Can I take it onboard? Oranges.

Moonlitherial

We're spending a few days in Florida in advance of our cruise and my husband wants to visit a citrus farm.  I suspect he's going to want to buy and eat large quantities of grapefruit but I don't think he'll make it through a case before it's time to board.  I can't find any rules against it but it seems like there would (should?) be.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I don’t have any experience with this, but here is my expectation.

Most countries have strict laws about IMPORTING fruits and vegetables.

Do NOT ever take fruit off the ship. That cute beagle at the pier will come and sit next to you and the nice officer will at best take it from you, and at worst show you the local jail.

Now, all of that is about taking fruit off the ship and into a country.

I am not aware of a reason why you could not take it on the ship for consumption on the ship. The ship does not have an agricultural interest to protect.

I would think you can, but have not ever tried.

The worst that can happen is you toss it at the pier, but I don’t expect that.

• Haha 1

The night before we docked in Key West they served Key Lime Pie in the MDR. I asked the RM and maitre 'd if they ever had real Key Lime Pie. When they said "no" I told them I would bring on onboard for them to sample. Security confiscated the pie when I attempted to board even though it was fully wrapped. My DW called the Maitre 'd who called the Captain, who called Security to instruct them to allow the pie through. The Maitre 'd picked up the pie and a day later there was a "sampling party".  I was surprised to learn that they didn't save a slice for the Captain because, in their words: "It was just too good" and in the end there was nothing left. With that being said, bringing fruit onboard may be a potential hazard to the health of passengers and crew.

• Haha 1

Assuming it is labelled "product of USA" or something similar I would suspect you'd be allowed to bring it on board.  Looking at your address I'm guessing your husband's plan is to consume them all since you definitely cannot bring them to Canada.  I'd search the Celebrity website to see if it's mentioned there.  If not I'd give them a call.

Ultimately, I can't imagine the cost of a weeks worth of citrus would be too much.  Worst case scenario is they confiscate it and you''re out the cost.

We had bought some nice fresh fruits at a local market, but everything was confiscated by security when going back on ship.  I tried to discuss and asked them where it was written about fruits.  Security could not point to a specific rule, except the ones about taking dairy products onboard and any food off ship.  However they won the argument as they said either board without fruits or not at all 🤣

On 1/15/2019 at 8:21 PM, Moonlitherial said:

We're spending a few days in Florida in advance of our cruise and my husband wants to visit a citrus farm.  I suspect he's going to want to buy and eat large quantities of grapefruit but I don't think he'll make it through a case before it's time to board.  I can't find any rules against it but it seems like there would (should?) be.

Anyone have any experience with this?

You should be able to bring the fruit  onboard.  However, don't even think of leaving the ship  with any.

Just ship them home., if permitted by Canada...you can specify the arrival date.

Much easier than carting them around. 

You CANNOT bring them into the US post cruise..You risk being stopped , possibly fined and they will confiscate them.. I saw  a woman being detained for an apple in her handbag...