Breakfast

wingit

I have a question about breakfast options on HAL - Eurodam. Eggs do not agree with me and I don’t eat pork and beef.  Is smoked salmon available? Chicken or turkey sausage?  In the Lido or the restaurant would be fine.  Thank you very much for any help.  We’ve sailed on Holland before, but it’s been quite a few years - 

7 minutes ago, wingit said:

I have a question about breakfast options on HAL - Eurodam. Eggs do not agree with me and I don’t eat pork and beef.  Is smoked salmon available? Chicken or turkey sausage?  In the Lido or the restaurant would be fine.  Thank you very much for any help.  We’ve sailed on Holland before, but it’s been quite a few years - 

Lots of choices on HAL to include smoked salmon, hot cereals, miso, waffles/crepes, meusli, cheeses, turkey sausage/bacon, lunchean meats, lots of different breads/rolls, etc.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

Definitely lots of smoked salmon. My sister and I had smoked salmon for breakfast every single day on our first Alaska cruise. There is a huge choice for breakfast, although now we are older and wiser we tend to stick to what we would normally have at home!

One of my own favorite treats - the lox plate at breakfast both in the MDR and the Lido, that comes with a smattering of capers,  a sole tomato slice and onion slivers. Ready little tubs of various cream cheese spreads, an array of various fresh rolls or even bagels makes one of God's better food combinations ready for breakfast every day.

Only downside is trying to cut the triangular tomato piece into slices to pile on top of my carefully constructed  HAL breakfast concoction. And even when more are requested, there are never enough capers. 

Edited by OlsSalt

2 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

They also offer broiled salmon in the restaurant for breakfast.  It was very good.

I believe that is also in the Japanese Breakfast option - miso soup and broiled salmon - and some other things too - rice porridge?. There are an array of other international breakfast combo options in the main dining room on the menu.

Breakfasts are quite wonderful on HAL ships and many also have a crepe maker at the Lido - where I get packets of sugar and lemon slices from the coffee service station and add them to my plain buttered crepe for a classic self-made crêpe au citron.

Edited by OlsSalt

19 minutes ago, wingit said:

Looks like it will be very easy to eat exactly as I wish! Thanks for posting.

The Pan-Asian breakfast has grilled salmon which is very good.  It comes with rice and tamagoyachi which is eggs, but you can order just the grilled salmon and anything else that suits you to put together a perfect breakfast.  HAL is very good with mix and match.

Edited by SilvertoGold

International Breakfasts in the HAL Main Dining Room in the past - don't know if all of them are still offered:

International Classics 

All American Breakfast: Two jumbo eggs cooked to order, served with hash browns, hickory smoked bacon or sausage and toast.

Eggs Benedict: Toasted English muffins, layered with Canadian bacon, two poached eggs with creamy hollandaise sauce.

Eggs Royale: Toasted English muffins, smoked salmon and two poached eggs draped with creamy hollandaise sauce.

Eggs Florentine: Toasted English muffins, toped with sautéed spinach and two poached eggs draped with hollandaise sauce.

Corned Beef Hash and Eggs: Home-made corned beef hash topped with two eggs cooked to order and served with a side of toast.

Kippered Herring: Served with two scrambled eggs and smothered herring

Dutch Breakfast: The Uitsmijter, a classic open-faced sandwich with thick white bread, sliced ham, Gouda, and two eggs sunny side up.

Japanese Breakfast: Hot miso soup, steamed white rice, tamagoyaki and broiled salmon served with a cup of hot green tea.

The Full English breakfast: Two jumbo eggs scrambled, English banger sausage, English back bacon, baked beans, hash browns and grilled half tomato.

Scandinavian Breakfast: Smoked salmon and pickled herring, served with hard-boiled egg and slices of dark rye bread.

14 hours ago, Crew News said:

Are these items supposed to be available on all HAL cruises?  If so, the Veendam was missing many items last month.  They did not have waffles.  When asked, I was told, "not today."  They did not have many of the juices. I think the menu is a good example of fake news.

39 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Are these items supposed to be available on all HAL cruises?  If so, the Veendam was missing many items last month.  They did not have waffles.  When asked, I was told, "not today."  They did not have many of the juices. I think the menu is a good example of fake news.

IMO the Lido Market menu would be a "good example of fake news" only if HAL published the menu knowing that none of its ships would have certain of the listed items!!!  The Lido Market menu (and each of the other HAL menus) is clearly marked as a "sample" ("View Sample Menu") which  means the exact food items/dishes that will be served  might vary from time to time, ship to ship, cruise to cruise, etc.

Edited by avian777
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On Nieuw Statendam, as well as large trays of smoked salmon, there were containers of rollmops and herring in sour cream.  We were coming from Europe, so I don't know if that continued on.  But I had some every day.  The herring certainly wakes up the mouth!

The waffles were awful.  heavy and cakey, and no real warmed maple syrup - although someone said there was real in the MDR.

Fake News? Alternative truth you mean...

We find the HAL breakfasts absolutely sublime, especially in the Lido where there is a vast choice.

only thing lacking is the variety of fresh and exotic fruit. For that, Aida is King.

• Like 1

The menu in question is not a "sample" from the HAL website, but one found onboard HAL's ships. A menu offering the exact same fare photographed on the Oosterdam within the last couple of weeks by jb008 can be found in his trip report:

That said, I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect every ship to have every menu item available every day of every cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The menu in question is not a "sample" from the HAL website, but one found onboard HAL's ships. A menu offering the exact same fare photographed on the Oosterdam within the last couple of weeks by jb008 can be found in his trip report:

That said, I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect every ship to have every menu item available every day of every cruise. 

Then why publish any menu at all?  Why create false expectations?  People who come to cruisecritic and read that menu will get excited and expect that breakfast.  My goal is to dispel them of such dreams.  Breakfast will be what the cooks wish to serve.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

11 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Then why publish any menu at all?  Why create false expectations?  People who come to cruisecritic and read that menu will get excited and expect that breakfast.  My goal is to dispel them of such dreams.  Breakfast will be what the cooks wish to serve.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

IMO anyone who thinks no restaurant (including those on HAL ships) ever runs out of an item on its menu is kidding himself/herself!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, avian777 said:

IMO anyone who thinks no restaurant (including those on HAL ships) ever runs out of an item on its menu is kidding himself/herself!!!

ESPECIALLY on an Ocean dwelling vessel.

the executive chef can not just get some more items in the next street supermarket...

Plus, cruisecritic is not an official website of the cruiselines . Everything here is personal experiences, opinions and hearsay.

not fake news, ( there are enough websites for that) , but also not always completely correct for all sailings. Any adult should be able to realize this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3