Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

30 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I could have sworn early on I saw 1300  passengers. Thought crew was in addition. 

930 pax is a pretty small ship, today. 

Reading other posts or a 30 second google search would answer your issue.

• Like 1

I consider it in very poor taste to already by discussing that to these passengers and then I do believe "the waiver" at a time where these people are still vulnerable.  You do not live thru an experience like that with titanic type events(the stuff crashing around) and need some time to think. It seems they want to settle that right away. I think many of these passengers are pretty smart and will wait. 
And I consider it in very poor taste to be talking about the "inevitable" lawsuits, attorneys' investigators and the involvement of the US Coast Guard (?!)
I'm sure there will be a *maritime* investigation, but believe it would be highly unlikely to result in anything criminal.
And a civil suit in Norway - especially if waivers have been signed (or even if they weren't, but in consideration of everything Viking is apparently doing for the passengers involved) - seems far from a certainty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

The PAX wouldn't need to sue if they were treated fairly in the first place.

All I've seen is a very professional Captain, a very nice offer by Viking, and very grateful passengers. I really don't understand why people are already searching for reasons to sue Viking when there's no reason whatsoever to suspect they did anything wrong!

Edited by AmazedByCruising
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cepeterson said:

Our children have children, so I guess we won’t be taking them along when we board the Viking Sky on May 6 in Stockholm. We are eagerly anticipating sailing with the Sky’s extraordinary crew, well proven under very challenging circumstances, not of there own making.

By the way, all that other speculation is just that, speculation, and certainly sounds like many “contributors” are assuming facts not yet in evidence.

Not a lawyer, but teach business and finance to lawyers.

So, I guess that means you aren't taking your children on a Viking cruise.  I don't blame you...:classic_wacko:

3 minutes ago, just_dont said:

And I consider it in very poor taste to be talking about the "inevitable" lawsuits, attorneys' investigators and the involvement of the US Coast Guard (?!)
I'm sure there will be a *maritime* investigation, but believe it would be highly unlikely to result in anything criminal.
And a civil suit in Norway - especially if waivers have been signed (or even if they weren't, but in consideration of everything Viking is apparently doing for the passengers involved) - seems far from a certainty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

this is a forum...a discussion and opinion board. No one here really knows anything about this particular case so my comments are just as valid as the next. Of course there will be law suits.  I never mentioned anything about the coast guard...not sure where that came from.  Passengers taking a cruise like this have trip cancellation/interruption insurance where they can certainly make claims that Viking does not cover.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

If anyone wants an apples to apples (well maybe golden delicious to Granny Smiths) here is a link to my comparison:

http://cruisinwithclay.com/2019/02/12/transatlantic-battle/

I enjoyed your comparison. I have never cruised with Viking or Norwegian.  I have never done a TA.  My cruises have been on Hurtiigruten, Celebrity, Azamara, Pearl Seas and Royal Caribbean.  DW says she will never go on Viking and we make joint decisions.  Engine failure on a 2 year old ship is a cause for concern.  But we do get Viking brochures.

5 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

The US TV coverage has been generally quite positive about the professionalism of the crew and the Norwegian rescue teams.  In spite of passengers watching cascading furniture, huddled in stair wells, etc.

There are some passengers that have been talking to every media...I see the same ones on various media. There are many not talking so probably have to wait to be the big picture of what happened. I do think the crew did an outstanding job based on those that are talking.

2 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

All I've seen is a very professional Captain, a very nice offer by Viking, and very grateful passengers. I really don't understand why people are already searching reasons to sue Viking when there's no reason whatsoever to suspect they did anything wrong!

Do you really consider almost crashing upon the rocks and needing helicopter evacuations to be 'nothing wrong?"

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

Not quite  on the Costa Concordia 696 out of the 3206 actually on board had not yet been to must drill

Collision occurred at 21:45 General alarm was given at 22:48.

And the brave captain bailed 45 min later and would not return to the ship leaving the rest of his crew to manage as well as they could. Let's not forget what happened there. And the captain was the one who delayed mustering the pax. Contrast that with yesterday and there is no comparison except as an object lesson in all the ways to do things wrong.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

I enjoyed your comparison. I have never cruised with Viking or Norwegian.  I have never done a TA.  My cruises have been on Hurtiigruten, Celebrity, Azamara, Pearl Seas and Royal Caribbean.  DW says she will never go on Viking and we make joint decisions.  Engine failure on a 2 year old ship is a cause for concern.  But we do get Viking brochures.

I spent 18K on a Viking Cruise.  Worst Cruising experience of my cruising life.

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Do you really consider almost crashing upon the rocks and needing helicopter evacuations to be 'nothing wrong?"

Hi Daniel a. Clearly you have a problem with viking.  I have never cruised with them. Can you tell us all the scoop on why you are not fond of this line?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would moreso be interested in knowing how a vessel with 4 Generators, can in this day and age can be without power to the propulsion. Yeaterday the brand new Fincantieri Nieuw Statendam lost all power, as far as I know, with limited or no propulsion. Why is there not a standby Generator, with a seperate fuel supply (optional crossfeed to the main fuel supply if no fuel contamination is a factor), which is isolated from the main electrical system, that can supply power, limited if need be to the main propulsion and vital life systems, to keep the ship moving albeit slowly so it can be stabilized in high seas or moved very slowly toward land or safer waters. 

We’ve seen now a few instances lately where Fincantieri builds, new and old, are suffering from carastrophic or partial power issues. 

I believe the focus on the vessel and what happened to it as well as its design should be the focus. Im certain is was maintained properly, but what happened to caused a complete lack of available power. 

(keep in mind that the motors that turn the propellers are electric and powered by giant diesel generators) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

You folks understand the Captain took that vessel into treacherous waters knowing he didn't have FULL engine power - one engine out for maintenance and he took 900 souls into treacherous waters not having his full compliment of power.  That is called arrogance.

And when this tripe comes out, you know it's time to leave the thread.

Glad everyone is okay -- as well as can be expected anyway.

So long!

• Like 9

Oh and by the way, to all you posters who were not on the Sky yesterday and raising all these concerns about liability,  investigations, waivers, and --- dear God --- lawsuits. Please --- give it a rest!!  This is not what the folks who were there need to be subjected to. There may be a time for finger pointing but not now. This is a time for words of encouragement and thankfulness. 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 19

1 hour ago, RDC1 said:

If you look at the area around lifeboats you will see some large cannisters, often in clusters in racks. These are the life rafts. What I don't know is how people are expected to get in these since they drop into the ocean.

On my recent Miami-Santiago (NCL Sun, December repo) cruise I studied the deployment instructions for the canister life rafts: quite visible on metal signs, in English, on the promenade deck if you pay attention to that sort of thing. (Of course I can't remember what the procedure was but it was interesting at the time. I think it involved harnesses and block-and-tackle to get crew members one-at-a-time down to the rafts.)

Edited by GGrace