BAIT AND SWITCH?? Cabana on COCO CAY

So, I just was on the phone with RCL.  According to RCL - they STATE have switched tour operators for the Cabanas on CoCo Cay (although they won't tell me the names of the two different tour operators so that I can confirm this). 

Thus, they did a Mass Cancel of the Cabanas and due to the terms and conditions of PRICE BEING SUBJECT TO CHANGE, I am free to book it again at the "higher price" with the new Tour operator.  Really?  For a Cabana, on their PRIVATE ISLAND STOP, they couldn't have moved us over to the new operator and "ate" the $60 difference??  What a shame.  Especially since the first CS agent told me that they cancelled everyone because they didn't sell enough.  Talk about a WOW moment for my cruise.  This was the only thing we had planned.

Seems like a Bait and Switch because I got a cabana when they were running the "sale" for it.

• Like 2

We just tried to book a cabana for our next month's cruise. Got a 'unavailable to book at this time -- check onboard' message. I just assumed that we had waited too late, and the cabanas were all booked up. But after reading this thread,  I'm not sure.:classic_unsure:

The construction has a lot of things non-operational at this time. Until everything is back up and all construction is complete there will probably be lots of stalls and changes. We had CoCo Cay stop removed from our sailing and that was one of the reasons we booked that itinerary. It is all good. The Roll Call has a great mix of people and I am looking forward to the cruise with/without Coco Cay. But we are not planning any itinerary stopping there until spring 2020. I want everything up, in good working order and all the kinks worked out before taking the family.

Here is what Royal has to say about it all:

New attractions and experiences at Perfect Day at CocoCay will open in phases, with the full completion planned for December 2019. Please find the opening dates below.

• The new pier will begin welcoming guests to the island in March 2019.
  • Thrill Waterpark, the Zip Line, Splashaway Bay aqua park, Up, Up and Away helium balloon, Captain Jack’s Galleon, Skipper’s Grill dining, Captain Jack’s dining, Chill Island, Chill Grill dining, and Oasis Lagoon freshwater pool will open in May 2019.
  • South Beach, Coco Beach Club and the overwater cabanas will open in December 2019.

We just got off (today)  from an enchantment B2B2B so three short cruises and three stops at coco cay on the past 10 days. At this point, we did not notice anything that was not operational. We were given a letter apologizing for any construction noise,  but honestly, hardly heard any noise.  Perhaps as they move further along there may be interruptions. In fact, not knowing the OP's Saul date, future interruptions was my first guess regarding the bungalow issue. 

M

Thanks everyone I am fairly new to this board and don't see a "reply" button for individual comments (Sorry)-

For additional information:

• Sailing on Enchantment on 1/18/19
  • Royal is STILL selling these Deluxe Cabanas for this cruise date and stated that they are, infact, operational
  • Royal states that they changed "tour operators" for the Cabana which allows them to cancel and then I was told that I could "rebook" with the new tour operator at the HIGHER rate

I am having a hard time with a "fixed structure on land" having a different tour operator on Royal's private Island when the servers and cooks are from the Ship.  It isn't like I am taking a bus somewhere or doing a "tour"?  this is a hut on a beach.

This makes me very sad/angry.

47 minutes ago, JDCCruiser6 said:

Thanks everyone I am fairly new to this board and don't see a "reply" button for individual comments (Sorry)-

For additional information:

• Sailing on Enchantment on 1/18/19
  • Royal is STILL selling these Deluxe Cabanas for this cruise date and stated that they are, infact, operational
  • Royal states that they changed "tour operators" for the Cabana which allows them to cancel and then I was told that I could "rebook" with the new tour operator at the HIGHER rate

I am having a hard time with a "fixed structure on land" having a different tour operator on Royal's private Island when the servers and cooks are from the Ship.  It isn't like I am taking a bus somewhere or doing a "tour"?  this is a hut on a beach.

This makes me very sad/angry.

I would have a hard time rebooking at a higher cost with that excuse. I think the cost is too high for a few hours already. I hope many just cancel and they are left unsold. I hope that anyway.

