My new pet peeve on Oceania

Flatbush Flyer

maybe now they will work on my pet peeve

the glass in the Terrace  is too high & people can still reach under  to grab things   as well as get their plate from the server

Who knows what can fall off their arms in the food  EEEWWW :classic_ohmy:

Lower the glass shield closer to the counter  where no fingers can reach in   PLEASE

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but this is a good sign for Oceania if these are the "pet peeves". This seems to be the "petty pet peeve" thread. Unless the music included profanity I can't imagine it being an issue for me.

On 2/16/2019 at 2:18 PM, golfguyhhi said:

For what it's worth, the GDR menu is on channel 40 on the 'O' ships, and channel 40 is classical music.  The music channels (30 to 40) are the same on all ships.  37 is "Uplifting" music.  34 is Oldies.  The themes run for 6 hour segments -- midnite to 6 AM, 6 AM to noon, etc.  We like to listen to channel 32, "Rat Pack" while we have sundowners in the late afternoon.

What may I ask are sundowners.  Like happy hour drinks?   Are we missing something?  

RJB,

Well, like happy hour drinks only in the sense that we drink them during that happy hour after trivia and before we head out to dinner.  We drink them (usually gin and tonics) on our balcony and, as it goes down,  toast the sun for all its efforts during the day.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, golfguyhhi said:

RJB,

Well, like happy hour drinks only in the sense that we drink them during that happy hour after trivia and before we head out to dinner.  We drink them (usually gin and tonics) on our balcony and, as it goes down,  toast the sun for all its efforts during the day.

Sounds good.  We do our Vodka and grapefruit just about about the same time.  Enjoy.  

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

maybe now they will work on my pet peeve

the glass in the Terrace  is too high & people can still reach under  to grab things   as well as get their plate from the server

Who knows what can fall off their arms in the food  EEEWWW :classic_ohmy:

Lower the glass shield closer to the counter  where no fingers can reach in   PLEASE

Are you suggesting PAX arm pit hairs might find their way on to the food?   :classic_ohmy:

And,  those kind of PAXs who reach under the glass with germ infested filthy hands and unknown stuff on their fingers, or under their fingernails?

6 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Are you suggesting PAX arm pit hairs might find their way on to the food?   :classic_ohmy:

And,  those kind of PAXs who reach under the glass with germ infested filthy hands and unknown stuff on their fingers, or under their fingernails?

Whether it is Oceania or any other cruise line, one only needs to see some fellow passengers not wash their hands after using the rest room or sneeze/cough into their hand rather than a sleeve or handkerchief to be grateful that Terrace Café food is served by galley staff (rather than self-served). 

However, not everyone on an Oceania cruise is a repeat customer and some newbies can occasionally be seen reaching for food in the "no touch" environment. Reducing the open space below the glass barriers would definitely help some folks get the message that Oceania is very serious about food safety.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Whether it is Oceania or any other cruise line, one only needs to see some fellow passengers not wash their hands after using the rest room or sneeze/cough into their hand rather than a sleeve or handkerchief to be grateful that Terrace Café food is served by galley staff (rather than self-served). 

However, not everyone on an Oceania cruise is a repeat customer and some newbies can occasionally be seen reaching for food in the "no touch" environment. Reducing the open space below the glass barriers would definitely help some folks get the message that Oceania is very serious about food safety.

Agree.  One thing that impressed me with Terrace is servers serve the food to the PAXs.   Maybe Terrace should post signs on the glass for PAXs not to self-serve.

5 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Agree.  One thing that impressed me with Terrace is servers serve the food to the PAXs.   Maybe Terrace should post signs on the glass for PAXs not to self-serve.

In my experience, other passengers will gently remind those folks with outstretched hands that staff will provide whatever item desired.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:52 AM, DOJO466 said:

My ears cannot tolerate the sound from the tv's in the staterooms...thus.  Mute.

I'm with you. I immediately turn it off when I enter my cabin and the steward or butler has turned it on. I don't even watch TV in my home, I sure don't want to watch TV on a cruise when I am half-way around the world seeking renewal and adventure.

Just now, mybagsarepacked said:

I'm with you. I immediately turn it off when I enter my cabin and the steward or butler has turned it on.

I have not have  the steward  turn the TV  in the cabin except day one

when you enter  they have the hand washing demo plus other info on the TV

Funny thing, there is a current ongoing thread entitled “Movies in Cabin” where people sit in their cabins and watch movies during the cruise. We had dinner one evening last month with a cruiser that said he had watched 30 something movies to date on the cruise and was hoping he’d get in at least 40 before the end of the 12 day cruise! He had only gotten off the ship a couple of times during the cruise, Bora Bora and one other island I think! 

