Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

I agree Obsi...nearly everything is about the money & is not based on their marketing spin that the majority of their passengers wanted them removed.  

They used the same excuse last year when making the dining room open at 4:30.  In my opinion they need better marketing research because neither of these changes will improve my cruise experience.  While CC is a small percentage of all passengers it seems to more accurately reflect the desires of the majority of their passengers than their research groups & by the bean counters.

18 hours ago, geocruiser said:

For me no matter what the price of a cruise is there should be two chairs in a cabin.  A cruise is all about comfort, relaxation.  What is next, only one chair on the balcony?  Talk about a small space, The new class ship balcony's are tiny.  So, Princess only want to make space inside the cabin, while the balcony has no space!   And then there is the bathroom.  What about space in there too!  Get my drift. 

They could remove the only seat there.

13 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

One can clearly improve their lot when either flying or cruising. 

The analogy to consider is that by spending more money one can buy more comfort....

But there’s the difference. You don’t have to spend nore money to buy more comfort; you just have to cruise on one of the many main stream cruise lines that have at the very least, a second chair, or as most do, a couch or love seat at generally the same cost.

• Like 4

On 2/24/2019 at 10:06 AM, deliver42 said:

What's next. Folding cots in the rooms to replace the beds because they take up too much space?Of course. if you pay for a suite, we'll give you back the bed.

Not too far from the truth.  Check out the balcony cabins on the new Virgin Voyage's Scarlett

IMG-CAB-dania-sea-terrace-cabin-interior

At night the "sofa" pivots to create the bed as shown below.

ANM-CAB-transformation-v1-01-800x533.gif

But there's still a chair! 

RDR-CAB-sea-view-cabin-day-v4-04-1600x90

And yes, if you pay for a suite you still get a real bed. Can't say I'm a fan of minimalism.

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 1

Just finished reading through this long and colorful thread. I am left thinking "WTH, Princess?????"

From early cruising days (1970s) my family were Princess cruisers and I largely stayed with them up until ten years ago when I could no longer deny that it was not the same line I had known. For me it was the crowding and lines (of the larger ships) and the miserable beds at that time which had me looking elsewhere despite years of loyalty.

Ten years down the line and I have to say I haven't missed Princess. I did come back and try Regal Princess just to see if the "new gen" ships would wow me all over again. (They didn't.)

There are a lot of other choices out there. I have sailed with Celebrity and HAL as well as with some smaller, specialty lines.  Unlike a few other posters on this thread, I still enjoy cruising. I do take land vacations as well, but those tend to be city breaks or intensive touring, not resorts. I don't want to give up the wonderful feeling of being on the water -- and I don't have to.  I really do recommend trying other lines -- lines that will actually let you SIT COMFORTABLY in your cabin. Lines that meet your needs, instead of forcing you to accommodate yourself to their whims.

I can't believe they say this change is "for safety" -- what is "safe" about perching on a bed, trying to eat from a tray in rough seas?  What is "safe" about older passengers with back or mobility issues have no place to sit where they can safely get up and sit down using the arms of the chair? What is safe about an elderly person (e.g., thinking of my octogenarian parents) dragging a chair in and out from the balcony to the cabin in order to have a place to sit??

What's really odd to me is that it's so easy to compare and see that most other "similar class" cruise lines offer ships that have not just a chair but a small couch or loveseat in cabin. I'm very sure that it won't be long before travel agents are advising customers not to book Princess "if they want to sit in their cabin for any length of time"!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can't believe they say this change is "for safety" -- what is "safe" about perching on a bed, trying to eat from a tray in rough seas?  What is "safe" about older passengers with back or mobility issues have no place to sit where they can safely get up and sit down using the arms of the chair? What is safe about an elderly person (e.g., thinking of my octogenarian parents) dragging a chair in and out from the balcony to the cabin in order to have a place to sit??

Actually that is a good point.  Someone should pointedly ask Princess what would happen if a passenger injured their back moving seating from the balcony because the inside chair has been removed.....

6 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

People should report back any luck gretting a chair from the room Steward once on board. I will be on the Grans March 20 and will definetly ask for a chair or go find one. Will let you know.

I did report back. I’m on the Royal right now for 49 days. No chair no matter who you ask. Trust me, I have asked everyone that could honor my request. 

