Pricing situation question

DaveOKC

I had an interesting situation come up on a future cruise pricing and wanted to see if anyone has experienced the same type of thing and how I should approach it.

Background - we are in a Signature Suite (SS) for a 7 day Mexican cruise in April.  Our base fare is $1099 pp.  We are past final payment date.

Situation - Prices have increased for the SS to $1499 (I think mostly due to current promotion (Why Not Now) being in effect.  HOWEVER, prices on a Neptune Suite (NS) have declinde to $1599 (around $1999 when we booked).  I called my HAL PCC, but she was not able to do anything, quoting the base price I paid being so low vs the NS price (I really wonder how hard she pushed it).

Any thoughts/experience on this type of situation?

If you want to spend the extra $500 per person to be in a Neptune Suite, I would either

1.  call back to the PCC and ask her to escalate it to the supervisor

or

2.  email your PCC stating your desire to pay more and move to a Neptune, again requesting that she forward your request to a supervisor.

We had success buying-up to a Neptune from an SS, but I can't remember the precise details, just that a supervisor was involved and it was after final payment. 

22 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I am confused as to why what you paid for the SS has any bearing on being able to upsell yourself to the NS.  Other cruise lines allow this to be done after final payment.  Please keep us posted.  Best wishes.

Well, they want $500 pp to upsell to the Neptune at this point (current NS fare vs my SS fare paid).  Not a deal IMO, especially since I would not get the current promotion perks.  It just not seem fair to me, given the $100 current difference.

1 hour ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Okay, I think I understand your post now.  You were hoping to move up for the price difference of the current SS to NS.  I do see your point about also not receiving current promotions.  

I would even move up for $200 pp (or more if I could pick the cabin as right now the deal is for a NS guarantee only).

I've always thought that with an upsell, you paid the difference between what you actually paid for your original cabin and the current asking price of the one you are considering moving up to. While I understand your rationale, I'm not sure that HAL will see it that way, even if you escalate it from your PCC to a supervisor. Good luck! 

OP -- your situation is different from the one we had.  We were prepared to pay the full difference between what we paid for the SS and the NS.  I now understand why you were told it wasn't possible.

edited to add:  So just ignore what I said previously 🙂

Edited by VennDiagram
additional info

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I had an interesting situation come up on a future cruise pricing and wanted to see if anyone has experienced the same type of thing and how I should approach it.

Background - we are in a Signature Suite (SS) for a 7 day Mexican cruise in April.  Our base fare is $1099 pp.  We are past final payment date.

Situation - Prices have increased for the SS to $1499 (I think mostly due to current promotion (Why Not Now) being in effect.  HOWEVER, prices on a Neptune Suite (NS) have declinde to $1599 (around $1999 when we booked).  I called my HAL PCC, but she was not able to do anything, quoting the base price I paid being so low vs the NS price (I really wonder how hard she pushed it).

Yes..I have been in this situation several times    First  have your agent contact HAL  not you... the agent gets far more influence  than you....AND  if He is a frequent or high volume agent with them then so much the better.   

After final payment, where the price has gone down and they can not adjust it  then it has been my experience  they will offer you OBC for the difference.       

BUT.... have your agent do this, never book direct use an agent and you will get prices way better than you have dreamed...   I booked a cruise recently that was listed at  $6200  My Agent got it for me for $4500. !!!! and a healthy OBC from him !!!   

If I am understanding you correctly,  you want to pay the difference between the current price of the SS and the current price of the NS.  I have never heard of this being done.  The price difference is always based on what you actually paid.  The $500 pp to upgrade is still $400 pp less that what you would have originally paid for a NS.  

The other thing you could do is wait and see if you are contacted for an upsell.  The price could be less.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

If I am understanding you correctly,  you want to pay the difference between the current price of the SS and the current price of the NS.  I have never heard of this being done.  The price difference is always based on what you actually paid.  The $500 pp to upgrade is still $400 pp less that what you would have originally paid for a NS.  

The other thing you could do is wait and see if you are contacted for an upsell.  The price could be less.

I agree with you, but I would love to be able to lock in the Neptune now, even if it means paying a "bit" more than the upsell.

I’m surprised your PCC can’t do anything as you’re very loyal to her.  I suppose HAL is trying to get as much as possible from others first and then may do reasonable upsells if necessary.  Your PCC knows what you want and will probably make it happen if she can.  

6 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I’m surprised your PCC can’t do anything as you’re very loyal to her.  I suppose HAL is trying to get as much as possible from others first and then may do reasonable upsells if necessary.  Your PCC knows what you want and will probably make it happen if she can.  

