Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

4 minutes ago, sasmmb said:

Watching aftonbladet.se which has a live feed from the port side. Announcement made (sounded like cruise director) that passengers should meet in the atrium at 6:45 and busses will start leaving at 7:00.

That was passengers with flights tonight. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

There are some important differences in examples you cite.

To see Antarctica you MUST sail there - that’s the only way to see it. There are no land trips to Antarctica. In addition, you do it in their summer. Ditto for Greenland & Iceland.

To see Northern Lights you do NOT have to sail to Norway in February/March - you can see them from land in many places in N. America, Iceland and Scandinavia.

It's a spectacular voyage even in rough weather. I haven't been on this particular cruise, but I have sailed greater parts of the Norwegian coast at winter time, and I would recommend it to anyone.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dekksguten said:

It's a spectacular voyage even in rough weather. I haven't been on this particular cruise, but I have sailed greater parts of the Norwegian coast at winter time, and I would recommend it to anyone.  

We're off on our first cruise to the Fjords in just over 4 weeks ……. still looking forward to it :-)

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Haworth said:

We are underway with tugs fore and aft, stairways andcwalkwayscare being cleared and staterooms prepared for our return, we are also about to be fed coffee and sandwiches, finally we will be given the opportunity to see the damage to the ship once in calm waters

"...about to be fed coffee and sandwiches...."   This is amazing, and speaks to the commitment and professionalism of Viking.  Although the crew has been through hell and back, the galley staff still has the ability and desire to make sandwiches for passengers and fellow crew members. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, sasmmb said:

Watching aftonbladet.se which has a live feed from the port side. Announcement made (sounded like cruise director) that passengers should meet in the atrium at 6:45 and busses will start leaving at 7:00.

Direct link https://www.aftonbladet.se/tv/a/282446 2 commercials and then continuous feed. Sometimes they switch to the port cam from other side.

The message said that if they desired, passengers could get off the ship to explore the town UNLESS they were booked on flights leaving tonight (which, hooray to Viking for accomplishing).  Those passengers would be getting off at 6:45 and leaving at 7:00.   I imagine some pax may be spending the night on the ship (or in a hotel) and leaving tomorrow morning.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, pretzlaff said:

On Royal and Celebrity there seem to be an entire deck of lifeboats.  I see very few on this one.  Doesn't look like all pax could have gotten in lifeboats had they needed to. 

I’m certain there’s a seat for everyone in the lifeboat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Actually, that was the point I responded to - that it was stated it should be accepted as part and parcel ref: "If you choose to cruise you sometimes have to put up with … ships having blackouts occasionally. "

So yes, someone is asking you to "accept that." Which means you're arguing with your own position...

have sailed on 34 cruises on various lines. Out of those 34 have experienced brief power losses (less that 15 minutes) twice. fortunately neither time was in a critical situation.

so yes it does happen.

21 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

To see Antarctica you MUST sail there - that’s the only way to see it. There are no land trips to Antarctica. In addition, you do it in their summer. Ditto for Greenland & Iceland.

To see Northern Lights you do NOT have to sail to Norway in February/March - you can see them from land in many places in N. America, Iceland and Scandinavia.

You can also see them in the Highlands of Scotland, I’ve seen them from my garden.

1 hour ago, Gail & Dan said:

no set time they need to find answers for sure, 

the fact 4 independent engines  fail seems odd or a engineering failure 

There are more than 4 engines, including the electrical motors.

No one has said that 4 engines fail, it has only been stated that th ship lost power.

Could have been electrical circuitry - who knows I don't and you don't.

1 hour ago, Sam.Seattle said:

CONGRATULATIONS! 

CAPTAIN AND CREW FOR ARRIVING BACK IN PORT

WITH NO LOST LIFES....

TRADEGY ADVERTED !

Was it the captain’s skill or luck that the seas cooperated. None the less of course we’re glad everyone is safe. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

True. But I’d rather see them on this trip. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PEverdell said:

Kudos to the captain and crew of the Viking Sky for their quick and accurate response. As a former passenger on the Viking Sky and a USCG petty officer on an icebreaker, I have traveled in a "football shaped" 310' vessel through the Gulf of Alaska in a March gale and around the horn from the Antarctic in rough seas. Ships can handle these seas but if the engines go, the ship can lose steerage, fall off and hit seas broadside.Yikes! Dropping the anchor to prevent the ship from drifting onto the rocks was the best alternative and to immediately begin helicopter evacuations was I think correct considering the ship might hit the shore if the anchor should slip(which I read it did at first). I am sure at the same time they were struggling to get the engines going again. Thankfully they did get three going and were able to head out under enough power. It also looks like from the videos that the crew was present and actively supporting everyone. I certainly hope all those injured will recover and all passengers heal from the experience. Anyway, we need to be always reminded that whenever we travel by whatever means it is always an "adventure" as this cruise certainly was.

I am sure we will all wait to hear the verdict on the engines. I still wonder having looked at videos of the interior of many cruise ships during a storm (not just these latest videos of the Explorers lounge) why things like big heavy planters and ceiling panels aren't bolted and secured well enough for heavy rolls.

I still remain a Viking "groupie" and my wife and I look forward to traveling on Jupiter around the horn this January, 2020. Can't wait.

