Why rush to board?

6 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

And as far as not tipping porters, its a tipped position. You tip because its the right thing to do. And you have no idea what their salary is in Florida. The unions are not  like up north. They are not full time. But using your theory that they make 100k, I made 95K waiting tables at Disney. Guess I should not have been tipped bc I made too much. How ridiculous. :classic_dry:

Do a bit of searching.  The unions for longshoremen are powerful all over.  There is a difference between West Coast and East/Gulf, but other than that, the pay is similar in those areas.

There are threads here on CC, and you can just Google it.

Also confirmed by Chengkp75.

And how is it a tipped position?  Tipped positions in the US are ones that are allowed lower minimum wage due to income from tips.  Longshoremen are NOT tipped in their jobs.

And what are you tipping for?  They toss your bags in a cart.  And then roll the cart to the ship.  It is the CREW that unloads and delivers the bags to your cabin.  This is work I would tip for, but never see them.

Nope.  Due to the tips that people throw, the "real" longshoremen would not allow that. [emoji1]

But according to Chengkp75, they are senior longshoremen.
They're definitely making more than this cruiser then. I'll have to rethink that urge to tip them next time we take one. Lol

12 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

tip more than $0.50...per bag...in US funds?

for us Canadians, we may have to take out a 2nd mortgage to afford to tip those porters!

Shocked free icon

Just how many bags do you bring?  I know it was just a joke but consider the cost/expense of bringing those bags on an airplane these days. Unless flying First, many airlines now charge for a checked bag. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

On 2/4/2019 at 8:01 AM, Trex827 said:

I'm on the side of arriving early. Will be sailing out of Miami Terminal A on AOS in March. Will be on the ship as early as possible.

My question. When do the Porters start to work? Just curious as to how early you can show up and hand over your bags?

I enjoy hanging around the terminal and watching all the commotion.

I always tip the porters. Just the right thing to do. Not because I expect extra special handling. They are long shoremen and do us a great service despite dealing with some tough self important big shot platnium, suite, diamond customers who think they deserve special service because of who they are.

Not everyone..... Just a few. We've all seen them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pinnacle, Suite and Diamond guest don't own the market on being tough, self important guest. As far as who they are, they are people who have and are paying for an enhanced cruise experience, and yes we book suites. I have seen guest who are not classified in these categories you have described that have acted with the same disregard. I understand you didn't say all guest , but if you are going to call out one group then don't forget to call out people in general which is all that had to be said to begin with.

Have a nice day.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 11:48 AM, FrankNBrew said:

We check out of our hotel in Houston the morning of the 10th. Then a 45 minute ride to Texas City to drop off the rental car. And another 15 minute Uber/taxi to the port. Are there any reasons we would want to rush to board at 11:00? If we can't get into the room until 1:00 why would we want to be on board any sooner? We're supposed to be on board by 3:00. Are there any potential issues with waiting until 2:30?  I'm simply looking for opinions to plan our morning. Thanks.

We like to board after 1pm when we can just walk right on.  Don't understand why ppl want to wait, wait, wait with the masses

On 2/1/2019 at 7:32 AM, SargassoPirate said:

I'd be willing to bet those same folks self-disembark and are the ones lined up at 6:30 AM.

I'd be willing to bet you haven't gone on a cruise if you think staying on later on day of disembarkation is enjoyable.

Edited by Moltar

1 hour ago, sas80 said:

We like to board after 1pm when we can just walk right on.  Don't understand why ppl want to wait, wait, wait with the masses

This seems to be a generalized issue on these boards and elsewhere... people don't understand other's points of view and also seem to have little interest in learning.... and that is not directed at you personally. Others have already explained why they want to get to the port early even if it involves some waiting around.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Moltar said:

I'd be willing to bet you haven't gone on a cruise if you think staying on later on day of disembarkation is enjoyable.

Quite true.  My friend needed to take the last number to be called when departing from her last cruise...not because she wanted to, but because my husband could not pick her up earlier to come to our house for a few days.  She felt that sitting inside the ship waiting in a lounge was better than standing outside waiting for him.  In that specific situation it worked out fine....but otherwise....you don't get to 'do anything' on that last morning so....getting off so that the ship can be readied for the next cruisers, is what it is.

