Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

best guess is that they will disembark all the guests over the next 24-48hrs and after an assessment has been done by the Norwegian authourities and clearance given to sail, they will no doubt head for Bergen or a larger port between there and Molde where the repairs can be carried out.

i recall when the Sea was laid up with technical issues after departing Barcelona, they ended up back there and stayed put when they were closer to smaller French ports, which would have been more difficult to work with from a logistics perspective.

on a side note, i'm disappointed by what i've seen as well of some of the videos clearly being shot by crew who were out on deck...very reckless behaviour to say the least!!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

In that case maybe I'd prefer the corridor.. I do hope this will be a talking subject at a BBQ for your family soon! 

In emergency conditions aboard ship, I’d prefer to remain where the Captain and crew instruct me to wait. As passengers, during an emergency, it is our responsibility to show up at our muster station promptly, and follow instructions from the crew.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Hanoj said:

Gives an interesting insight into why other cruise lines have not shown “guests this part of the world like we (Viking) can. Norway’s landscapes in the winter are truly magnificent.” At least not this time of year. Quote is from Chairman Hagen commented to media when plans for this itinerary were unveiled. Can’t help but wonder if this is hubris from a neophyte ocean cruise company all “go, go, go” to reinvent this industry. 

Our first cruise was on the Royal Viking Sea in the mid-1980’s. On the 2016 Viking Sea shakedown cruise, Karine Hagen told me her father, Tor Hagen, was CEO of Royal Viking at that time, or thereabouts. He’s a former McKinsey guy, so maybe a wee bit of hubris, but certainly not a neophyte to ocean cruising. His leadership and experience in the ocean cruising world certainly justifies any wee bit of hubris.

Following this potential tragedy at sea, I am reminded why Viking is at the top of the heap...they take very good care of their passengers, regardless of the situation.

We’re booked to board the Viking Sky on May 6 - Stockholm to Copenhagen - and are still cautiously optimistic we will be sailing in a few short weeks, if Viking leadership thinks it safe.

06798B38-6333-4060-9C28-13A2A42C5457.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Prior to sailing, the Master will have assessed the weather conditions enroute, which will include local synopsis and forecasts, and will also receive weather routing information from professional routing experts.

I didn't look at the weather, but noted you quoted forecasts of Hurricane force winds (64 kts+ using the Beaufort Scale) and seas of 60-80'. From what I read yesterday the ship was experiencing 38 kt winds - Gale force 8 - and about 20' seas. Therefore the ship must have avoided the centre of the depression, which I noted was a rather low 961mb.

Without the engine failure, those seas were nothing the ship couldn't handle comfortably.

@Heide13, from your experience, which contributes greatly and I’m appreciative, in your opinion does the decision Hurtigruten made to keep its ships, though smaller and serving a different purpose, in port the same day impugn Viking’s decision to sail in these circumstances?

I expect all manner of allegations will be be made in lawsuits, which depending on their extent and how settled, we may never have the full story. I’m particularly concerned about the numerous mechanical/electrical/propulsion issues Viking’s been having with their comparatively newer ships. We sailed Homelands last May/June (it was fabulous) Cruise the Med aboard the Star soon. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

"...about to be fed coffee and sandwiches...."   This is amazing, and speaks to the commitment and professionalism of Viking.  Although the crew has been through hell and back, the galley staff still has the ability and desire to make sandwiches for passengers and fellow crew members. 

Sure it's nice.  I wouldn't call it amazing.  It's their job.  Now I would make sure I leave a big tip for the crew.  I think we agree on that.

• Like 1

I was one of those airlifted around 8 last night The most terrifying experience of my life. The Norwegian people have been amazing. Can’t say enough about the crews of the helicopter and the Sky, but also no words to describe how well we were treated last night by the Red Cross and all the other emergency personnel. Had a meeting with Mr. Hagen earlier today. Prefer not to go into details on that at this time but he did say that the general plan is for us to get back on the ship to pack our things.  In his rather humorous way he said “I know I’d prefer to not have other people packing my things!” So we’ll see what happens with our flights. Despite this terrible incident, the journey was amazing. Had 3 sightings of the Northern Lights - the best being the night before we arrived to Narvik. Really nice showing right from the decks. Scenery was incredible throughout the trip. Thanks to all for your prayers and words of support. It was quite the experience onboard yesterday. 

• Like 41
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Communications Director of The Norwegian Coastal Administration has come out supporting the decision of the Mater to go on with the cruise saying there was no reason a ship like the Sky wouldn't be able to handle te conditions. 

Obviously something went wrong, but I don't think the decision of Hurtigruten to not sail their much smaller ships would hold any bearing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lackcreativity said:

So grateful that everyone is safe, and hope that those who were injured will recover quickly. Thanks to all both on the Sky and off who contributed to this outcome.

In our experience, the Viking crew is remarkable under normal circumstances, but it seems they can really rise to the occasion when necessary. I very much look forward to expressing my admiration in person when we (fingers crossed) sail on her in the Baltic on April 26!

As will we when we step aboard shortly after you step off. We look forward to hearing about your Baltic cruise.

17 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

I am currently watching live coverage in Molde from Norwegian TV on www.nrk.no if you go there now clicking on the red "Direkte" button toward the top of the page will get you to the coverage.