This makes me nervous for our cruise in March.  I booked a cabana in November for $243. I have not gotten notice about a new "tour operator ". How were you initially contacted about it?

Edited by maryjaden
Added a question

8 hours ago, JDCCruiser6 said:

So, I just was on the phone with RCL.  According to RCL - they STATE have switched tour operators for the Cabanas on CoCo Cay (although they won't tell me the names of the two different tour operators so that I can confirm this). 

Thus, they did a Mass Cancel of the Cabanas and due to the terms and conditions of PRICE BEING SUBJECT TO CHANGE, I am free to book it again at the "higher price" with the new Tour operator.  Really?  For a Cabana, on their PRIVATE ISLAND STOP, they couldn't have moved us over to the new operator and "ate" the $60 difference??  What a shame.  Especially since the first CS agent told me that they cancelled everyone because they didn't sell enough.  Talk about a WOW moment for my cruise.  This was the only thing we had planned.

Seems like a Bait and Switch because I got a cabana when they were running the "sale" for it.

Eample number 5,317 demonstrating cruisers are probably no ones favorite customer.  You could've cancelled for a full refund until the day before, but THIS gets your panties in a twist?

1 hour ago, maryjaden said:

This makes me nervous for our cruise in March.  I booked a cabana in November for $243. I have not gotten notice about a new "tour operator ". How were you initially contacted about it?

I got an email today for my sailing on this coming Friday.  I find it interesting if they did actually change tour operators that everyone wasn't notified at the same time.  Makes me wonder.  For reference, I booked/paid for it on October 10th.  Are you booked at COCO or Labadee because she stated "no changes" to my March cruise with a Labadee cabana.

Edited by JDCCruiser6

22 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Eample number 5,317 demonstrating cruisers are probably no ones favorite customer.  You could've cancelled for a full refund until the day before, but THIS gets your panties in a twist?

Sadly, I didn't want to cancel, I paid for this back in October to ensure I had the reservation in place.  I just find it odd that one can pay RCL for a service, only for them to cancel and offer the same exact thing to another passenger on the same day for a higher price, that's all.  If you are ok with being charged more for something that you already bought and paid for, lucky you.  I am in customer service and we would eat the cost for our error, or we would have had the new vendor accept the "booked" guests at their existing rate and this MAY have cost RCL at most, a whopping $700 for all the Cabanas in that section of the beach.  As a Multi-Billion Dollar company, I think they could have made things right.  Sorry, just my opinion.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JDCCruiser6 said:

It happens. At times shore excursions are canceled when they get new operator or same operator with new higher priced contract. Then at times cruisers have put down payment of cruise that price was listed wrong. In small print they don't have honor it. Nothing do about it, pay higher rate or don't. It's to bad but is what it is. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, JDCCruiser6 said:

I got an email today for my sailing on this coming Friday.  I find it interesting if they did actually change tour operators that everyone wasn't notified at the same time.  Makes me wonder.  For reference, I booked/paid for it on October 10th.  Are you booked at COCO or Labadee because she stated "no changes" to my March cruise with a Labadee cabana.

I am booked for Coco cay.

Edited by maryjaden
mistake

I'm wondering if the customer service representative had an actual understanding of what was going on.  Keep in mind that the vast majority of these people have never been on a cruise ship -- they're just working off scripts or whatever pricing code is showing on their computer screen.

Knowing that construction is still going on and things are getting moved around, I'm wondering (and I haven't been to Coco Cay for a few years, so no idea if this is true, it's just conjecture, so don't jump down my throat if I'm off base!) if there are different cabanas or the cabanas are being moved, etc., as part of the "improvements" to the island. 

If there are cabanas in areas A, B, and C, and the ones in area A are being removed and rebuilt elsewhere, if you had purchased an "A" cabana and it's not going to exist anymore, then that would explain the cancellation -- they can't put you in a cabana that isn't in existence anymore.  And if the only cabanas available at this time are B and C, those cabanas might be sold at a different cost (like an over-the-water is priced higher than an on-the-beach at Labadee.... location, location, location!).  Yes, it does make sense that they SHOULD contact any affected customers to offer to move to another one at no cost, but that doesn't always happen.  

