New x-ray technology - Carnival

jamesgjr

25 minutes ago, MRSG29 said:

For me, The CHEERS package is just to overpriced imo as well as the bottles you can purchase for your cabins. Over $800 for two people on a 7 Day. Lol thats half the price of the total cruise with a balcony. And the bottles are about $40-$50 overpriced. I don't knock anyone who buys either, just not for me.

I feel the same about Cheers. But, for us a $75 bottle of Gin makes sense. I mean yes its more expensive than home, but its still WAY less expensive than purchasing the equivalent number of cocktails at the bar. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

I feel the same about Cheers. But, for us a $75 bottle of Gin makes sense. I mean yes its more expensive than home, but its still WAY less expensive than purchasing the equivalent number of cocktails at the bar. 

Where do you get a 75 dollar bottle of gin? Cheapest I saw was 85 dollars plus delivery fee making it 100 dollars for something that should be about 15 dollars.

• Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, MRSG29 said:

Still curious about these new x ray machines and their detection capabilities.

It isn't so much about the "types" of items detected, it is more about the view.  Rum Runners are very easily seen.  Trust me, I ran one through full and empty.  Full, it glows.  It doesn't really matter what liquid is inside.  However, what the item looks like is based upon how it is oriented in relation to the x-ray beam.  A 3D just helps you see what an object looks like as if you could pick it up and turn it around.  I can run a gun through in certain orientations and it will only show a rectangle.  In other words, look down on a gun from the top.  All you really see from the top is the top of the slide.  You can't see "through" to what else is under that slide like the frame and other components.  Having 3D capability just allows the operator to manipulate the image of the object so you can see the silhouette from different views as if you were turning it in your hand.

To the other poster who saw the screen...yes there are colors on the screen.  Each color indicates a different class of material present.  I can tell you the orange or "reddish" image on the screen could have prompted additional inspection based upon other things present.  A Rum Runner does glow orange in a machine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Coming to a Carnival ship near you soon: Any containers with liquids must be in your carry-ons for inspection.

probably not going to happen as that is exact opposite of what the airlines require. The only reason my wife checks a bag is her plethora of cosmetics. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Coming to a Carnival ship near you soon: Any containers with liquids must be in your carry-ons for inspection.

probably not going to happen as that is exact opposite of what the airlines require. The only reason my wife checks a bag is her plethora of cosmetics. 

3 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Where do you get a 75 dollar bottle of gin? Cheapest I saw was 85 dollars plus delivery fee making it 100 dollars for something that should be about 15 dollars.

It’s kinda like buying popcorn and a drink  at the movies.  It’s not cheap but ima buy it anyways however I’m gonna snuggle in candy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, pvtpyle said:

Then I start bringing it on at ports. Doing this will just make me not want to buy any alcohol on the ships, or I will just move on from Carnival. I have been on 17 Carnival cruises now but have no problem going somewhere else.  

What if the somewhere else has rules you have to follow? When will it end????

4 hours ago, MRSG29 said:

For me, The CHEERS package is just to overpriced imo as well as the bottles you can purchase for your cabins. Over $800 for two people on a 7 Day. Lol thats half the price of the total cruise with a balcony. And the bottles are about $40-$50 overpriced. I don't knock anyone who buys either, just not for me.

Just looked at the bottle package for my next cruise...It was priced at $95.00 but with the "charge" plus tax it came up to $121.00....do the math....$26.00 dollars in charges for a package....Carnival has "shore" changed since my last cruise and with this....it may be my last.....!!!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 7:12 PM, Lottacruises said:

What if the somewhere else has rules you have to follow? When will it end????

I guess I just dont drink on cruises then. I dont drink alot ( mostly a Rum and Coke) with dinner. I am not paying $10 for a shot of rum and a coke so I will just bring my own pop on and go that way. 

• Like 2

On 2/15/2019 at 4:28 PM, n6uqqq said:

Shouldnt be a delivery fee if you order ahead of time from Bon V

On 2/15/2019 at 3:19 PM, Doggielover68 said:

How much of an alcoholic do you have to be

to get one of these ridiculous things? A bra that holds wine? ===> LOL!

It's sad, really.

Great minds think alike! I always wonder too -

but there are those who cruise to booze - and the foodies too!

14 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

It's possible, maybe they didn't understand their intended purpose

I wash my hair in vodka ma’am. You can’t take my shampoo away! This is an outrage!!! I’m gonna email people and yell at guest services!! Heads will roll because I need my vodka shampoo!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, ImANewfie said:

The discussion is about bringing alcohol on board in concealed containers or the like.

Someone posted a picture of the fake shampoo conditioner etc bottled, which in fact hold alcohol

I stated someone on a recent cruise used THOSE bottles, and got busted.

Again, the bottles hold booze, and are made to look like shampoo and conditioner for purposes of concealing

Those who scan are fully aware of teh existance, and i guess spot check

To be fair: You posted they had shampoo and conditioner in the fake bottles and got busted. Thus the question of their getting busted which to some of us implied they broke a rule when they didn't and I certainly hope their shampoo was not confiscated.

• Like 2

I'll take my chances as well.  I used to pay for a couple of bottles in the room, but not only do they not carry my preferred brands, they charge literally in excess of four times what I would normally pay per bottle.

• Like 1

I had a folding knife in a checked bag. Once I boarded the ship I got the letter to go down to security to get my bag. Once there I was surprised at the number of pax getting popped for smuggling alcohol. Could not help but smile. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Attached is my bill from the fun shop for my order. Even though 6 cokes are $10 and I get 12 for $4 at my local store, it is worth it to me not having to stop at a store while taking a taxi from the airport to the ship. And it is still cheaper than buying them one at a time on the ship even though they added tax and delivery charges on to it.

The rum to mix with my cokes is still cheaper than buying drinks on the ship though I  liked it much better before they started charging tax and delivery charges on each item.

At least I saved 12% on the total because I used gift cards I bought on AARP to pay for it and the gift cards saved me 10% and my credit card gave me 2% back.

liquor1.jpg

• Like 2