Adapter clarification

cnjoy26

Hi! Going on my second cruise in March and just want to make sure I pack the right adapter to where our luggage won’t get confiscated . I am going with 5 first time cruisers and also want them to know the right one to bring. I thought I read that the following adapter (see picture) is okay to bring. I’m going on freedom of the seas if that make a difference. Thanks for your help! 

16B86B8A-D252-44B3-85F9-5C18D830A246.png

6 minutes ago, cnjoy26 said:

Can someone tell me what I CAN bring on then? 

I'm sorry I don't know of a make and/or model that is accepted. Others will probably help with that. I do know that if it has a surge protector in it, it will not be allowed.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

He have this one and it works just fine for us. Key is, as was said by Bob, is that it only has USB outlets so there is no surge protection. From what I have heard even if you have an power strip without surge protection those are being take also as it is too difficult to make sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-10-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00YRYS4T4/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1547494097&sr=1-3&keywords=anker+10+port+charger

This works well for USB devices. Get 6-food USB cords and you should be able to reach across the cabin.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anker-6-Port-PowerPort-Samsung/dp/B014ZQG00I/ref=asc_df_B014ZQG00I

For what it's worth, I carry the above in my carry-on, attached to one of these old-fashioned extension cords (2 prong).

https://www.target.com/p/15-indoor-extension-cord-white-woods/-/A-12880543

It's my all-in-one travel charger for all my devices. 

Edited by schlimazel_traveler

I used to have that one, two of them in fact. Never had them take them from me. I also have another one that is three pronged. Never had them take it from me either- and son just had it for a cruise he took last week. They didn't take it either. Must depend on who sees it and notices it...yet I have it plugged in on the desk and no one has ever said a word. Good luck figuring this one out.

5 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

I used to have that one, two of them in fact. Never had them take them from me. I also have another one that is three pronged. Never had them take it from me either- and son just had it for a cruise he took last week. They didn't take it either. Must depend on who sees it and notices it...yet I have it plugged in on the desk and no one has ever said a word. Good luck figuring this one out.

It is a safety issue and they can't catch them all. Not sure you last cruised but last Fall they started working harder and been catching more, multiple tables are full of cords/Adapters that they confiscated before cruise

9 minutes ago, cnjoy26 said:

I’ll mainly need something for my hair tools. 

Ah...I guess those aren't USB!

You might try this type of cord which has no surge suppression and will give you some extra distance from the mirror and the ability to plug in >1 item.

6 hours ago, schlimazel_traveler said:

Plug your hairdryer/flatiron/whatever into it, and wrap the whole cord (appliance cord plus extension) around the appliance as you normally would do with the appliance cord. Pack your hairdryer and keep your fingers crossed.

16 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

Regardless of whether or not they have been confiscated in the past, and relying on the cabin steward to "upset" their passengers by telling them something is not allowed is a vain hope, please do not use any surge protected device on a ship.  

Here is why.  Even if your surge protector is 100% fine, even if it is direct out of packaging, as soon as you plug it in, it could fail and catch fire, due to a ground fault, completely out of your control, at the other end of the ship.  Additionally, the more times a surge protector is subjected to possible reverse voltage from ship's electrical systems, the shorter it's life expectancy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Goofyfanatic said:

He have this one and it works just fine for us. Key is, as was said by Bob, is that it only has USB outlets so there is no surge protection. From what I have heard even if you have an power strip without surge protection those are being take also as it is too difficult to make sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-10-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00YRYS4T4/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1547494097&sr=1-3&keywords=anker+10+port+charger

While this is a fine choice for a multi-USB hub, the "key" is not that "it only has USB outlets", as there are, in fact, "pure" USB hubs that are surge protected.  The "key" is whether or not the device has a three-prong plug, or a two-prong plug.  Any device, whether it is a "pure" USB hub, or a device with both USB and power outlets, that only has a two-prong plug cannot be surge protected, since surge protection requires a connection to ground.  The converse of this statement, however, is not necessarily true, the mere presence of a three-prong plug does not guarantee or eliminate the possibility of surge protection in the device.

The "cube" that "tampa" linked to, while it does have a two-prong plug, so is not surge protected, is not something I would recommend, since the power outlets are not grounded (because of the two-prong plug).

For the OP, for hair care appliances, use a simple "outlet multiplier" like Alan linked as his second example.  Just know that trying to have multiple high wattage appliances plugged in at one time (I don't have enough hair left to have to worry about this, but I guess you have curlers or wands heating, while using a dryer?) will likely overload the circuit, as your circuit is shared with 3-4 other cabins, where other ladies are using similar high wattage appliances to get ready for dinner.  Popping the circuit will require a call to Guest Services, then a wait while an engineer comes to the area of your cabins and resets the breaker.  It would be better to take longer and only plug one high wattage appliance at a time into the outlets.

Boarding the Vision last week they were grabbing everything electrical- 2 prong cords, power strips, the works.   In our cabin at the desk we found 2x 110V USA outlets and 2x Euro (240V/50hz) outlets.  Most modern (lightweight switching) cell phone/tablet/laptop chargers are happy on the Euro power (read the label) so the tiny cheap Euro two round male pin to US female type adapters (bring a handful) gave us two more usable outlets.  Certain items are unhappy on the Euro power so be careful.  Many kudos to Chengkp75 for framing up the surge suppressor and fire hazard issue on board ships.  It is counter intuitive.  

Edited by ew101

3 minutes ago, Saman said:

Sailing on Seranade or seas will we need an adaptor to charge our phones with european plugs ?

Tia

Unless your charger has European plug, you will need an adapter.

Or, there are a number of USB cubes that come with interchangeable plugs. 

Here is one - https://www.amazon.com/PISEN-Adaptor-Charger-Interchangeable-Compatible/dp/B078MCHNDN

1 hour ago, Saman said:

Sailing on Seranade or seas will we need an adaptor to charge our phones with european plugs ?

Tia

I'm assuming you mean your phone charger has a Schuko type F plug (Spanish standard)?  The ship will have both 220v Schuko F and 110v US type B outlets.

I have been successfully bring on this 3 outlet power strip (no surge protection) on all my past cruises.   You can get them really cheap at those dollar store.    Put it in your carry-on in case they may want to check if it is surge protection or not,  but so far no one question me about it.

YB7G.jpg

Edited by StrikeEagle