Thanks for your service.  We love our Coasties!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Not sure why you continue to think that 4 engines "failed."  History of cruise ship power failures tells us that most of the time (not all) the failure is due to electrical bus issues such as a major failure in a power panel.  The Viking Sky, like most modern cruise ships, uses electric motors to drive their props.  The "engines" are simply large power generators that provide the necessary electric power to drive the engines and other systems.  The engines must be housed in at least two separate and independent engine rooms.  Yes, in theory all 4 can fail due to a major fuel contamination issue, but these fuel systems have some redundancy built-in which makes that unlikely.  And even if a fuel bunker were to somehow get contaminated there are multiple fuel bunkers.    It is too bad that ChengKP75 is not around (he is apparently at sea on a tanker) since he is the true expert here on CC....when it comes to these engineering issues.

I seem to recall when Carnival had a ship completely disabled in the Gulf of Mexico it was due to a major electrical failure.  There was some talk about changing SOLAS standards to require new ship designs to have some real redundancy in their electrical systems/panels....but not sure if any changes have actually been finalized.  Where is Chengkp75 when we need him :).

Hank

carnival ship had fire that took out main distribution panel. A Cunard ship lost power and had to get towed back to port in the med a few years ago. Again it was a problem with power distribution.

5 minutes ago, DebbieMacG said:

You can also see them in the Highlands of Scotland, I’ve seen them from my garden.

Scottish person here - went all the way to Finland to see them - saw just the green lights kind.  Then later in the year (about 4 years back) saw an amazing display of all colours from my balcony overlooking the sea and mountains in the distance - Was the most amazing thing I have ever seen - And live mid Scoltand on the coast south west of Glasgow.

Edited by fragilek
SP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I am afraid you are getting into an area that you apparently have little knowledge.  The minimum lifeboat capacity (including large inflatable life rafts) are dictated by the International Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) regulations which must be complied with by all modern cruise ships.  These regs are very complex and cover all kinds of safety issues.  All cruise ships actually have extra lifeboat capacity (to cover the situation when some lifeboats are damaged or not usable for other reasons).  Ships also are certified to carry a specific number of souls which is why many cruise ships are unable to use all their extra berths (3rd 4th in a cabin) on a voyage in order to make sure they do not have too many folks for the boats/rafts.

My knowledge of SOLAS is rusty but I seem to recall ships must be able to handle at least 75% of all souls in rigid lifeboats with life rafts (these are very seaworthy and often contained in the large white cans you will see on the outside of the decks) having the capacity for the remainder of folks.

Getting into the lifeboats is another issue and one which has caused DW and I some minor concern.  We posted earlier that we got caught in a Hurricane when cruising on the old Celebrity Meridian back in 1992!  That cruise was just a simple itinerary going from NYC to Bermuda.  Hurricane Bob came up the east coast and took a course that was not predicted by any of the weather folks.  The morning after leaving NYC (Aug 92) we awoke to seas well over 10 meters and hurricane winds.  At the time it was obvious that using lifeboats would have been near impossible since the fierce winds would have made it impossible for folks to even stand at their stations to board the boats.  We were in that storm for about 12 hours and did fine.  Another ship owned by RCCL (Nordic Prince) was also caught in the storm and suffered significant damage (including a large dent in her hull) and many of her passengers chose to immediately fly home...once that ship reached Bermuda.  

Hank

Funny, but we were on that sailing a week later and the crew told us all about the hurricane!  We had extremely calm water and bright, sunny, hot days each and every day.  Loved that ship......small but very elegant and the food back then was to die for.  We loved that Celebrity had their own private, free ferry boat to Hamilton numerous times per day.  Ahhhh, memories of what cruising used to be like back in the day.

1 hour ago, Lottie A said:

Really? My granddaughter uses emoji's ....I don't tend to at my advanced age but let's move on. 

From a passenger onboard....they will have room service food tonight. Deck 7 is completely closed off due to damage and the Ents team will be doing a Beatles show tonight. Now that's what I call "the show must go on"! Well Done again Viking. 

First song "It's Been A Hard Days Night".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, kathy49 said:

Yes i cannot quote but they have had issues.

As has the Star and the Sea. Could someone with marine engineering knowledge try and answer why Viking has had at least 4 engine failures with their ships in the last 3 1/2 years. They seem to be rather ‘unlucky’.

31 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

not quite there are a couple of groups that fly people in. You can even book a day trip from Chile by air.

7 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

You can even book a day trip from Chile by air.

Sure - if you want to spend $5,500/pp for 1 day; or you can get a better deal at $6,500/pp for an overnight.

Enjoy 🙂

Edited by Paulchili

3 hours ago, PEverdell said:

Kudos to the captain and crew of the Viking Sky for their quick and accurate response. As a former passenger on the Viking Sky and a USCG petty officer on an icebreaker, I have traveled in a "football shaped" 310' vessel through the Gulf of Alaska in a March gale and around the horn from the Antarctic in rough seas.... Dropping the anchor to prevent the ship from drifting onto the rocks was the best alternative....

I'm curious about the Sky's anchor in this situation. It was dropped on the lee side.   What factors determine which side in heavy seas ?  

• Like 1