We rarely watch any tv on a cruise, each to his own, but a significant number of cruisers are spending considerable amounts of time in front of the boob tube. I doubt they’re all doing it on mute! I just hate when my ( especially hard of hearing) cabin neighbors are doing it at 23:00 through 06:00 ! 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 7:14 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

In my experience, other passengers will gently remind those folks with outstretched hands that staff will provide whatever item desired.

This is the third time (and I am sure there are many more) you want passengers to police or try to enforce the Oceania rules.  One should mind their business and let the ship enforce its rules, not the guests.  At most you could complain to an employee.  If someone did that with me, they will get an earful and a swift verbal boot in the rear.  It is like me stopping you at the gangway and tell you that only 6 bottles of alcohol is allowed.  Or how about if I stop you and ask if that glass of wine you have in your hand is from the bar, the ship store,  or from what you brought on board (someone here is calling that a safety issue).  Or what I disagree with your choice of dress at dinner and come to your table and tell you so?  It is not my concern and none of my business.   You should mind yours as well.  Let people enjoy their vacation.    Let the ship enforce what they should.  

3 minutes ago, pauon said:

This is the third time (and I am sure there are many more) you want passengers to police or try to enforce the Oceania rules.  One should mind their business and let the ship enforce its rules, not the guests.  At most you could complain to an employee.  If someone did that with me, they will get an earful and a swift verbal boot in the rear.  It is like me stopping you at the gangway and tell you that only 6 bottles of alcohol is allowed.  Or how about if I stop you and ask if that glass of wine you have in your hand is from the bar, the ship store,  or from what you brought on board (someone here is calling that a safety issue).  Or what I disagree with your choice of dress at dinner and come to your table and tell you so?  It is not my concern and none of my business.   You should mind yours as well.  Let people enjoy their vacation.    Let the ship enforce what they should.  

You certainly read the meaning you want into others' posts:

Reread my post above where I reported my observations in my experiences about what some regular O passengers do (rather than, like you, directing people's actions, e.g., mind your own business).

if you are so unhappy and angry with what many O regulars post here, perhaps you shouldn't read or respond to those posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You certainly read the meaning you want into others' posts:

Reread my post above where I reported my observations in my experiences about what some regular O passengers do (rather than, like you, directing people's actions, e.g., mind your own business).

if you are so unhappy and angry with what many O regulars post here, perhaps you shouldn't read or respond to those posts.

I think I struck a nerve.  Right is right and wrong is wrong.   Encouraging passengers to take rule interpretation issues with other passengers into their own hands is wrong and very dangerous.  Some of the regulars should realize this is a public forum.   If you don't like what I have to say, block me.   Wasn't it you who said "I trust that O regulars will set (someone) straight." ?   That is a slippery slope.  Use a little common sense.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pauon said:

I think I struck a nerve.  Right is right and wrong is wrong.   Encouraging passengers to take rule interpretation issues with other passengers into their own hands is wrong and very dangerous.  Some of the regulars should realize this is a public forum.   If you don't like what I have to say, block me.   Wasn't it you who said "I trust that O regulars will set (someone) straight." ?   That is a slippery slope.  Use a little common sense.  

"Struck a nerve"? Please don't flatter yourself. 

As for "encouraging" Oceania passengers to provide gentle reminders about Oceania's heavy emphasis on safe food/health practices (like enjoying the staff's serving food in the Terrace Café), there's no really no need. Many O passenger often gently remind each other about some of the reasonable behaviors that set the line apart in a very positive and decorous way.

1 hour ago, pauon said:

You are correct on all these issues except perhaps the self-service issue at the buffet. A Maitre D’ is in a position of authority to monitor and respond to incorrect dress code. OTOH, the servers at the buffet are often hesitant to reprimand customers out of shyness/lack of language skill/respect, etc. It IS appropriate for a fellow passenger to gently and politely remind another passenger not to self serve themselves. The manner and tone of how this is done makes all the difference. Most polite passengers will in turn thank them for reminding them, the rude ones will argue.

JMO.

Edited by Paulchili

2 hours ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Name tags on the Sirena Miami - Buenos Aires itinerary earlier this year were changed mid-cruise to a larger font for the name. The country of origin was omitted.

As someone who personalizes name tags for Meet & Greets -- and I'm not sure at all that my name tags are the same size as those that crew use.  But it's been my experience that there is a limit to what I can put on the name tag.

For example, I like to have the name in as large type as I can, but when people have "long" names it can be a problem.  I also like to say their city of origin and their CC handle if I have it.

I can't always do that depending on the info and space available.  So if Oceania has increased the font for crew names, it may be difficult to include countries of origin.  And they have to standardize them, I'm sure.  So it may mean defaulting to no country of origin.

Just a guess.

Mura