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

This seems to be a generalized issue on these boards and elsewhere... people don't understand other's points of view and also seem to have little interest in learning.... and that is not directed at you personally.

I understand what your are trying to say.  When I comment, I am only typing my own POV.

I also understand that ppl have a desire to get on the ship early, that others have anxiety that wont stop till they re firmly onboard, that others ae so chill that they assume they will make it to the ship on time, but refuse to sweat about it.

To each his own (posting style, likes, dislikes, etc)

I've posted enough on the internet not to take things personally, even if someone out rightly disagrees with me. Everyone is different

Edited by sas80

10 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

And as far as not tipping porters, its a tipped position. You tip because its the right thing to do. And you have no idea what their salary is in Florida. The unions are not  like up north. They are not full time. But using your theory that they make 100k, I made 95K waiting tables at Disney. Guess I should not have been tipped bc I made too much. How ridiculous. :classic_dry:

I have no problem tipping where it is DESERVED.  All the porters do is take you bag and put it in a cart that is right beside them.  In the past, I have even put my own bag in the cart when I did not see a porter around and got yelled at by the porter for doing his job - he still put out his hand for a tip after I put the baggage on the cart myself.  It would be like asking a hosted in a restaurant for a menu when she was walking by with a stack of them - I would not give her a tip just for passing me a menu they happen to have in their hand when walking by my table.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

And what are you tipping for?  They toss your bags in a cart.  And then roll the cart to the ship.  It is the CREW that unloads and delivers the bags to your cabin.  This is work I would tip for, but never see them.

I agree 100%.  I would be happy to tip the people who actually do the hard job - lugging everyone's heavy suitcase on the ship, sorting them, taking them up the elevators, and finally to the cabins - but those mythical creatures who do all the hard work are rarely seen doing this because they are in the bowels of the ship working their butts off while we enjoy our vacation.

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Just how many bags do you bring?  I know it was just a joke but consider the cost/expense of bringing those bags on an airplane these days. Unless flying First, many airlines now charge for a checked bag. 

I am way ahead of you my friend.  Our family of 6 would cost a fortune.  Each of the kids want their own suitcase anyways.  We realized we always over-packed in the past and the airlines have done me a favour making me realize this when they started charging baggage handling fees.  Each of the 6 of us now take a carry-on suitcase for  themselves and a personal bag.  Each of us is responsible for toting around our own luggage at the airport ourselves.  We do not check anything.  Only when we arrive EARLY to check in at the ship around 11 am, do we pass our bags (6-10 of them) over to the porter standing on the curb to lift the 2 feet into the cart.

One year we went on Spirit Airlines (where they actually charge MORE for a small carry-on bag than a suitcase), so we stuffed all 6 peoples clothing into one large suitcase, paid to check it, and then loaded our personal items with our heavier items (shoes, etc.) which would have put the suitcase over weight.  Ah, the life of being a frugal dad....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BillOh said:

I like to board ASAP, start my vacation. I just wandered by this thread and wondered how it got to 185 posts. Tipping?

Nope, tipping is a very small side track of this thread. But it might give the thread the spark it needs to keep it going now.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sas80 said:

Late cruise, we arrived at the port around 11AM.  Walked in, checked in, boarded, done

12 minutes ago, SRF said:

Late cruise, we arrived at the port around 11AM.  Walked in, checked in, boarded, done

We arrived late due to rain.  Arrived at 1pm.  The zoo was over and we breezed right on.  We decided to always do a late arrival/not stress about getting there early from now on

• Like 2

I normally love being on board early so that I could tour the whole ship and take photos (for my reviews) with barely anyone around. On my last cruise on Allure with UDP, we were on board in the new Miami terminal within 15min of dropping luggage off... was up at Giovanni's at 12pm booking my week's dining (with zero line-up)... Park Cafe was packed with people looking for seating wherever they could... I could only imagine the WJ. With our UDP we went over to Sabor for lunch. Busy? Crowded? Frustrating? We were the only table there the entire 1 hour 15min we dined. PERFECT! 1:30pm we went up to our cabin and our luggage was there. So much for The Key and sitting in Chops crammed in with 100 other guests all waiting for fillets (oops!... that's for another thread 😈)

IMG_8690.JPG

IMG_8693.JPG

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, anzore said:

or standing up the minute it lands...

