of the search feature on the new CC software.  Appears I can't just search the HAL forum. 

The conceirge has a folder with photos of arrangements that are available.

If you wnat an arrangement different from the photos, I am sure that the conceirge would arrange a meeting with the florist for you to discuss your preference.

I have always found the on board florist  to be very helpful, even called at the stateroom one day and trimmed the stalks of the flowers and removed the saddest blooms , rearranging the remaining perfectly good blooms.

3 hours ago, frankc98376 said:

We have always ordered flower arrangements for our stateroom before our cruise.  Appears that these arrangements are made by shore side florists as they are always identical and look a lot like FTD mass market arrangements.

I thought I  remembered someone saying that the choices were much better once on board.  CC friends suggested we speak to the Concierges- anyone have any experience bad or good? Is the selection and or quality better on board?

BTW- not a big fan of the search feature on the new CC software.  Appears I can't just search the HAL forum. 

I looked at the flower photo file in the Neptune Lounge last cruise and the pictures shown were the same as the online choices. I suppose the Concierge could have the florist make up an alternate arrangement.

As to the search function, if you click on the search bubble (is that what it is?), you get a choice of where you would like to search. "This forum" is one of the choices and if you are in the HAL forum, it will only search HAL. I have attached the site you get if you click "search".

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 12.23.28 AM.png

Edited by PSR

DH has ordered flowers on board and what he got was nothing like what we see in the choices on line.  Very pretty and the arrangement lasted.  We’ve found there is more choice on board.  

On board florists have been very good on the ships we have been on.

You can arrange for a consultation with the florist. They'll typically pick a time and meet with you to discuss what you'd like to order. It's very much like talking to a florist on land, except you're not walking into the shop and you may have to wait a little bit for the appointment. I've found that you get better results this way than picking from the stock photo selections. The "book" looks just like what you'll find online. When you meet and order, you're going to get a nicer, more creative arrangement. 

I've ordered flowers at the Front Desk often over the years. A bouquet is arranged and delivered quickly, frequently before I leave for cocktails. The arrangements are lovely, and the flowers fresh. I'm happy getting them and will again on my next cruise.

When we have had an in-room bouquet, they have been very pretty and as already stated seemed to last forever.  Always thought we got great value when delivered by HAL - but this was a few years ago.  Is this something else that HAL has now farmed out?

Edited by OlsSalt

5 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

When we have had an in-room bouquet, they have been very pretty and as already stated seemed to last forever.  Always thought we got great value when delivered by HAL - but this was a few years ago.  Is this something else that HAL has now farmed out?

The flowers we ordered online before the cruise are always exactly the same from ship to ship and appeared to be "farmed out".  As I said we saw a florist delivering quite a few arrangements.

2 hours ago, frankc98376 said:

The flowers we ordered online before the cruise are always exactly the same from ship to ship and appeared to be "farmed out".  As I said we saw a florist delivering quite a few arrangements.

There was a piece on the news down here about the flower "assembly" business for the cruise industry. The arrangements are trucked in and delivered to the ships. It might be different in other parts of the country, but there are a lot of orders between Port Everglades and Port Miami.

I've ordered flowers from the florist on the ship for the past 6 cruises. Usually I order leaving it to the florist's discretion, but request a particular flower or flowers that are fragrant. I've never been unhappy, and the arrangements have been very different from any FTD arrangement. They have been extremely creative-the last one had driftwood in it! Usually the arrangement comes the same day or the next day, and lasts 10 days to 2 weeks. 

We pre ordered two relatively large arrangements for our stateroom. They were lovely but identical to several years of flowers on different ships. By the end of two weeks they were pretty much dead- I'm really surprised that the stewards didn't offer to put them out of their (and our) misery.

We normally have flowers at home and know that with fresh water, end snipping, a d a little dead-heading they are beautiful for well over two weeks. I would never expect the Stewards to maintain them- they have to much to do every day.  Would be nice if the florist could stop by mid cruise, or loan us some snips to do it ourselves.

We will definitely wait and ask the Concierge for an appointment with the on board florist.

We just got off of the NS after 14 glorious days. My hubby had flowers in the room twice. Once when we boarded in FLL and then the next week when we made the turnaround in FLL for the second week. He called guest services before we left home and they a florist in Miami arranges the flowers for both the Miami and FLL HAL ships. Both of the arrangements were lovely and they lasted longer than I anticipated. One piece of advice, we had a Vista suite (yes, really a mini suite) and the flowers took up a lot of the desk space. May I suggest a small yet elegant bouquet that would take up less space than a huge arrangement due to cabin space yet convey your thoughtful expressions at the same time! Have a great trip!

On 1/13/2019 at 12:40 PM, frankc98376 said:

We will definitely wait and ask the Concierge for an appointment with the on board florist

It really is the way to go. I've done that on past cruises and it worked out great. We were in a regular balcony room so we could be next door Michelle's father on this last cruise. Not having access to the the concierge, I ordered from the book at the front desk. The flowers were fine, but a world of difference in terms of creativity and staying power from in-person ordering. Her corsage from the second formal night, Christmas eve, was fully popped open by Christmas day afternoon. Don't get me wrong; it was lovely. It had no staying power though. 

• 1 month later...

My parents are leaving on the Oosterdam on April 13th. They are in a NS.  My birthday is the 15th, and I always send my mama flowers on this one of her birth days(she birthed FOUR times!).  If I pre order will they deliver on the 15th?  She is a flower snob.  Will she get an FTD arrangement? 😔