If this has ended by the time you read this there are some links on the site to interviews with passengers that I am sure will be up for some time. 

It is brilliant that all those interviewed for the TV have said how amazing the crew were at looking after the passengers. We often forget that, like cabin crew on the airlines, the ship's crew are there for our safely as well as our comfort.

All credit to the crew who clearly did such a great job even though they were in the same difficult conditions themselves.

thanks for that site...boy it is a real tribute to the crew and Norway in general how this was handled.  What I find amazing is they are all mentioning how calm the passengers were...I think that is due to the crew leadership and the fact that most if not all on this ship are very seasoned travelers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Can hear the cruise director and sounds like he is saying anyone who wants to go ashore can do so. And then something about those with flights tonight that the buses are leaving at 7 (I think that’s what I heard) which would be in a little under an hour. 

some just need to fly back to England and I am sure they have charters for them. The ones to US will have to overnight and go thru more. For me just give me a hotel room...but everyone is different.

Despite the distress I felt this morning when I read about what happened yesterday, I was glad to read both here and on the Norwegian news site (provided earlier in this thread) that while it's not "all's well that ends well" things weren't worse and that the crew of the Sky came through with their usual professionalism. Now let's keep in our prayers and thoughts those who were injured yesterday. 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 2

Fantastic how Viking took us to a local mall (closed on Sundays so they opened just for us) to buy whatever supplies we needed since at the time it was not known if we’d be able to get back on the ship or not. Hoping to hear more tomorrow on flights to US. Safe travels to all leaving this evening. 

• Like 10

Someone was asking about lifeboat deployment on the Costa Concordia.  There were 3 lifeboats that could not be deployed due to the severe list.  But 23 of 26 were deployed plus the life rafts. There was a very hard time getting off the ship into rafts and boats after they were dropped.  and the seas were calm. The boats and rafts had 125% capacity total.

If you look at the area around lifeboats you will see some large cannisters, often in clusters in racks. These are the life rafts. What I don't know is how people are expected to get in these since they drop into the ocean.

I think this incident will cause some serious thoughts about emergencies in storm conditions.  It is clear that you cannot drop life boats when the ship is rolling side to side as Sky was doing. The boats would be slammed against the ship and thrown into the waves.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Yes two thumbs up for Norway's rescue and hospital crews

Indeed. Their's was a masterful operation with nary a glitch. Made me wonder what the experience would have been like in other parts of the world.

• Like 4

Airlift was undoubtedly the best way but sure hope to never have to do it again. That churning water sure looked a LONG way down there while hanging with just that small belt around the waist. Amazimg experience in the helicopter as well. Quite a view of the Sky on the way up to the chopper. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Sure it's nice.  I wouldn't call it amazing.  It's their job.  Now I would make sure I leave a big tip for the crew.  I think we agree on that.

That's a little heartless don't you think? 

• Like 10

I've just found this. Sorry if it has been posted before but all credit to the people who went over and above to help. Listen to the end of this …. a passenger not talking compensation etc etc but being truly grateful to those that helped. I would be proud to be Norwegian tonight - they have done their country proud.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

i honestly don't know if this post is a joke but the last thing i would want is to stay on that ship one minute longer. There are hotels and I am certain they have the option to go there and they have arranged flights etc.

I’d stay on board, no issues...

• Like 3

The crew was highly professional throughout the ordeal. Even brought hundreds of heavy, warm blankets as we waited on the stairs close to the open door on deck 8. And even passed around plates of cookies from World Cafe while we were waiting.  Calm and orderliness was maintIned by all involved, though things did get a little crazy when water came crashing through the dining room window. 

• Like 9

18 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Can you, Got2Cruise, or anyone else with more nautical knowledge explain more about the lifeboats?  I had always thought that the modern lifeboats were designed to withstand just about anything -- tossing around, flipping over and righting themselves... all of that.  Obviously I was misinformed.  So are the lifeboats unusable in weather like this?

Contrary to the previous post, the survival craft (lifeboats & liferafts) are NOT useless. During the entire situation they will have been available for use, but in those conditions, it would have been both challenging and uncomfortable.

The simplified Coles notes version of lifeboat launching - with the ship rolling the boats would be securely "Bowsed" to the ship to keep the boats alongside during loading. Loading on a rolling ship would be challenging, as would the launching. The boat is lowered to the water and the modern release gear should release the boat from the Falls. Not sure of SOLAS changes since I retired, but all lifeboats I sailed with were not self-righting, but have lines to perform this role. However lifeboats have sufficient buoyancy that they will float even when filled to the gunnels with water.

Is it a dangerous operation in those conditions, most definitely - Yes, which is why I assume the Master will have opted for helo ops. However, if required, the survival craft could be used, as a last resort.

I have lowered lifeboats and liferafts at sea in 30 kt winds and 8 - 10 ft waves, but unlike the Viking Sky Master, I did have full use of props/thrusters to assist the launch crews..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

If you look at the area around lifeboats you will see some large cannisters, often in clusters in racks. These are the life rafts. What I don't know is how people are expected to get in these since they drop into the ocean.

This explains it (from Norwegian Star):

DSCN0795.thumb.jpeg.75134c7841517518d22e89c94a6f24e8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3