Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

22 minutes ago, DerekB said:

I am not sure if this is an ominous sign or just sold out...but now no sailings are availably until May 26th.

Nevermind they are back again. I think something changed with the searches because now it excludes the capability to search for April cruises on Oasis. 

7 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the site that we can see where the ship is at all times? We would like to see  exactly when Oasis leaves for Spain.

There are several.  My go to site is marinetraffic.com.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Expected.  I'm sure the insurance carriers will also launch their own investigation and so will the principal owners of the shipyard, Royal and Carnival.  They likely already know, or at least have a general idea of what caused it.    

From what I've recently learned here from the chief, the cruise lines and ship yards are essentially self-insured. At least that's the impression I got. I don't know the track record of the Bahamian government holding the shipyard accountable to their safety regs. The article just says that the government was advised that the safety procedures were in place at the time, but there have been concerns in the past. Whatever that means, I don't know.

33 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

We spoke to a rep on the phone who advised Oasis suffered damage to the underside of the ship. So take it as you will based on the source. 

When the source is a phone rep I take what they say with a grain of salt. The phone reps seem to be divided between Guatemala and Jamaica. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if you can use your cruise credit for celebrity cruises? The 4-7 sailing was supposed to be our first and we're trying to potentially parlay the credit, plus what we'll be refunded into a European cruise. Celebrity seems to have quite a few more options compared to RCCL. 

10 minutes ago, Pratique said:

From what I've recently learned here from the chief, the cruise lines and ship yards are essentially self-insured. At least that's the impression I got. I don't know the track record of the Bahamian government holding the shipyard accountable to their safety regs. The article just says that the government was advised that the safety procedures were in place at the time, but there have been concerns in the past. Whatever that means, I don't know.

Very possibly self insured.  

The government has to display that it is doing something.  No fatalities despite a pretty significant and serious event is a great outcome.

As someone who works in industrial manufacturing and surface mining there is extensive training and protocols in place to avoid workplace injuries and fatalities yet they do occur from time to time.  Every death or injury is an opportunity to learn and make the environment safer but in any industrial setting all risk of injury can never be eliminated.

Edited by twangster

i googled Cadiz, Spain in maps and you can see a cruise ship in one of their dry docks being worked on. its either a salvage job or a rebuild... it looks very extensive. plenty of room in the dock too, probably where Oasis is going to dock as the other one is much smaller

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C%C3%A1diz,+Spain/@36.5270082,-6.2789108,283m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0xd0dd25724ec240f:0x40463fd8ca03b00!8m2!3d36.5270612!4d-6.2885962

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

...there is extensive training and protocols in place to avoid workplace injuries and fatalities yet they do occur from time to time.  Every death or injury is an opportunity to learn and make the environment safer but in any industrial setting all risk of injury can never be eliminated.

My experience is the same in the U.S. OSHA inspections telling us railings are too low, yellow stripes in the wrong place, stuff like that. To some extent it's a moving target. Something that was OK 10 years ago, not necessarily is any longer. The article says that the government was unable to confirm whether changes to the safety codes last year were put into place. Maybe they were, maybe not. I just wonder who's watching the hen house down there.

Well, even though all of this happened, we have been able to secure a new cruise on Harmony of the Seas (which looks way more fun than Oasis was, even though I loved Oasis) on June 2nd. Travel agent already booked the suites and once the refund and FCC hits, we will use that. 

All hope is not lost!

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, belle19 said:

i googled Cadiz, Spain in maps and you can see a cruise ship in one of their dry docks being worked on. its either a salvage job or a rebuild... it looks very extensive. plenty of room in the dock too, probably where Oasis is going to dock as the other one is much smaller

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C%C3%A1diz,+Spain/@36.5270082,-6.2789108,283m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0xd0dd25724ec240f:0x40463fd8ca03b00!8m2!3d36.5270612!4d-6.2885962

Maybe Carnival Sunrise (formerly Triumph).It's suppose to arrive to Norfolk by the end of April/beginning of May. But comparing images it doesn't seem the same ship ...