I would try calling back and getting a different customer service representative and ask them if this is the case, and to honor your original price on a relocated cabana.  You can also ask to escalate the issue to a supervisor if the first person can't help you. 

But it's imperative that you remain calm and polite during these conversations -- tossing around accusations of "bait-and-switch" won't win you any friends (especially since you're using the term incorrectly), and you want these people to want to help you, not feel offended when they themselves never personally did anything to you.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JDCCruiser6 said:

Everyone loves to use the term "bait and switch."  In many, if not most, areas bait and switch is illegal.  It also denotes an intentional action by someone to cheat them.  I suspect that's why people use it regarding cruise lines.  I also seriously doubt that any cruise line is purposely trying to cheat passengers out of their money.  Royal Caribbean, as well as all major cruise lines are major corporations that are under significant regulations.  They are multi-billion dollar corporations. In 2017 Royal Caribbeans sales were $8.7 Billion.  You really believe that they purposely look for illegal ways to cheat people?  

Sure they could easily eat the $60.  And should.  And if you escalated your objection up the chain, they very likely would.  IF all the other cabanas weren't already sold.  Who knows why they did it. But it's well within their rights.  Not defending them, I've had my issues too.  And it's frustrating when a mistake is made and they won't "right" it.  We had a cruise booked where my son and I were in one cabin and my wife and DIL were in the other to take advantage of a good rate.  The rates changed and we got a discount with no restrictions.  I had purchased the drink package for my son at a discount.  We changed my wife and son's cabin for ease.  Turns out the drink package stays with the cabin.  I had to cancel and re-purchase and it was $75 more.  If they had told me that in the first place I wouldn't have switched the cabins. But I didn't ask the question. Was I angry.  Sure. Was it "bait and switch?"  NO.  Just one of those things.  Their rules so I live with them.  So please, everyone, get over "bait and switch"  If you really find a "bait and switch," sue them, they've likely broken the law.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JDCCruiser6 said:

I just find it odd that one can pay RCL for a service, only for them to cancel and offer the same exact thing to another passenger on the same day for a higher price, that's all.  

Happens quite often, it's called a full ship charter.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the input everyone - I am sure that it wasn't "intentional," and that is isn't a literal bait and switch - it is just extremely frustrating and I was using that term as a "figure of speech". 

I have never had this happen before and was just really frustrated.  

And I can't change my Title to remove the "bait and switch" (I just tried)

Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

If there are cabanas in areas A, B, and C, and the ones in area A are being removed and rebuilt elsewhere, if you had purchased an "A" cabana and it's not going to exist anymore, then that would explain the cancellation -- they can't put you in a cabana that isn't in existence anymore.  And if the only cabanas available at this time are B and C, those cabanas might be sold at a different cost (like an over-the-water is priced higher than an on-the-beach at Labadee.... location, location, location!).  Yes, it does make sense that they SHOULD contact any affected customers to offer to move to another one at no cost, but that doesn't always happen.  

There is only one area of cabanas.  And it is well away from the construction.

The beach BUNGALOWS and beach BEDS are in a different area, much closer to the construction area.

We have a Bungalow booked for 2/1, I haven't received any notification that it's been cancelled yet and I really hope that I don't.  That will mean I'll be spending hours on the phone complaining and trying to keep my blood pressure in check. This may not be an actual "bait and switch" situation but it's hard to argue that it isn't extremely poor customer service. I'm fairly new to cruising with RC but their customer service and website leave much to be desired, luckily we've had a great time on each cruise to make up for the hassles. (We've had issues with our reservation getting lost, misquoted prices on excursions from customer service and the website constantly has issues)

It is hard for me to follow this thread with the conflation of the terms bungalow and cabana.  It also may depend how late in the year your cruise will be and the construction schedule.  Just as FYI this is what is offered for our July CocoCay visit:

Waterpark Cabana and pass $699

Chill Island cabana (up to 8 people) $1349  (Yikes!!!)

Beach Bed  $149

Beach Bungalow $244 (this was available to reserve yesterday, but today has the infamous "must reserve on ship" comment)