$10 surcharge MDR

VitaminSea53

For those who have sailed on ships that have implemented the $10 charge for an additional entree, what has been the sentiment among the passengers?  Has there been push back or has it been accepted?  What happens if your entree is not prepared correctly?  If you send it back and order a new one are you charged $10? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Surcharge for second entree, by choice, is fair.

I would like to disagree with this.   This has been the standard in cruising industry for every ship I've been on (Carnival, RCL, Celebrity, Princess, HAL).   The brochure mentions charging for Specialty Dinning, not the MDR.   Very few people abuse this (at least as far as I've seen).  If you are hungry, you should be able to order more.   

Those that abuse the extra entree most likely won't pay for the new surcharge, but they will go ahead and order 5 appetizers, 2 soups, 1 entree, 5 deserts and a cheese plate.   Makes no sense to me

Many people order a pasta to split between their party whether it be 2-4 people.   If this happened every night for a 20 day cruise it would be $200......that's absurd

Lastly, for this to be thrown on a couple of ships as a "TRIAL" is unfair to those passengers that knew nothing about this.  It should either be fleet wide or not at all.   Of course, I'm ticked as I'm sailing on NA shortly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Already beat to death here:

And discussed in general on several other threads.

Good to have a thread where it is safe to agree with this new policy. That makes it different.

8 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Good to have a thread where it is safe to agree with this new policy. That makes it different.

You can agree. That in no way makes you "right". 

I appreciate that @Cruizin4us injected some common sense into the discussion. I clearly also think this is a poor "policy" (although if it is enforced the way people are saying the dress code is enforced, then it is a paper tiger). But if that is HAL's policy going forward, so be it. Just introduce it in a clear, consistent manner and provide people options to cancel without penalty.

As many have said, there are other cruise lines. And other vacations where you get more bang for your buck.

Just like people who fly Spirit -- who like the low intro fares and don't realize that their overall cost in many (although not all) cases is higher than other, more inclusive options.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

No, what makes it DIFFERENT is that the OP is asking for current, actual experiences of people who have experienced this.

5 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

For those who have sailed on ships that have implemented the $10 charge for an additional entree, what has been the sentiment among the passengers?  Has there been push back or has it been accepted?  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, killsport said:

You can agree. That in no way makes you "right". 

I appreciate that @Cruizin4us injected some common sense into the discussion. I clearly also think this is a poor "policy" (although if it is enforced the way people are saying the dress code is enforced, then it is a paper tiger). But if that is HAL's policy going forward, so be it. Just introduce it in a clear, consistent manner and provide people options to cancel without penalty.

As many have said, there are other cruise lines. And other vacations where you get more bang for your buck.

Just like people who fly Spirit -- who like the low intro fares and don't realize that their overall cost in many (although not all) cases is higher than other, more inclusive options.

It is a right policy too.  Reduce food waste and help reduce food costs. That is right in my book. 

5 hours ago, billbunger said:

Please shut this thread off, there is one going with way to many comments already that cover the exact same issue.

Yes they should be merged and redirected to the original thread. Honestly I don't know how much more can be said on this topic anyway. People feel one way or the other about it and a second thread won't change anything.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I would like to disagree with this.   This has been the standard in cruising industry for every ship I've been on (Carnival, RCL, Celebrity, Princess, HAL). 

Smoking used to be standard, and not many are complaining about that policy having been changed. 

56 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

Those that abuse the extra entree most likely won't pay for the new surcharge, but they will go ahead and order 5 appetizers, 2 soups, 1 entree, 5 deserts and a cheese plate. 

I guess the people at HAL did think of that, and that's why it's a trial to see how people will act. Personally I've seen absurd orders being made just because it was free anyway, and I would find it only logical for a cruise line to try to fight that. It has also been the standard on cruises that people behaved themselves and wouldn't order a dish to just see what it looked like.

58 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

Lastly, for this to be thrown on a couple of ships as a "TRIAL" is unfair to those passengers that knew nothing about this.  It should either be fleet wide or not at all. 

We totally agree that it should have been told to passengers before they booked as they expected otherwise. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

It is a right policy too.  Reduce food waste and help reduce food costs. That is right in my book. 

