Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

9 minutes ago, FredT said:

Sorry, but I agree with  notladjr.   You have far more danger driving to the grocery store than you do getting on a cruise ship (or airplane, or train) While no one is expecting you (or anyone) to "accept that",  to obsess over an exceedingly rare (and bizarre) incident is what is absurd.

Actually, that was the point I responded to - that it was stated it should be accepted as part and parcel ref: "If you choose to cruise you sometimes have to put up with … ships having blackouts occasionally. "

So yes, someone is asking you to "accept that." Which means you're arguing with your own position...

Edited by The_Big_M

9 minutes ago, FredT said:

Sorry, but I agree with  notladjr.   You have far more danger driving to the grocery store than you do getting on a cruise ship (or airplane, or train) While no one is expecting you (or anyone) to "accept that",  to obsess over an exceedingly rare (and bizarre) incident is what is absurd.

Non sequitur

• Like 1

what takes out 4 engines water in the intake or a fuel problem as one poster suggests :

the vessels where fairly new and have a diesel-electric drive system. In both cases it was bad weather with a heavy rolling ship. My feeling is that fuel oil got mixed with available water, air and tank residue causing a foam type slurry that upsets fuel filters and centrifuges. Let's wait and see what the investigations will show

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Where are you seeing that? She looks normal.

1300x450_170828_CRUISE.jpg?width=1008&he

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 8.16.27 AM.png

I think they’re looking at the black shapes in the windows and thinking they look broken. It took me a second as well to realize that those are people standing there (or furniture)! At least that’s what it looks like to me.

Edited by SeaofStars
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, crimmj said:

Random question - how do the travellers get all their belongings back in a situation like this?

In our situation, the contents of our cabin were packed and shipped to us.  Arrived about 2 weeks after the event. Contents of the safe were collected by ship personnel and distributed to passengers prior to flying home.  But, I imagine every situation is different. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

In our situation, the contents of our cabin were packed and shipped to us.  Arrived about 2 weeks after the event. Contents of the safe were collected by ship personnel and distributed to passengers prior to flying home.  But, I imagine every situation is different. 

The passengers that was evacuated are to go onbard and get their belongings and pack their things.

Embassy representativs from USA and Canada is at the port. Planes have been chartered to take them to Oslo and to London

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, broberts said:

Do you have more knowledge of the situation than those making these decisions?

Don't be ridiculous. Good grief....some people!

I merely watched the Molde webcam....in fact I have been watching it for several hours and I saw how Sky was paused for a few minutes and the Fjord ferry sailed in ahead of her. 

In fact, it was said a bit "tongue in cheek".

I forget that some people don't get "irony". 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, uromac said:

Live reporting on Viking Sky arrival on webcam - wish I understood Norwegian! 🙂

https://direkte.vg.no/studio/nyhetsdoegnet#!verbatimId=5c976bd65152f7e35da7e372

At least when they do interviews with Americans and Brits, it's in English.  Good to see some of those evacuated are on he pier to welcome friends ashore. .  

16 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

Is there not the possibility that safe back in port they can go to their cabins and get their belongings?  I guess I am not savvy on the extent or danger in the cabin area other than they wanted them in certain spots while out on the open seas.

11 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

Don't be ridiculous. Good grief....some people!

I merely watched the Molde webcam....in fact I have been watching it for several hours and I saw how Sky was paused for a few minutes and the Fjord ferry sailed in ahead of her. 

In fact, it was said a bit "tongue in cheek".

I forget that some people don't get "irony". 

An emoji is usually helpful in establishing the tone of a comment. As it was offered there was no context to suggest anything other than the plain meaning of the sentence.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 3