If You Could Take Your WOOF, Would You?

Ukigirl

Yes you can take your dog on a cruise if you really want to. Have a look at   Cunard Cruises, some ships have kennels and allow dogs on their transatlantic sailings.

I have been on a cruise (old QE2) that had dogs onboard,  I didn't know  until disembarkation when four dogs were being walked off the ship, they stay in the kennels and have a special dog only exercise area.  They don't stay in the cabins or have the freedom to roam the ship.

Places are limited and very expensive, so not something I would do.    

Would I want to do this on the normal? Absolutely not.

My last dog was very energetic, but I did always say I wanted him to come on at least one vacation with me. He loved water and the waves of the beach. I felt that might be a good memory to have with him. He was a member of the family. I'm not sure that a cruise would be a perfect venue though. It could be interesting if cruise lines had an appropriate dog daycare. Unfortunately, he passed unexpectedly before I got to make that a reality.

I feel all of the "emotional support" people made turned more people off to this topic that it would have otherwise been.

Let me add this to my prior comments - if pets were allowed to be taken on board, I would avoid that cruise line / ship / itinerary at all cost.  I don't need to be subjected to everyone else's pet - no matter how much they feel I should love them.....

(And I am an animal lover - but my pet's place is at home).

• Like 2

Why not.  Perhaps a wallaby or two and  while we are at it perhaps  a Tasmanian devil! 

Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

The suggestion about taking pets is so foolish that it is not worthy of consideration.   We are talking about animals.  As we say in our tribe....none so strange as folk themselves.

Edited by iancal

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have a tee shirt that reads Dogs are people too. My cats and dogs were family members. Currently I have a grand dog .

Well that's nice.  Perhaps you may treat them as family, which is also nice, but cats and dogs are animals.  Would you advocate bringing your animals on board a cruise ship?

5 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Well that's nice.  Perhaps you may treat them as family, which is also nice, but cats and dogs are animals.  Would you advocate bringing your animals on board a cruise ship?

5 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Some 4 legged creatures are nicer than human beings.

4 hours ago, iancal said:

Why not.  Perhaps a wallaby or two and  while we are at it perhaps  a Tasmanian devil! 

Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

The suggestion about taking pets is so foolish that it is not worthy of consideration.   We are talking about animals.  As we say in our tribe....none so strange as folk themselves.

I do not think any animal should be allowed on board and that goes for service animals as well. The only animal I would contemplate allowing is a Guide dog.

I guess that is a solid no for Skippy and Skippy Jr.   They will have to stay home.  No bon voyage party for them at the kennel.

We do not even think that small pets should be allowed in airplane cabins.

Edited by iancal

9 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I do not think any animal should be allowed on board and that goes for service animals as well. The only animal I would contemplate allowing is a Guide dog.

Really?  No pun intended, but I think your view of service animals is a bit short sighted. There are a number of valid service animal applications in addition to guide dogs that should not be eliminated in your consideration.  There are animals trained to support those with other physical limitations, as well as medical conditions such as diabetes, epilepsy, etc.  These service animals are as critical a component to their quality of life as a guide dog would be to the sight impaired.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, cabin4three said:

Yes you can take your dog on a cruise if you really want to. Have a look at   Cunard Cruises, some ships have kennels and allow dogs on their transatlantic sailings.

I have been on a cruise (old QE2) that had dogs onboard,  I didn't know  until disembarkation when four dogs were being walked off the ship, they stay in the kennels and have a special dog only exercise area.  They don't stay in the cabins or have the freedom to roam the ship.

Places are limited and very expensive, so not something I would do.    

If I had to move across the pond, this is the option I would choose rather than put the dogs in the hold of an airplane.  No way would I do this for just a vacation.

We leave in 10 days and already I'm sad that I am leaving them home.  That said, absolutely NOT.  I have 2 labs, one chocolate, one yellow. And although I love them to death, I would not bring them.  The chocolate lives up to her name - hyper.  The yellow is mellow.  It does make me feel better that they will keep each other company while we are gone.  My neighbor will be checking on them throughout.  Oh yeah, my African Gray Parrot will keep them in line (he yells at them). 

1 hour ago, South Shore 41 said:

We leave in 10 days and already I'm sad that I am leaving them home.  That said, absolutely NOT.  I have 2 labs, one chocolate, one yellow. And although I love them to death, I would not bring them.  The chocolate lives up to her name - hyper.  The yellow is mellow.  It does make me feel better that they will keep each other company while we are gone.  My neighbor will be checking on them throughout.  Oh yeah, my African Gray Parrot will keep them in line (he yells at them). 

One year after moving to the south shore of Long Island my beloved cat passed away . I wish that I could have taken her on a cruise but alas I could not.

We leave in 10 days and already I'm sad that I am leaving them home.  That said, absolutely NOT.  I have 2 labs, one chocolate, one yellow. And although I love them to death, I would not bring them.  The chocolate lives up to her name - hyper.  The yellow is mellow.  It does make me feel better that they will keep each other company while we are gone.  My neighbor will be checking on them throughout.  Oh yeah, my African Gray Parrot will keep them in line (he yells at them