This always makes me laugh.  Like we are all instantly going to get off the plane as soon as the seatbelt light is turned off.  It’s like a Pavlovian response LOL.

What irks me are are the people who don’t understand how to orderly deplane.  There are always those few that need to ram their way up the isle even though rows ahead of them haven’t cleared out.

If you are late for a connecting flight say so and most people will help, but if not, don’t think you don’t have to wait like everyone else.

This is whole plane thing could easily be turned into a great Saturday Night Live skit.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

Interesting topic.     To each his own really.    For our gang, we board as early as they let us....GET THIS PARTY STARTED" is our view.   1st drink is always at 11:30 at the Solarium Bar, followed by lunch (somewhere other than the Windjammer).     I don't know if its luck or not, but on the last three cruises, when rooms opened at 1PM, our bags were there waiting for us.

So we are in the get on as soon as possible camp.

27 minutes ago, anzore said:

I.am amazed at how you just spent a week or more relaxing at sea and it's rush rush the minute the ship docks. Crazy

I'm not amazed or surprised. I've read a lot of posts on the different forums that some cruisers book very early flights and now have to rush off the ship to try and make that flight. When the cruise is over we are ready to get off and do so when our number is called. No need to drag our feet and stay on either. 

Edited by davekathy

17 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

This always makes me laugh.  Like we are all instantly going to get off the plane as soon as the seatbelt light is turned off.  It’s like a Pavlovian response LOL.

What irks me are are the people who don’t understand how to orderly deplane.  There are always those few that need to ram their way up the isle even though rows ahead of them haven’t cleared out.

If you are late for a connecting flight say so and most people will help, but if not, don’t think you don’t have to wait like everyone else.

This is whole plane thing could easily be turned into a great Saturday Night Live skit.

Dan

It's things like this that prompted me to post the question. I was wondering if it was these same folks rushing onto the ship, only to wait in lines once on board (like the airport tunnel), or if there was any advantage to early boarding. 

I always check a bag on Delta (first bag free with Delta AMEX). I never rush to sit in a cramped seat, nor do I leap from my seat upon landing, only to hurry and wait for my bag. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

It's things like this that prompted me to post the question. I was wondering if it was these same folks rushing onto the ship, only to wait in lines once on board (like the airport tunnel), or if there was any advantage to early boarding. 

I always check a bag on Delta (first bag free with Delta AMEX). I never rush to sit in a cramped seat, nor do I leap from my seat upon landing, only to hurry and wait for my bag. 

We always book an early afternoon flight home.    Nice breakfast on the last day.   Stroll casually off the ship when ready.   And no rush to get to the airport.  We are going to try the advanced bag check this time, where they take your bags from your cabin and send them directly to the airport and plane.   Only have to worry about carry on stuff.    Hopefully that will make it even easier.

And as for embarkation, we don't feel like we are rushing when we arrive early.   Always in town the day before (this year will be a fun evening in Little Havana on cruise-eve).   Then a light breakfast in the morning and an UBER to the ship.   If we get to the ship by 11, we've never had much of a wait.   Even last year on Harmony out of Port Lauderdale, we were on the ship 20 minutes after arriving at the terminal.   So we consider it a way to make things easier.   Hopefully things are super smooth at the new Miami terminal in 11 days.

Edited by zdad59

We are normally part of the "early to arrive" camp as well.  I was interested in this thread, as I was thinking that on this next cruise, do we really need to rush?  No, we don't really.  However we have three separate reservations of people (8 people in total, and with two of the reservations books under the US/Canadian rules, and one under the UK rules), all with 4 night dining packages that we need to coordinate, so we will probably go early this time, and spend an hour trying to get that sorted out.  Due to the different country rules, when we've tried to coordinate over the phone, they have not been able to do it.  So,  I'd rather get that done and over with. 

3 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Dan

I'm glad you are amused by passengers wanting to stand up after sitting for 4 hours.

• Like 1