$50 deposit non refundable?

sunsetme

I have been told what you lose if you cancel is $50 per person and the balance of what is sitting there (prior to the final payment date) is available to be used on a future cruise. If I book a cruise far into the future our PVP only puts it in my name so that if we have to cancel we only lose $50 and not $100.00. 

31 minutes ago, jdechter said:

anyone know?

Only if you book Early Saver fare.

Past Passenger and other fares do not have that feature....neither do they have price protection after final payment.

You get a little, you give a little.

Exactly what bakersdozen12 said. The $50 deposit is tied to Early Saver rates. At any time there is a price drop and you want that price drop, you will have to pay the full deposit. If you need to cancel, you will lose $50pp deposit. If you have put any other money down, that will be held for 2 years for another cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

Exactly what bakersdozen12 said. The $50 deposit is tied to Early Saver rates. At any time there is a price drop and you want that price drop, you will have to pay the full deposit.

Unless the lower price drop happens to also have a $50 or $49 deposit component tied to it. In which case you luck out.

Otherwise you have to deposit at the amount of deposit tied to the lower cruise rate.

3 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Exactly what bakersdozen12 said. The $50 deposit is tied to Early Saver rates. At any time there is a price drop and you want that price drop, you will have to pay the full deposit. If you need to cancel, you will lose $50pp deposit. If you have put any other money down, that will be held for 2 years for another cruise.

And this is exactly the reason why I never put any additional money down until around the final payment date. I would hate to have something come up and then have my extra funds held by carnival instead of having the money in my pocket. 

1 hour ago, Doggielover68 said:

And this is exactly the reason why I never put any additional money down until around the final payment date. I would hate to have something come up and then have my extra funds held by carnival instead of having the money in my pocket. 

I thought anything over and above the deposit amount was refunded if you cancelled before final payment?

6 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I thought anything over and above the deposit amount was refunded if you cancelled before final payment?

Not with Early Saver. Too many attachments to your money is why we do not select this option when booking.

8 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

It is, but remember that they are talking about the full deposit amount, not the reduced deposit amount.  According to ES rules, there is a $50 penalty for cancelling and the remainder of the deposit is held as a future cruise credit.  All other funds paid over the full deposit amount are refunded.

We had a short cruise booked last year that we had to cancel. It was an early saver rate and had a $50pp deposit, so when we can cancelled we lost $100 with the $50pp penalty. A  little later I got an e-mail from Carnival confirming our cancellation and offering us $50 of our deposit to be used as a future cruise credit which we used towards paying for our cruise on the Sunshine this year.

On 3/27/2019 at 4:25 PM, cellfree said:

I have been told what you lose if you cancel is $50 per person and the balance of what is sitting there (prior to the final payment date) is available to be used on a future cruise. If I book a cruise far into the future our PVP only puts it in my name so that if we have to cancel we only lose $50 and not $100.00. 

I am booked as a solo on the Panorama. Even though the early saver promo at the time was for a $50.00 deposit, I still had to pay $100.00, same as if there were 2 people in the cabin. I was surprised I had to pay that. I just hope that if I have to cancel, they will hold $50.00 of that for a future cruise

On 3/27/2019 at 4:25 PM, cellfree said: