Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

48 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

I say this because of the consistenty in the way people have apparently taken these events in their stride and later described what happened in an entertaining but level headed and unsensational manner, just as you have. 

You have no choice, really, but to put some humor into it.  The reality is too difficult to deal with.  My family and I didn't die in Hurricane Andrew even though our house blew in - and it doesn't bear thinking of, what might have been.  So humor is an excellent coping mechanism.  🙂 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Like others, trying to keep up.

gretschwhtfalcon - was the missed port Bodo, on this specific voyage?  No tug to assist is bull. 

To anyone on this awful voyage - this is important.

Missing a port or being late to a port can indicate a mechanical issue with a vessel, especially when there is no weather/dock strike etc.  The history of this particular voyage and the voyage or 2 before is material in this incident.

According to a blog maintained by one of the onboard lecturers Corey Sandler, Bodø was skipped because of heavy winds. (http://sky.coreysandler.com/). Not a mechanical issue. This is no different than when we were on the Sky last year in the Caribbean and had to skip two ports because of sea conditions preventing safe docking. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A passenger onboard has just reported that Torsten Hagen, the owner of Viking cruises has held a meeting onboard to thank his officers and crew for their actions during the emergency. There was a standing ovation for them from the passengers still onboard.

Mr Hagen told them they would have a full reimbursement for this cruise and also offered them another free cruise. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Should have pruned your quote to the part I thought a bit heartless (was thinking the phrase that ends with “faint praise” but chose different words to ensure CCforum censor wouldn’t blip the first word). What concerned me was this “Sure it’s nice. I wouldn’t call it amazing. It’s their job”.  Don’t disagree that it’s “their job” but that isn’t any guarantee. Look at the captain of the Costa Concordia. Just because “it’s their job” shouldn’t detract from our admiration for a job well done. Which the crew of the Sky clearly deserves. 

Ok point taken.  

• Like 1

...Guess some folks would pay for something like that?  More exciting than ANYthing that was on the optional shore excursion list!!!

Viking charges hundreds of dollars for hour-long helicopter excursions in Norway - you got yours for free! [emoji6]
Glad you and your shipmates are safe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

According to a blog maintained by one of the onboard lecturers Corey Sandler, Bodø was skipped because of heavy winds. (http://sky.coreysandler.com/). Not a mechanical issue. This is no different than when we were on the Sky last year in the Caribbean and had to skip two ports because of sea conditions preventing safe docking. 

Thank you very much CharTrav.  This information is not aligned with the earlier post that I quoted about Bodo being missed due to a lack of tugs. These are 2 very different explanations.

A key question will be - did the Sky have mechanical issues before the incident or did the engines suddenly and without warning fail.  This is a huge question and points right at the heart of Viking Ocean corporation.

• Like 1

To anyone on this awful voyage - this is important.

Missing a port or being late to a port can indicate a mechanical issue with a vessel, especially when there is no weather/dock strike etc.  The history of this particular voyage and the voyage or 2 before is material in this incident.

I haven't heard anyone actually ON this cruise refer to it as "awful".
On the contrary, I have heard it called "amazing" and "beautiful."
And there are many reasons a ship may miss a port - weather being the most common.

• Like 4

I've been following for 8 or 9 hours.  I just felt I had to comment, however inane it was.

Edit:

I'll add this.  I live in Newfoundland, near where itineraries dock here in St. John's.  We get similar storms frequently (in the midst of one) and have equally dangerous shorelines.  I'm amazed at what the Norwegian Rescue teams had at their disposal and how well they used it.  We have similar with equally trained personnel but for that volume of people to be removed in those conditions without incident is nothing short of amazing.  I don't think it would have gone so well anywhere else in the world.

Edited by bagadonitz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Thank you very much CharTrav.  This information is not aligned with the earlier post that I quoted about Bodo being missed due to a lack of tugs. These are 2 very different explanations.

A key question will be - did the Sky have mechanical issues before the incident or did the engines suddenly and without warning fail.  This is a huge question and points right at the heart of Viking Ocean corporation.

Just quoting what the captain told us. I know about the high winds there, and, yes, Corey alluded to this as you mentioned, which is what made it so surprising that the captain said about not having tugs. 

Just quoting what the captain told us. I know about the high winds there, and, yes, Corey alluded to this as you mentioned, which is what made it so surprising that the captain said about not having tugs. 
Tugs could have potentially helped docking in the winds, but aren't normally needed. And if there weren't any available, it's likely the port was missed because the ship couldn't dock independently due to the wind AND there were no tugs to assist.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, just_dont said:

I haven't heard anyone actually ON this cruise refer to it as "awful".
On the contrary, I have heard it called "amazing" and "beautiful."
And there are many reasons a ship may miss a port - weather being the most common.

I guess awful refers to the weather.  I suppose.

I have been following this event and tread with great interest.

I am very pleased that everyone safely returned to land and I would like to offer my best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery to the relatively few people who were injured! 

Thank you to all posters that have provided video and factual information! I found this information very impressive! 

This event is unfortunate. This said, I am very pleased and impressed to read about the very professionnal conduct of the crew, of the incredible courage of the emergency response team as well as of the calm and responsible behaviour of the cruise passengers.

I find it reassuring to read that the cruise line is taking all required measures to ensure safety, wellness of passengers as well as providing them support for the return home! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

So I have it to wonder about this fixation by ABoatNerd on the engines and insinuations of a coverup. For all we know the weather and the tugs in Bodø are related. As simple as If winds > x Then #availabletugs = 0. 

My final 2 cents:

1) Weather conditions along the route (not storm center) appeared to be less then 35knts;  well within  safe limits for the Sky. 

2) The problem should be refered to as a propulsion failure due to all engines being offline. My guess is there were only 3 engines available with one out for routine maintenance (standard situation) It is yet to be determined why the others went offline. I doubt there were simultaneous failures in three, so the control systems would be suspect. Bringing them them back online requires workarounds or solving the initial cause and does not happen in a few minutes.

3) The fact that the ship was close to the rocks, it was wise to make a Mayday call as there was imminent danger of loss of life. 

4) Lifeboats. The Sky and probably every ship since the Titanic have over capacity on life boats and life rafts. Not being a mariner I suspect the entire crew is trained on using the inflatable life rafts and since many are involved in launching the lifeboats. the life rafts are their primary escape mechanism. If you don't think the life boats were a risk, a ship headed to aid the Sky had to be abandoned with all 9 crew members choosing not to use the boats and going overboard instead. 

5) Helo  Always risky especially at night but if you noticed on the videos once the Sky was under power and properly positioned it was very stable. If this wasn't being managed by one of the best and experienced rescue organizations in the world. the Captain may not have made the decision to continue to evacuate.

The seamanship involved in keeping a powerless vessel from going into the rocks is as good as it gets, can't wait for the movie. 

Sailed on the Sky summer of 2017 and  booked for November this year.

• Like 14

Insurance and legal entities will investigate the mechanical history of the Sky and the track history of adhering to port schedules. 

Outside the actual event - the question are:

1) Did Viking Ocean know their ship had mechanical issues? 

2) Or did the mechanical issues suddenly, and without warning, just happen on March 23, 2019?

Tugs might have assisted in docking in contrary winds. Most ships can dock without assistance despite wind. The Captain's "tugs" comments will also be investigated.  Notwithstanding, it appears the Captain and crew did a great job in this unfortunate incident.

Guess we will hear in the future.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Insurance and legal entities will investigate the mechanical history of the Sky and the track history of adhering to port schedules. 

Outside the actual event - the question are:

1) Did Viking Ocean know their ship had mechanical issues? 

2) Or did the mechanical issues suddenly, and without warning, just happen on March 23, 2019?

Tugs might have assisted in docking in contrary winds. Most ships can dock without assistance despite wind. The Captain's "tugs" comments will also be investigated.  Notwithstanding, it appears the Captain and crew did a great job in this unfortunate incident.

Guess we will hear in the future.

In case of strong winds especially big and tall cruise ships need support by tugs.