Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

I was discussing this incident with a friend.  He was watching CNN, and said there were children onboard.  I told him I thought children couldn't sail Viking Ocean.  Am I correct?  I thought maybe if there were children, they were possibly sailing with their officer parent?

Roz

Can hear the cruise director and sounds like he is saying anyone who wants to go ashore can do so. And then something about those with flights tonight that the buses are leaving at 7 (I think that’s what I heard) which would be in a little under an hour. 

19 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

There are more than 4 engines, including the electrical motors.

No one has said that 4 engines fail, it has only been stated that th ship lost power.

Could have been electrical circuitry - who knows I don't and you don't.

I didnt Clam to know But thank you for the post thank you  Insightful !!

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

I was discussing this incident with a friend.  He was watching CNN, and said there were children onboard.  I told him I thought children couldn't sail Viking Ocean.  Am I correct?  I thought maybe if there were children, they were possibly sailing with their officer parent?

Roz

That would be the only way but I find that doubtful 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

I'm curious about the Sky's anchor in this situation. It was dropped on the lee side.   What factors determine which side in heavy seas ?  

I don't know the answer to your question, but in Norwegian media it has been reported that BOTH anchors were dropped - so maybe one on each side because of the rough sea? ( I am just guessing).

• Like 1

So grateful that everyone is safe, and hope that those who were injured will recover quickly. Thanks to all both on the Sky and off who contributed to this outcome.

In our experience, the Viking crew is remarkable under normal circumstances, but it seems they can really rise to the occasion when necessary. I very much look forward to expressing my admiration in person when we (fingers crossed) sail on her in the Baltic on April 26!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Roz said:

Roz

The minimum age to sail onViking Ocean Cruises' worldwide sailings is 18.

Wow - read through the first 17 pages @ 2:00 AM AK this morning.  Left off when they suspended the Helo Evac.   Just finished the final 8 pages.  

Our hearts & thoughts go out to all involved.    Wishing a speedy recovery for all who were injured!!  I wonder how long it will take to fly everyone out.   My phone has not been cooperating w/ pictures & video.   Will need to look again when have access to laptop.  

19 hours ago, Hanoj said:

Wondering why Viking Sky left Tromso with this storm forecast:

Ryan Maue  has a PhD In Meteorology

Verified account

@RyanMaue
Follow Follow @RyanMaue
More
Viking Cruise ship evacuating passengers off coast of Norway -- engine trouble. They are lucky ...

The ship sailed in worst possible area of "bomb cyclone" storm ...
Hurricane force winds + Maximum wave height of 60-80 feet.

Prior to sailing, the Master will have assessed the weather conditions enroute, which will include local synopsis and forecasts, and will also receive weather routing information from professional routing experts.

I didn't look at the weather, but noted you quoted forecasts of Hurricane force winds (64 kts+ using the Beaufort Scale) and seas of 60-80'. From what I read yesterday the ship was experiencing 38 kt winds - Gale force 8 - and about 20' seas. Therefore the ship must have avoided the centre of the depression, which I noted was a rather low 961mb.

Without the engine failure, those seas were nothing the ship couldn't handle comfortably.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lottie A said:

Really? My granddaughter uses emoji's ....I don't tend to at my advanced age but let's move on. 

From a passenger onboard....they will have room service food tonight. Deck 7 is completely closed off due to damage and the Ents team will be doing a Beatles show tonight. Now that's what I call "the show must go on"! Well Done again Viking. 

i honestly don't know if this post is a joke but the last thing i would want is to stay on that ship one minute longer. There are hotels and I am certain they have the option to go there and they have arranged flights etc.

Looks like folks are coming down the gangway pulling suitcases, camera is too far away to tell if passengers or crew, but looks like they are going back and forth so I suspect crew. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

"...about to be fed coffee and sandwiches...."   This is amazing, and speaks to the commitment and professionalism of Viking.  Although the crew has been through hell and back, the galley staff still has the ability and desire to make sandwiches for passengers and fellow crew members. 

Of course they are going to feed them and help them...they were on a luxury cruise with a number of days left until Tues.  Don't think they are going to just walk away. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

i honestly don't know if this post is a joke but the last thing i would want is to stay on that ship one minute longer. There are hotels and I am certain they have the option to go there and they have arranged flights etc.

Molde is a small town, there won't be hotel rooms for everyone, so a lot of them would have to go to nearby Ålesund which would include a ferry. I might elect to stay onboard the anchored Sky if I was there. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, G.M.T. said:

There are more than 4 engines, including the electrical motors.

No one has said that 4 engines fail, it has only been stated that th ship lost power.

Could have been electrical circuitry - who knows I don't and you don't.

Not true.  And, not true.

From many press reports - this one from VG in Norway (translated):

The crew eventually started three out of four engines, and the ship sailed on to Molde, assisted by several tugboats.

18 hours ago, zitsky said:

Is the Mediterranean known for bad weather, large waves etc?  What is considered a good time to sail the Mediterranean versus a bad time?

A little off topic, but have spent many months in the Meddy. Experienced everything from flat calm to 40 kt storm, when we had a gangway washed overboard on SS Uganda. Worst weather was always Jan/Feb.

7 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

It’s not a joke.  The ship is docked and I’m assuming it is secure and safe.  I’m confident that Viking will get the passengers home as quickly as possible.  Staying aboard is a good option considering the winter weather conditions and limited availability of hotel rooms and restaurants in Molde.

• Like 6

Sorry I haven't answered the Batsignal, down in Boston with grandson, too much of a dinosaur to make long posts on the phone.  Heidi13 and SeaDog43 doing a good job on the operational side. I'll be back home tonight and will try to answer as much as possible.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Dekksguten said:

Molde is a small town, there won't be hotel rooms for everyone, so a lot of them would have to go to nearby Ålesund which would include a ferry. I might elect to stay onboard the anchored Sky if I was there. 

I agree.   The ship is now safely in port.   The cabins, depending on the damage, can be cleaned up rather quickly.   I would rather stay on board until flights have been arranged rather then moving  to a hotel then having to move again.    

• Like 7

I am currently watching live coverage in Molde from Norwegian TV on www.nrk.no if you go there now clicking on the red "Direkte" button toward the top of the page will get you to the coverage.

If this has ended by the time you read this there are some links on the site to interviews with passengers that I am sure will be up for some time. 

It is brilliant that all those interviewed for the TV have said how amazing the crew were at looking after the passengers. We often forget that, like cabin crew on the airlines, the ship's crew are there for our safely as well as our comfort.

All credit to the crew who clearly did such a great job even though they were in the same difficult conditions themselves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1