Cheers, Denise

Are you in a balcony? If so maybe you could bring a chair in. I have two cruises booked outside part obstructed but probably wont do that again with no chair. Balcony or I wont go or other cruise line if price too high. July Iceland trip I got a room for $2800 pp. Balcony was over 5K. Cant do that.

Edited by oskidunker

Travelchair Joey Chair, Portable Camping Chair, Super Compact Storage

3.9 out of 5 stars    25 customer reviews  AMAZON.. This might be the answer

Was: $60.73 
Price: $55.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $4.74 (8%)

Color: Black

23 hours ago, bemis12 said:

That's just silliness.  Older cruiser are the primary cruisers.  That generally have both more means and more time.

Agree completely....wrote an email to Princess late last week to see if they could confirm that furniture is being removed from their ship staterooms.

Received a call today from their corporate office and the CSR confirmed that they are indeed removing the chair and table from standard and balcony cabins to "create more living space" for their passengers on their ships fleet wide.  

I told her that I thought that reason rang hollow because there will only be one small chair in a balcony cabin now and it creates less living options for passengers.  

I also told her that it would seem that they could put a less substantial chair in the room with arms so that people who need assistance sitting in a chair when dressing could easily get up.

She did say that they are tracking emails, letters and calls about this new policy and they are being forwarded up the Princess corporate chain.

We have been long time Princess cruisers but I indicated to her that when we book a cruise now we will be forced to look at other cruise lines to see what type of comfort our money will buy us.  We do not want to do that but we will if there is only one chair in a balcony or premium balcony room,  😞

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Agree completely....wrote an email to Princess late last week to see if they could confirm that furniture is being removed from their ship staterooms.

Received a call today from their corporate office and the CSR confirmed that they are indeed removing the chair and table from standard and balcony cabins to "create more living space" for their passengers on their ships fleet wide.  

I told her that I thought that reason rang hollow because there will only be one small chair in a balcony cabin now and it creates less living options for passengers.  

I also told her that it would seem that they could put a less substantial chair in the room with arms so that people who need assistance sitting in a chair when dressing could easily get up.

She did say that they are tracking emails, letters and calls about this new policy and they are being forwarded up the Princess corporate chain.

We have been long time Princess cruisers but I indicated to her that when we book a cruise now we will be forced to look at other cruise lines to see what type of comfort our money will buy us.  We do not want to do that but we will if there is only one chair in a balcony or premium balcony room,  😞

Hi Like you I have emailed and am waiting on a response. On the Sapphire from March 10 for 27 days so want a chair if there is one available. I am not young but not old and have had knee replacements so a chair with arms is more comfortable than just the bed.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:21 PM, TriumphGuy said:

Never even considered room service because no place to sit other than the balcony. We did still have the table though, just no chair. Crown February 5-15, 2019.

I am cruising in 4 days and am not looking forward to this trip. The lack of concern that Princess has shown for both my safety and comfort is unacceptable. Unfortunately this lack of chair became known after final payment. I have several cruises booked after this one but have ample time to cancel and book with a competitor.

• Like 3

I received my call today.  The lady was very nice, but of course no help in getting a chair.  I told her that I love Princess, but have lots of cruises on other lines too.  And they offer me and my DH a place to sit in the cabin.

I did ask her to ask Jan, if she sits on the edge of her bed to eat dinner or to sit for a while, or would she like her parents to have to do that on a cruise ship..

I also stated that I will not go for a higher price cabin to get a place to sit.  And that Princess is pushing me away from cruising on them.  I told her that I feel like because I have a back disability I am being pushes aside by Princess.

I also told her that Princess wants me to come back new.  Well, my back will not come back new.

I don't mind if the chair is not there IF I CAN ASK FOR ONE, AND GET ONE.  But this is not the case.

My money is good on other lines too. I would even pay more on upscale line.  But, not on Princess.

This whole thing is just DUMB!!!!!!!!

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Obsi said:
  4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

People should report back any luck gretting a chair from the room Steward once on board. I will be on the Grans March 20 and will definetly ask for a chair or go find one. Will let you know.

We were aboard the Grand for the Holiday Cruise in December. Our Caribe Deck balcony cabin had no barrel chair when we boarded, but our excellent steward found one for us when we requested it.  I fear, though, that during the drydock in March they will off-load  any that were left on board. 

