Formal Night on 15 Day Hawaii Cruise - Attire

pianoman4sq

On the 15 Day Hawaii Cruise, would it be appropriate to where a Hawaiian Shirt w/Lei or Shells and nice slacks for a man on one of the Formal Nights?  Would they let you into the MDR?  Just curious.

Thanks,

Ed

Crown Princess  Alaska RT from Seattle June 2015

Crown Princess Alaska RT from Vancouver May 2016

The "rules" for Formal Nights are the same on every Princess cruise regardless of the itinerary. I wear Aloha Shirts on Smart Casual Nights but never on Formal Nights.

Now you can stand by for the endless Formal Night Debate.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

I have been wearing a guayabera shirt (short sleeved) and dockers on formal nights for several years now.  We do TD and no one has ever said a word when I entered.  I don't think a Hawaiian shirt would make much difference.  The dress rules/suggestions for formal night have been slipping for some time now.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

Now you can stand by for the endless Formal Night Debate.

I suppose this comes up as frequently as it does just because new folks ask about it who have not been involved in the endless (agreed!) discussions on the subject. 

Having said that, OP, the attire you are asking about is perfectly appropriate on “smart casual” nights as well as on “formal” nights. 

I’ve seldom worn anything but nice black jeans and a Kahala/Tori Richard Hawaiian shirt to dinner in the MDR. On occasion I might wear a long sleeve shirt on Formal nights but the black jeans are my constant companion. 

Be comfortable and enjoy!

I have a nice Hawaiian style shirt with a Hidden Micky Mouse on it.  I wear it to formal nights and non-formal nights.  Though, I do have a Wilson's Suede and Leather Leather Sport Coat for Formal nights.  Sometimes I don't wear the MM shirt but do wear a Costco Hawaiian Shirt, I have several of those.  I do pack a tie so that if I feel like wearing a tie, I have one and don't have to shop in the Shops Of Princess for one I like, but many times I see a tie or even a hat I like there and I'll wear that even on formal nights but take the hat off when seated, since I think one needs to pay respect to other guests and maybe Ladies by removing my cover in their presence.  Or I wear a Tux ... but never with a cummerbund, I hate those, I have a nice vest if I feel like wearing it, or not.

• Like 1

We are booked on an Hawaii cruise and will be going formal at least two of the three formal nights.  That's our choice and everyone has that choice.  As long as I'm not tackled to the ground by someone wearing a Hawaiian shirt and told to change, I'm good with that.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Anubi said:

We are booked on an Hawaii cruise and will be going formal at least two of the three formal nights.  That's our choice and everyone has that choice.  As long as I'm not tackled to the ground by someone wearing a Hawaiian shirt and told to change, I'm good with that.  :classic_biggrin:

:classic_laugh: brilliant !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anubi said:

From some of the posts here I would think it would be someone  in a Tuxedo or Evening gown that would be the attacker. After all they seem to be the ones upset that others are not conforming to their desires.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

From some of the posts here I would think it would be someone  in a Tuxedo or Evening gown that would be the attacker. After all they seem to be the ones upset that others are not conforming to their desires.

🤣 but then KDTO is only 642’

Fashion tastes vary. I once had a table mate actually sneer at my Tommy Bahama on a Smart Casual night. It was a $130 shirt and looked quite nice. I never wear my Tommy's on Formal Nights but I was pretty blown away by the guy's sneering attitude and snotty comments about my Dockers, Tommy Bahama, and black dress shoes and socks.

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Fashion tastes vary. I once had a table mate actually sneer at my Tommy Bahama on a Smart Casual night. It was a $130 shirt and looked quite nice. I never wear my Tommy's on Formal Nights but I was pretty blown away by the guy's sneering attitude and snotty comments about my Dockers, Tommy Bahama, and black dress shoes and socks.

I trust you found a different table mate, pronto! Life's too short for sneering idiots. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Were you wearing the socks on your hands?  😂

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Makes my last point about who might attack who.

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

I think you and my husband shop at the same stores.  Or in my husband's case, I shop for him, pack his suitcase, and he wears it.  The alternative would be for him to do it himself, but that is not happening, lol. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Hello Captain, don't you think it appropriate that the new folks who haven't suffered through seemingly endless iterations of the same discussion have the benefit of the various points of view? 

Otherwise they may come away with the mistaken idea that it's really required they don tuxedos and other such attire when such attire is more of a suggestion than a demand. 

Surely by now all the "old heads" know where we stand on the matter but there is "new blood" constantly joining the fold who are understandably curious about any number of things. Including dinner attire. 

Agreed.  Newbies ask questions that we have all seen hundreds of times before and are looking for real answers and not opinions.  Maybe instead of beating a dead horse, it would be much better if everyone posts what they wear on formal nights and let the newbie make their decision as what to wear.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

I don't own any Hawaiian shirts but a short sleeve guayabera shirt works for formal nights on Princess ships with a pair of dress pants. 

image.jpeg.8319cd3a9ee3fcce84fd95c98e30904d.jpeg

Nice shirt.  Mine is yellow and getting a bit long in tooth.  Perhaps I need to go shopping for something like the one above.  

17 hours ago, Ferd Berfle said:

I have a nice Hawaiian style shirt with a Hidden Micky Mouse on it.  I wear it to formal nights and non-formal nights.  Though, I do have a Wilson's Suede and Leather Leather Sport Coat for Formal nights.  Sometimes I don't wear the MM shirt but do wear a Costco Hawaiian Shirt, I have several of those.  I do pack a tie so that if I feel like wearing a tie, I have one and don't have to shop in the Shops Of Princess for one I like, but many times I see a tie or even a hat I like there and I'll wear that even on formal nights but take the hat off when seated, since I think one needs to pay respect to other guests and maybe Ladies by removing my cover in their presence.  Or I wear a Tux ... but never with a cummerbund, I hate those, I have a nice vest if I feel like wearing it, or not.

1 minute ago, Lucky TGO said:

I just purchase this new Tux for formal nights. Do all my Cruise Critic friends like it?

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

1CD02200-F83D-4C31-AD3B-46757020FB1F.jpeg

Very appropriate for a captain of a rowboat.  I think we would all approve.  😂