The most important question nobody has asked: Game of Thrones while on the ship?

slugg

We’re sailing on the Breakaway on April 21st. My wife will make the ship turn around if she can’t see Game of Thrones when it airs. Does anyone know if NCL has HBO on the ship, or maybe they do a “watch party” kind of thing?

Just now, shof515 said:

internet on the ship is soo bad that streaming will not work

It might work with the higher/highest tier internet. Or if you have a DVR service that lets you do offline viewing on your device.  Worth it for OP to look into alternate solutions if it’s as dire as it sounds 😛

• Like 1

Not sure the online bandwidth would be nearly enough to stream a TV show.  Plus, I can’t see NCL (or any cruise line for that matter) offering premium TV content like HBO.  

If it’s that big of a deal to see the show(s) when they’re broadcast, might want to push out your cruise dates until AFTER the show’s finale.

Lol I'm in the same boat re GOT.I understand your wifes dilemma. I'd try streaming, hbo go, YouTube...or waiting until you get back and binge it which is probably what I'll be doing (I'll be missing 2 episodes). Just avoid reading any recaps and tell her she wont have any spoilers on the ship since probably no one will get it. 

1 hour ago, Tamereth said:

It might work with the higher/highest tier internet. Or if you have a DVR service that lets you do offline viewing on your device.  Worth it for OP to look into alternate solutions if it’s as dire as it sounds 😛

This sounds like a good option, except for one thing...

Routan is our first port. Does anyone know of a fast enough, reasonably priced WiFi hotspot we could use to download the episode from our home DVR? Because I do actually have that set up with Plex and Plex Pass. 

I think my wife would raise 3 dragons of her own and attack the ship if we don’t have a solution. For the safety of all passengers and crew, I think we, as a community, need to solve this fiery problem!

Who is your mobile provider?  Maybe they have free (or reasonably-priced) international roaming that you can use after you dock?  For example, T-Mobile, Sprint, and Google Fi all seem to have free 'basic' data (pay more for higher speeds), and AT&T has it for $10 a day.  I've used the AT&T one and it was pretty fast.   

I've never been to Roatan but it sounds like WiFi availability isn't great unless you get a day pass for one of the resorts...?

Good luck!

That's what I plan to do.  Spend thousands of dollars on a cruise to paradise.  Then spend more on a high speed internet connection or an upgraded phone connection so I can hang out in my cabin watching a television program that I can watch for free when I return home.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tamereth said:

Google Fi all seem to have free 'basic' data (pay more for higher speeds)

Actually - Google Fi international data speed is only limited by whatever speed the local provider will serve up. There is no fee schedule for higher speeds posted.  You are correct in that there is no additional cost to use data while abroad if you have Google Fi, you just incur the same per-GB data cost as you do when in the US and whatever cost there is for calls if you make any ($0.20 / min typically).

https://www.androidcentral.com/bye-t-mobile-i-just-switched-google-fi

"Fi's international data is consistently faster than T-Mobile's, and doesn't cost anything extra."

Additionally, you can use hotspot internationally, also with no additional cost, except for whatever data you use.

1 minute ago, hallux said:

Actually - Google Fi international data speed is only limited by whatever speed the local provider will serve up. There is no fee schedule for higher speeds posted.  You are correct in that there is no additional cost to use data while abroad if you have Google Fi, you just incur the same per-GB data cost as you do when in the US and whatever cost there is for calls if you make any ($0.20 / min typically).

"Fi's international data is consistently faster than T-Mobile's, and doesn't cost anything extra."

Additionally, you can use hotspot internationally, also with no additional cost, except for whatever data you use.

Cool, I didn’t know that! I had only looked up the other ones.  Should have done more thorough research before posting.

I haven’t met that many people who use Fi tbh, but my friend had it for our last cruise and didn’t have any problems.

2 minutes ago, Tamereth said:

I haven’t met that many people who use Fi tbh, but my friend had it for our last cruise and didn’t have any problems.

Well, add a "virtual" one to the list.  I'm a "data sipper" though, I rarely use more than 500 MB a month as I have WiFi in many places I go, and for the situations where I don't I've thought ahead and cached items (maps, music, etc) to "consume" from the device rather than using data.

if you have Verizon -  you can get the travel plan which is you take your data along (however much you have monthly) for $10/day  that is on land .  If you get the "streaming" service on the ship it really is good  - I never had any issues watching movies or getting on Facebook

5 hours ago, hallux said:

On our Alaska 2017 cruise my brother and sister in law had google fi and used it to watch game of thrones while on the ship. I recorded it on my DVR and watched it when we got home, I was not interested in watching it on a cell phone sized screen over the 60 inch tv at home. I also like to disconnect from technology on my cruises, but that’s my preference I realize others don’t always share. 

26 minutes ago, Nachosupreme said:

On our Alaska 2017 cruise my brother and sister in law had google fi and used it to watch game of thrones while on the ship. I recorded it on my DVR and watched it when we got home, I was not interested in watching it on a cell phone sized screen over the 60 inch tv at home. I also like to disconnect from technology on my cruises, but that’s my preference I realize others don’t always share. 

I suspect that OP does not intend to voice that opinion to their wife even if they agree with you 🤣