Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

49 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

👍

I am hoping for something new on Oasis after her "amping" dry dock this fall. 

Me too.

33 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Didn't Symphony get the umbrellas back

Yes she did, but not as many as Allure and Oasis have. I’d say there are the same amount of tables at the beach pool. 

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Short of the dock tipping, the ship is stable on the blocks.

Would you say that if the dock tipped far enough, the ship would eventually right herself on the water? It seems like she's listing now because the dock is listing or because she fell off some of the keel blocks and is still resting on what's left of the cofferdams. I'm curious about what's going on under the ship right now.

1 minute ago, Pratique said:

Would you say that if the dock tipped far enough, the ship would eventually right herself on the water? It seems like she's listing now because the dock is listing or because she fell off some of the keel blocks and is still resting on what's left of the cofferdams. I'm curious about what's going on under the ship right now.

No, if the dock tipped more, it would not change things, only if the high side of the dock was lowered would the ship right itself.  Likely most of the keel blocks (those on the starboard side and the keel) have slid towards the starboard wingwall of the dock, but the ones on the high side, with the buoyancy of the dock pressing up, and the weight of the ship pressing down, are still likely  supporting the port side of the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

It's something to ponder, but I really do not think that this weight is really that much in the grand scheme of that ship. I don't know, but I bet an engineer could weigh in. 

I think either they screwed up -

perhaps the weight was displaced incorrectly, or something caused the ship or dock to move and threw off the balance, or just catastrophic failure of the dock or crane. 

45 minutes ago, teacherman said:

We are currently on Allure because our Oasis cruise for this week was cancelled. We were allowed to change to this cruise and given $200 obc. That's it.  We could have been given a refund but many of us on here had already purchased our air to Orlando.  RCCL wouldnot even reimburse us for the rental car fees because we had to drive to Miami and when we leave the ship Sunday immediately drive back to Orlando in hopes of making our return flights.  Same story as many of you. School break week. No available flights to change too. Etc.  You got a good deal compared to what we were offered. But we are having a good cruise right now 

Was also on that 31st sailing that was canceled. Royal Caribbean should have kept our cruise - then none of this would have happened!   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Grumpus said:

I think either they screwed up -

perhaps the weight was displaced incorrectly, or something caused the ship or dock to move and threw off the balance, or just catastrophic failure of the dock or crane. 

I still believe it was a failure of a ballast pipe or valve on the dock that flooded one or more of the ballast tanks, sinking that side of the dock.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I still believe it was a failure of a ballast pipe or valve on the dock that flooded one or more of the ballast tanks, sinking that side of the dock.

Do you have an idea why the starboard side crane fell toward the ship?

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, the ship sits on 1-1.5 meter high wooden blocks.  But without knowing what this Finn's job was, I sort of question whether he knows much about drydocks.  But, there are blocks at the sides of the flat bottom as well, to support the ship from tipping.  Short of the dock tipping, the ship is stable on the blocks.

Like this 🤔

Screenshot_20190403-163553_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Do you have an idea why the starboard side crane fell toward the ship?

Since the ship shows more list than the dock does, I believe it tipped into the crane, applying a force below the center of gravity of the crane and causing it to fall to port.  As someone said up thread, like taking someone out at the knees.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Yes she did, but not as many as Allure and Oasis have. I’d say there are the same amount of tables at the beach pool. 

That's good, tables are the most important 

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That would definitely do it. All you need is a little weight and angle imbalance and all hell will break loose. 

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

It could be, but until I see a direct quote from the shipyard or the government, I'll hold my judgement.

From research on the internet, which does not make me any kind of expert, I found a number of references to "Transverse bending Failure".  No reason for anyone to believe me, I am just guessing.  If I am right, no one will care.  If I am wrong, I expect to be flamed for needless speculation.  Such is life on the internet, but sometimes it's fun.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

From research on the internet, which does not make me any kind of expert, I found a number of references to "Transverse bending Failure".  No reason for anyone to believe me, I am just guessing.  If I am right, no one will care.  If I am wrong, I expect to be flamed for needless speculation.  Such is life on the internet, but sometimes it's fun.

If it wasn't for needless speculation we'd have no speculation at all. Where is the fun in that.

Somethin happened and it wearn't good!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I'm with you. If nothing else, we learn a thing or two along the way for being wrong. That dock looks like a rust bucket anyway. When steel starts to give way then things can happen quick. Exhibit 1: the crane. But what do I know lol.

13 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Thanks to you and your most educated speculation, I am now an “internet expert” on transverse bending failure, having just digested a PDF report detailing 3 previous drydock failures.

Another item checked off the bucket list.

🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

Completely agree. Anything new!  I have seen Grease on Indy twice, and Harmony once. I like it.. but I want something new. Also, until it is an absolute no... I am hoping for Wicked! 

I would LOVE to have Wicked on a ship!  Would they be able to get rights as it is currently running on Broadway?  Especially considering I think they did Hairspray on Oasis in the end of 09' (when she deputed), while Hairspray ended its Broadway run earlier, in January 09'.  Therefore, it's not promising as much as you and I would like that:-(

I agree that they need something new, other than Cats (sorry John).

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

The situation with the Oasis has a proposed solution, at this point I'm more interested in the next step.  I'm booked on a ship a couple of months from now that is supposed to be the first cruise after dry dock.  I'll be interested in any damage to the dry dock and any impact on future dry docks for other ships.