Edit: the picture in google maps was a Tui Ship, maybe Discovery or Explorer, not the carnival one that arrived 2 weeks ago ;)

Edited by framboesa

14 minutes ago, belle19 said:

2 minutes ago, framboesa said:

Maybe Carnival Sunrise (formerly Triumph).It's suppose to arrive to Norfolk by the end of April/beginning of May

That is not a live satellite photo.  Google map photos are not live photos.

17 minutes ago, belle19 said:

that is obviously a Vision class ship, it has a VCL and no outdoor Solarium or helipad so it's not a Radiance or Freedom, Voyager class ship.

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

That is not a live satellite photo.  Google map photos are not live photos.

yes I know, but it was a recent photo. The ship was a TUI one; Carnival is there at the moment. I'm not sure if there is enough space for 2 ships... :/

7 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

Well, even though all of this happened, we have been able to secure a new cruise on Harmony of the Seas (which looks way more fun than Oasis was, even though I loved Oasis) on June 2nd. Travel agent already booked the suites and once the refund and FCC hits, we will use that. 

All hope is not lost!

Well. you get Grease instead of Cats! Glad it worked out for you. I was on Harmony in January. With each new Oasis class they have learned something new from the past ones. 

22 minutes ago, belle19 said:

That’s the old splendour of the seas, now a TUI ship I believe... was a long time ago that was in Cadiz 

Just now, Charles4515 said:

Well. you get Grease instead of Cats! Glad it worked out for you. I was on Harmony in January. With each new Oasis class they have learned something new from the past ones. 

I am excited for Grease. My wife is a CATS person but I enjoy Grease. I am also looking forward to SUSHI! Only other ship locally I have been on with sushi was Anthem Of The Seas

image.png.352cca01e865ee94ed7be8ebafbcf259.png

image.png.46b502ea9e7113686217dc173f98407b.png

So looking at this itinerary on crew-center it shows her being "at sea" until May 3 and then back on normal scheduled sailings starting May 5th.  When would it have time for the repairs in Cadiz?  If it truly doesn't get to Spain for repairs until May 3 I don't see how the May 5th sailing will happen.  Wouldn't it have to be in dry dock in Cadiz at least a week (or at leas more than 2 days?)

Edited by aruss

So the next issue is ...whats going to be the trickle down effect with near term scheduled dry docks at GB shipyard.....such as the Celebrity Equinox which is scheduled to go into GB in just a few weeks for a month long extensive enhancement.

The Grand Bahama Shipyard will experience “significant loss” as operations will be slowed down following an on-site accident earlier this week, Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Peter Turnquest said yesterday.

“There is anticipated to be some slowdown in the amount of work that can manage but they do have a commitment to continue forward and to maintain as much of the employment as they can.”

https://thenassauguardian.com/2019/04/03/significant-loss-expected-for-gb-shipyard-after-accident/

Edited by bajathree

1 hour ago, belle19 said:

The "satellite" images on Google maps are stock footage, not real time.  That is an RCI ship, from the looks of her.

41 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Like how to squeeze more cabins into the same space......😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, bajathree said:

So the next issue is ...whats going to be the trickle down effect with near term scheduled dry docks at GB shipyard.....such as the Celebrity Equinox which is scheduled to go into GB in just a few weeks for a month long extensive enhancement.

The Grand Bahama Shipyard will experience “significant loss” as operations will be slowed down following an on-site accident earlier this week, Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Peter Turnquest said yesterday.

“There is anticipated to be some slowdown in the amount of work that can manage but they do have a commitment to continue forward and to maintain as much of the employment as they can.”

https://thenassauguardian.com/2019/04/03/significant-loss-expected-for-gb-shipyard-after-accident/

As I said earlier, I believe that Equinox can use dock #3.  Many commercial ships, who are not stakeholders in the yard,  will likely try to move their dockings, especially the ones a few months down the road, to another yard,   Since there is a statutory component to drydock dates, and most companies push them off as late as possible, there will be scrambling.

• Like 2