Straws?

crash3x

Has Celebrity taken away straws like another Cruise line has.     I found it fun that unnamed cruise line I was just on had no straws to offer...I was prepared for that and bought a collapsible  to bring on board...down side  you have carry this drippy mess until you can locate (well hidden) restroom to rinse out , before you can put it away.     I found it funny that only 3 times during my cruise did I actually get a drink in a glass, they were always in plastic cups......I would rather a real glass and a tiny plastic straw.     I have tried paper ones but they get soggy fast and are useless.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, crash3x said:

Has Celebrity taken away straws like another Cruise line has.     I found it fun that unnamed cruise line I was just on had no straws to offer...I was prepared for that and bought a collapsible  to bring on board...down side  you have carry this drippy mess until you can locate (well hidden) restroom to rinse out , before you can put it away.     I found it funny that only 3 times during my cruise did I actually get a drink in a glass, they were always in plastic cups......I would rather a real glass and a tiny plastic straw.     I have tried paper ones but they get soggy fast and are useless.

Not sure why you are getting a drippy mess. I just suck on the end of the straw when done to clear anything out and then wrap it in a napkin and rinse when it's convenient. Problem solved.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Yes, yes- that staw problem is really serious! Ah problems but problems- always something to worry about!

Well yes. There are first world problems that are far more important than reality. There is that. :-)

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

If plastic straws are important to you bring your own. Just don’t throw them overboard. In fact, don’t throw anything overboard. Happy sipping. 

I think that a lot of people who bring their own are buying the stainless steel ones. That's the ones we have.

• Like 1

In the UK the silicon (and for that matter the steel folding ones) come with a pouch?.  If you have to use a straw for disability reasons the steel ones can be cleaned in Milton whilst you can bring on board for the purpose.  Personally - I'd rather  not have a straw!

10 hours ago, mfs2k said:

If plastic straws are important to you bring your own. Just don’t throw them overboard. In fact, don’t throw anything overboard. Happy sipping. 

Who throws straws overboard?  They go right into the trash along with all the other plastics on the ship.  This whole straw thingy is "much ado about nothing."

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

Who throws straws overboard?  They go right into the trash along with all the other plastics on the ship.  This whole straw thingy is "much ado about nothing."

Amen. I have never seen people throwing their plastic straws over board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

I have not observed “people” throwing trash overboard, but I have seen garbage (straws, napkins, etc) being blown away by the wind that take flight overboard into the ocean.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

I have not observed “people” throwing trash overboard, but I have seen garbage (straws, napkins, etc) being blown away by the wind that take flight overboard into the ocean.  

Of the many bits of plastic, including straws, in the ocean, an infinitesimal number of them got there because someone dropped or lost them overboard from a cruise ship.  

From what I’ve read,  the usual route for plastic to get into the ocean is for it to be put in a landfill which gets flooded because it’s on low-lying ground, and the rubbish gets carried out to sea.  Some countries or regions within a country contract their rubbish and/or recyclables to be carried across the ocean on barges for disposal in other countries.  Sometimes the rubbish is swept off the barges  in a storm, and sometimes it is just dumped in the ocean by unscrupulous contractors.  Sometimes it gets to the landfill in the other country, but is swept out to sea by a flood/hurricane/cyclone.  

The reason straws have been singled out as a starting point is because they are difficult/unprofitable to recycle, and because they are colourful and they float, so they show right up in any heap of plastic floating in the ocean or washed ashore.  Alternatives to plastic straws are pretty convenient for most people, so they make a good starting point for weaning us off single-use plastic.  I’m sure plastic bottles are on the target list sometime soon as well.

Edited by lisiamc

12 hours ago, Wine-O said:

We have a home on the beach in the Caribbean and each day starts with a bag collecting plastic waste off the beach.  Plastic straws, bottles, bottle caps, plastic utensils, it is just sickening.  Hopefully when the biodegradable alternatives become more cost effective the plastic garbage trashing our oceans will stop.  It is not "much ado about nothing"  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

No it's about the drinks tipping over or being left under a pool chair and rolling around in the out of doors and the winds taking them overboard and into the sea. Its a pretty big deal. 

Edited by MizDemeanor
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

No it's about the drinks tipping over or being left under a pool chair and rolling around in the out of doors and the winds taking them overboard and into the sea. Its a pretty big deal. 

Hello, a straw or two getting blown overboard is really NOT a pretty big deal, in my opinion.  It's all "much ado about nothing."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Hello, a straw or two getting blown overboard is really NOT a pretty big deal, in my opinion.  It's all "much ado about nothing."

If you can read a longer atricle about this topic, you may be enlightened, or maybe reamain just defiant about the environment. Who knows.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/07/news-plastic-drinking-straw-history-ban/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everything that ends up in the insides of sea animals is A BIG DEAL. I agree! To have straws no longer made of plastic is a very good move into the right direction. There are alternative´s and they are working - if one drinks a bit more slow- just get a new one - and everyone is happy - including the sea animals...! Dear dear- what wonderful problems!

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

That's because most of the plastics pollution comes from ASIA!!!  Let's stop making a big deal about a couple of straws that might blow over the side of a cruise ship.  Take your faux protests to where it belongs -- Asia, India, and Africa, and leave our freaking plastic straws alone.  

• Like 2

The same argument can be made about anything. When alternatives exist, why insist on a product that literally does not ever go away in our lifetimes? Even if they disintegrate, the plastic particulates are detectable in fish and other seafood.

Start with straws, move on up to other things.  

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

That's because most of the plastics pollution comes from ASIA!!!  Let's stop making a big deal about a couple of straws that might blow over the side of a cruise ship.  Take your faux protests to where it belongs -- Asia, India, and Africa, and leave our freaking plastic straws alone.  

Unless you don't live on earth, it does not matter where the plastic waste is coming from. The ocean is connected. Majority of human population is in Asia, so you can blame anything because of human error there too.

My 2 cents:  There is absolutely no reason that one HAS to have a straw.  Unless one is disabled (i.e. Parkinson's, a quadriplegic, no doubt others that I am unaware of), we can ALL do without a straw.

I'll challenge you to come up with any valid reason that they are NECESSARY.  (With the exception noted above.)

• Like 3

If you want to know how an awful lot of that plastic waste got to Asia in the first place, here is a link to a chart of the where the USA exports its plastic waste.  China stopped accepting plastic waste from the USA in 2017, but other countries will still accept it, and a lot of the original waste is still around, since it takes centuries to break down.