If so, we will not be happy campers on our next cruise! I completely agree with all of you who find it absurd that a cabin occupied by 2 guests would not have adequate (indoor) seating for both passengers other than the bed! Like many of you, my back is not comfortable "lounging" on a bed, and arms on a chair help keep me safe when moving in and out of a chair in heavy seas.

What are they thinking? First they completely confuse the MDR dining times, then they make the cabins less than comfortable to enjoy.  If they are trying to keep us from relaxing in our cabins, are they going to add more seating in the Atrium and other areas around the ship so one can actually find a seat? 

Yes, I will e-mail headquarters.  So sad that it is even necessary!

11 minutes ago, knippsel said:

We were aboard the Grand for the Holiday Cruise in December. Our Caribe Deck balcony cabin had no barrel chair when we boarded, but our excellent steward found one for us when we requested it.  I fear, though, that during the drydock in March they will off-load  any that were left on board. 

If so, we will not be happy campers on our next cruise! I completely agree with all of you who find it absurd that a cabin occupied by 2 guests would not have adequate (indoor) seating for both passengers other than the bed! Like many of you, my back is not comfortable "lounging" on a bed, and arms on a chair help keep me safe when moving in and out of a chair in heavy seas.

What are they thinking? First they completely confuse the MDR dining times, then they make the cabins less than comfortable to enjoy.  If they are trying to keep us from relaxing in our cabins, are they going to add more seating in the Atrium and other areas around the ship so one can actually find a seat? 

Yes, I will e-mail headquarters.  So sad that it is even necessary!

The only thing with sitting in the Atrium, is that you can't sit in your PJ's. And then there is a noise level too at times.

This whole chair thing is crazy.  It is really upsetting, you go on vacation and don't have a chair to sit on!!!  Would you invite a quest to your home and make them stand? 

I feel really bad about this.  Princess WAS my favorite cruise line.

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 3

We sailed on the Grand in November and there was no chair in our cabin except for the desk chair.  We had and obstructed view on Emerald deck.  Didn't ask the steward, thought it may have been out for repair.  Guess not.  The small table was still there. I also have a bad back and sitting/laying on the bed is not good.  We did spend a lot of time up on deck but it did not lead to us spending more money.  

New to CC not to cruising.

On 2/24/2019 at 3:21 PM, Obsi said:

But I assume/hope nobody thought about the issue of people not being able to sit on beds comfortably.  If they did consider that and still decided to remove the chairs, then I think that's disgraceful.

Most of these decisions are almost certainly made by young people who have no concept of what it means to have a bad back. They are still in the "invincible" stage of life. Younger people have no clue about the issues faced by older people. It's always been that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Obsi said:

Actually that is a good point.  Someone should pointedly ask Princess what would happen if a passenger injured their back moving seating from the balcony because the inside chair has been removed.....

Easy to answer. they would simply remove all of the balcony chairs as well. Problem solved! :classic_blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just received the Cruise Atlas, er, I mean, destination collect today. It shows a barrel chair in the balcony (and other) cabins.  Unless you read the fine print, it sounds like false advertising to me.  

By the way, I had to request the brochure.  They no longer send it out automatically to use lowly Ruby Captain's Circle members.  (This is our last cruise at Ruby level; if we go on another cruise after December then we will be Platinum)

If there's no 2nd chair then I will ask the steward for one.  Neither my wife or I want to sit on the bed to eat in our room.

I have just sent my email to Ms Swartz. I am not happy. I pay for single in a room and have a very bad back and use that chair in the evenings in my cabin to relax. I don't post much but watch the boards every day. I look forward to my cruises but am limited as to how much I can do. I can't sit on a bed and the other chair at the desk is uncomfortable for any length of time. I feel for everyone who has posted against this. I only hope that Princess will rethink this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, damiross said:

I just received the Cruise Atlas, er, I mean, destination collect today. It shows a barrel chair in the balcony (and other) cabins.  Unless you read the fine print, it sounds like false advertising to me.  

By the way, I had to request the brochure.  They no longer send it out automatically to use lowly Ruby Captain's Circle members.  (This is our last cruise at Ruby level; if we go on another cruise after December then we will be Platinum)

If there's no 2nd chair then I will ask the steward for one.  Neither my wife or I want to sit on the bed to eat in our room.

The extra bad news is just because you ask for one does mot mean you will get a chair.

That is what I was told today.  so, I guess more PAX want chairs then they have!!  Isn't that telling Princess something!