I was thinking the same thing.  I have to wonder if things are changing a bit.   We were recently notified that our PCC went to a different department(direct reservations).  I was shocked when notified by her replacement.  We were assigned a new one, but, I am currently contemplating moving our 51 day Tales of the South Pacific to an outside TA.  The reason I was staying with PCC is that she really went to bat for us on a certain issue that resulted in a tremendous savings. 

Also, our June cruise we booked with PCC we were offered an Upsell.  We didn't accept as it was from NS to Pinnacle.  Our November cruise, we were in an obstructed OV and were not offered an upsell.  My theory was that booking directly helped in this manner.  Now, I am not sure.

Any thoughts, Dave on my recent observations?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canadianbear said:

I’m surprised your PCC can’t do anything as you’re very loyal to her.  I suppose HAL is trying to get as much as possible from others first and then may do reasonable upsells if necessary.  Your PCC knows what you want and probably make it happen if she can.  

She does "try", but so far no good results.  On my recent cruise she did get me an offer for a Vista to Neptune upsell, but it was almost $1000 pp for a 2 week cruise, so I passed on it.  I am thinking I should wait until the current promotion goes off and then try again.

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

She does "try", but so far no good results.  On my recent cruise she did get me an offer for a Vista to Neptune upsell, but it was almost $1000 pp for a 2 week cruise, so I passed on it.  I am thinking I should wait until the current promotion goes off and then try again.

At least she knows and I’m sure will phone if it comes up at a reasonable cost.  Our PCC got us an aft cabin soon as one became available (he was told grab one if it does!) I was very impressed.  They try their best I think.

7 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Travel rule 1.....  The cruise line is not your friend they are in business to make the most of every situation.

Travel rule 2...    Book with high quality agent  and they get perks and such  your over the phone agent who is just a basic worker bee    This is where agents earn their money... working for you  not the cruise line

Travel rule 3-100    see travel rule 1 and 2

31 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Travel rule 1.....  The cruise line is not your friend they are in business to make the most of every situation.

Travel rule 2...    Book with high quality agent  and they get perks and such  your over the phone agent who is just a basic worker bee    This is where agents earn their money... working for you  not the cruise line

Travel rule 3-100    see travel rule 1 and 2

I’m not sure why you’re pushing TA’s so much.  Most of us on here are well aware of what we like and whom we choose to book through.  I vary depending on what I want and the perks.

And personally when I chose to book with my PCC he grabbed the aft cabin before it even hit regular inventory.  So please, stop preaching.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I’m not sure why you’re pushing TA’s so much.  Most of us on here are well aware of what we like and whom we choose to book through.  I vary depending on what I want and the perks.

And personally when I chose to book with my PCC he grabbed the aft cabin before it even hit regular inventory.  So please, stop preaching.

In addition, whatever magic a TA can do, can be done after the cruise is transferred just as easily. My PCC gets me a good deal, then I transfer it to a TA. The TA has gotten me price reductions and other perks after transfer without any problems.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, richwmn said:

In addition, whatever magic a TA can do, can be done after the cruise is transferred just as easily. My PCC gets me a good deal, then I transfer it to a TA. The TA has gotten me price reductions and other perks after transfer without any problems.

Forgive me.....It hurts to see many still believing that the cruise line, ANY cruise line is going to give them a a good deal....  I am off my soap box.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Forgive me.....It hurts to see many still believing that the cruise line, ANY cruise line is going to give them a a good deal....  I am off my soap box.

It post #33 of the thread "Transfer to a TA/Wow!" you replied to Cruising-Along

Its all clear now  , we are each getting about the same. net/net 9-10% is the going rate for reliable long tern customers.   

Since they and I use the same procedure to book cruises, the same applies to me.

My PCC does check to see what the best price she can give me is and sets me up with the options I desire. Until I transfer the cruise, which she encourages, she is extremely good about re-faring my cruise if a better option comes up. Most of the time when I transfer a cruise, the receiving agent tells me that they can't give me any better fare, but they are more than happy to apply whatever "perks" or OBC their agency offers. Sometimes, the TA can give me a better price, so I get that advantage of the TA as well.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:30 AM, DaveOKC said:

Dave,

Had a similar situation back in November where I got a great deal on an SS.   I ended up staying there as I didn't see the value in going to the Neptune.   The way I see it you got a good rate and even if you don't upgrade you did well.

• Like 1