"A right policy?" All hail the chosen one! We are lucky you are here to determine right and wrong!!! <insert vast amounts of sarcasm here>

How about the ship never leaves the dock? It would reduce fuel consumption and reduce fuel costs... (which is "right" in your book). But doesn't it seem like it defeats the purpose of the cruise for many (but there are those who never leave the ship, so maybe that is "right" for them)?  For many people this surprise charge (not documented before final payment) is similar in concept.

• Like 7

OP Here!  I am not looking to debate the new test policy.  Other threads are doing that.

I am asking for input from those who HAVE DIRECT EXPERIENCE with the new test.  Has anyone actually cruised on a ship with the new test policy in place. What were your experiences?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VitaminSea53 said:

OP Here!  I am not looking to debate the new test policy.  Other threads are doing that.

I am asking for input from those who HAVE DIRECT EXPERIENCE with the new test.  Has anyone actually cruised on a ship with the new test policy in place. What were your experiences?

Some of us realize that.  I am glad you started this thread. 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VennDiagram said:

No, what makes it DIFFERENT is that the OP is asking for current, actual experiences of people who have experienced this.

Thank you VennDiagram for paying attention. Still waiting to hear from actual cruisers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billbunger said:

Please shut this thread off, there is one going with way to many comments already that cover the exact same issue.

Not the “exact same issue” - read my original question .... I am not asking to debate the issue. I AM ASKING FOR FEEDBACK FROM CRUISERS WHO HAVE DIRECTLY EXPERIENCED THE NEW TEST POLICY. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Not the “exact same issue” - read my original question .... I am not asking to debate the issue. I AM ASKING FOR FEEDBACK FROM CRUISERS WHO HAVE DIRECTLY EXPERIENCED THE NEW TEST POLICY. 

I asked the question of a current cruiser on the Eurodam.  She said their waiter on day one said there would be a charge for an additional entree.

8 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

For those who have sailed on ships that have implemented the $10 charge for an additional entree, what has been the sentiment among the passengers?  Has there been push back or has it been accepted?  What happens if your entree is not prepared correctly?  If you send it back and order a new one are you charged $10? 

I believe this is still on a trial basis, so it has not yet been "implemented." Wait a month.  Then it will probably be implemented.

4 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

...If you are hungry, you should be able to order more.   

Those that abuse the extra entree most likely won't pay for the new surcharge, but they will go ahead and order 5 appetizers, 2 soups, 1 entree, 5 deserts and a cheese plate.   Makes no sense to me

It makes perfect sense.  People were ordering extra entrees just for a taste, not because they were hungry.  (Who is hungry on a cruise ship????)  It is OK to order an extra appetizer for a taste as that is the purpose of an appetizer.  As you have said, there is still plenty of "no extra charge" food for those who are truly hungry including an endless supply of bread.

I am siding with HAL on this one as the "tasters" are driving up my cruise fare.

igraf

• Like 2

This reported from someone currently on the Eurodam

On another note back to the “hot topic” of $10 charge for 2nd entree.....our waiter informed us this evening that if you happen to not like the entree that you ordered...he will bring another at no charge.”

Good to know that they are being reasonable about it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

This reported from someone currently on the Eurodam

On another note back to the “hot topic” of $10 charge for 2nd entree.....our waiter informed us this evening that if you happen to not like the entree that you ordered...he will bring another at no charge.”

Good to know that they are being reasonable about it. 

Now let's hope that the passengers are equally reasonable. I don't want to see passengers eating 9/10ths of their entrée and then declaring that they didn't like it before ordering another one and expecting it to be free. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Now let's hope that the passengers are equally reasonable. I don't want to see passengers eating 9/10ths of their entrée and then declaring that they didn't like it before ordering another one and expecting it to be free. 

As someone who worked in the restaurant industry for too long, unfortunately there will always be a segment of the general population that will attempt this. We can just hope that HAL will treat them accordingly.

23 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I sail on Oosterdam in two weeks.  You can be sure I'll report back about this test policy.  All of us were shocked to learn we're on one of the "test" ships.  Had I not read about this policy on CC, I wouldn't have known about it at all.  No emails, no phone calls from PCC to alert me of this new policy.  The roll-out with no advance notice bothers me.  I promise to report back, VitaminSea53.

• Like 2