Which specialty restaurant has the best desserts?

tomservo

Which specialty restaurant overall has the best desserts? I've heard a lot of good things about the desserts from Le Bistro and Ocean Blue. Also, what are some favorite desserts from the specialty restaurants in general, along with the MDR? It seems most of the desserts in the buffet and MDR are worth skipping, but when I'm using my SDP credits, I want to make it count. I'm going to be on the Getaway in a few months, so I'd be especially interested in hearing about those restaurants (Bistro/Cucina/Cagneys/Ocean Blue).

I second the profiteroles at Le Bistro, also the crème brulee... and the Napoleon.  ;)  Steer clear of the raspberry crème brulee at Cagney's though - major let down.  If you do Teppanyaki, I thought the fruit was way better than the cake too.  In the MDR, you can never go wrong with the chocolate lava cake!

• Like 1

I'm generally not a big fan of the desserts on NCL ships. The creme brûlée's are generally OK, but I don't usually bother with desserts otherwise.

Except for La Cucina. I love a Tiramisu, and always used to have that, but a few cruises ago I tried the cheesecake and now I can never decide which to have. It's the one place that I would consider two desserts, and have been tempted to go along there just to get a dessert.

I was shocked at how much the desserts had improved on the Breakaway in the Garden Cafe last spring. I'm hoping the Getaway has the same changes this year.  I didn't find much to enjoy on the Epic or the Gem, and I'd eat nothing but dessert if it is good. Some of the cakes actually tasted like cake and not just some jello thing.  I love the afternoon tea scones they put out at 3pm, and the cookies. The crepes are good if you can find them at night, and the hard ice cream is fine. Stay away from the soft serve, it doesn't melt! I tried to put it in a cup of coffee to brighten up the awful buffet coffee but it just sits there.  Ick!  Can't beat the seven layer cake in Cagney's (good advice to avoid that raspberry brulee).  In Le Bistro, the crème brulee is very good.  If they have the chocolate fondue, ask for ice cream instead of the fruit and cake and just pour it on. SO good!  I actually like the green tea cake and ice cream at Teppanyaki. The color is off-putting but it tastes good, not too sweet.

22 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

I was shocked at how much the desserts had improved on the Breakaway in the Garden Cafe last spring. I'm hoping the Getaway has the same changes this year.  I didn't find much to enjoy on the Epic or the Gem, and I'd eat nothing but dessert if it is good. Some of the cakes actually tasted like cake and not just some jello thing.  I love the afternoon tea scones they put out at 3pm, and the cookies. The crepes are good if you can find them at night, and the hard ice cream is fine. Stay away from the soft serve, it doesn't melt! I tried to put it in a cup of coffee to brighten up the awful buffet coffee but it just sits there.  Ick!  Can't beat the seven layer cake in Cagney's (good advice to avoid that raspberry brulee).  In Le Bistro, the crème brulee is very good.  If they have the chocolate fondue, ask for ice cream instead of the fruit and cake and just pour it on. SO good!  I actually like the green tea cake and ice cream at Teppanyaki. The color is off-putting but it tastes good, not too sweet.

Where do you get the scones from?

18 minutes ago, cloud_nine said:

Where do you get the scones from?

They put them out in the Garden Café (buffet) around 3pm. They do a whole "afternoon tea" thing. I usually eat breakfast late, skip lunch and go up there to relax with tea and a scone around 3. It is usually pretty quiet.

5 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

They put them out in the Garden Café (buffet) around 3pm. They do a whole "afternoon tea" thing. I usually eat breakfast late, skip lunch and go up there to relax with tea and a scone around 3. It is usually pretty quiet.

How close is it to real afternoon tea? Is it just Lipton and scones? Will there be clotted cream?! 🙂 

2 hours ago, tomservo said:

How close is it to real afternoon tea? Is it just Lipton and scones? Will there be clotted cream?! 🙂 

Well, it isn't tea at Fortnum's, they always have a selection of tea bags out but nothing super fancy. I don't remember clotted cream but the scones and jam were good. 

4 minutes ago, Battle Bots said:

Doesn't that all kind of depend on what desserts you personally enjoy?

I enjoy pretty much all kinds of desserts, and I like trying out new ones. I especially like French pastries and desserts. A slice of the large Kouign Amann “pie” from Pâtisserie Au Kouign Amann in Montreal might be the best thing ever.

The only kind I don’t like is anything that is way too sweet or just tastes like sugar and nothing else. 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:39 PM, Kmkub said:

Any good chocolate mousse to be found on NCL? It's the one dessert that is a must do for me, but I am often disappointed, thinking they should have called it pudding or cake.

I wouldn't recommend the orange chocolate mousse available in the dining room. The mousse part was just ok, but the orange part was cubes of orange Jell-O at the bottom of the dish!  :classic_blink: Too weird for me.

Heather

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 2:34 PM, Zippeedee said:

That’s good to hear, I’m trying to limit my sugar intake, so if I do have dessert, it better be worth the calories (to quote Prue from British Baking). Previous comments indicated that many of the desserts in the buffet were variations on Jello No Bake-type desserts. 

2 hours ago, tomservo said:

That’s good to hear, I’m trying to limit my sugar intake, so if I do have dessert, it better be worth the calories (to quote Prue from British Baking). Previous comments indicated that many of the desserts in the buffet were variations on Jello No Bake-type desserts. 

Yes, very accurate description, "variations of jello no bake desserts". They're pretty but WHY are they lacking flavor and all have a weird texture?! I usually stick with ice cream or gelato, since it's listed as an accompaniment to other desserts. I do also like the profiteroles in Bistro. 

Also, I would love if there were pictures or samples shown...very often what I order doesn't look like what I end up with. I would like to see it first to determine if it might be more jello-y than it should be.

I remember back in the day (but maybe not ncl?) they would bring around a dessert tray or cart so you can see it first.

6 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

Also, I would love if there were pictures or samples shown...very often what I order doesn't look like what I end up with. I would like to see it first to determine if it might be more jello-y than it should be.

I remember back in the day (but maybe not ncl?) they would bring around a dessert tray or cart so you can see it first.

I love that Cagney's usually has on display a sample of each of the desserts.  In the other restaurants I'm always trying to watch what desserts tables close to me are receiving!