New Pinnacle Ship named - Ryndam!

Radbooks

2 hours ago, Radbooks said:

I think it's been a pretty open secret, but I just saw this on Twitter:

Holland America LineVerified account @HALcruises 1h1 hour ago

BREAKING NEWS | The name of our next Pinnacle Class ship is...Ryndam!

Glad they left the 'Nieuw' part off of it. 🙂

I wonder if it will be redesned life boat location so it can legally go through the Panama Canal

Well now to decide whether to book the maiden voyage or wait till she gets to Ft Lauderdale. Based on construction times my guess is that she will be delivered in May of 21.....with her first cruise in June. I love maiden Voyages, problems and all.....and have sailed a HAL inaugural.......something to think about.

as far as the Nieuw....I agree not using it......

But to be honest, I thought the name was going to be the Prinsindam. My bad!

1 minute ago, RMS Olympic said:

Well now to decide whether to book the maiden voyage or wait till she gets to Ft Lauderdale. Based on construction times my guess is that she will be delivered in May of 21.....with her first cruise in June. I love maiden Voyages, problems and all.....and have sailed a HAL inaugural.......something to think about.

as far as the Nieuw....I agree not using it......

If I may ask, what do you love about maiden voyages?

20 minutes ago, RMS Olympic said:

"Bad"?  No.  Your thinking was in line with mine.  I thought there was a possibility Pinnacle 3 would be named Prinsendam.  Someone reported on CC that Mr. Ashford told a group of Mariners that there would be a Prinsendam III.  

Edited by rkacruiser

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

"Bad"?  No.  Your thinking was in line with mine.  I thought there was a possibility Pinnacle 3 would be named Prinsendam.  Someone reported on CC that Mr. Ashford told a group of Mariners that there would be a Prinsendam III.  

Me thinks that name will be reserved for a smaller ship............time will tell :classic_wink:

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Me thinks that name will be reserved for a smaller ship............time will tell :classic_wink:

I agree.  But, a newbuild?  Or one in service?  I have said on this Board several times that I think one of the Seabourn ships could become the new Prinsendam.

Edited by rkacruiser

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

I agree.  But, a newbuild?  Or one in service?  I have said on this Board several times that I think one of the Seabourn ships could become the new Prinsendam.

I agree with that thought

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

If Carnival Corp transfers any ship from one of their brands to replace the Prinsendam it would not be a Seabourn ship. They are new, high capital, low density ships that cannot be operated profitably under the HAL branding. The only ship I see being transferred to HAL would be the Pacific Princess (former R Three for Renaissance Cruises).  Princess have signaled with the moving of the World cruises to Island/Sun/Sea Princess' that their future is squarely 70K+ tonnes at the smallest.  Pacific Princess seems poised to leave the fleet by end of 2020.  Building a one-off ship in that size range (680-850 passengers 30-45K tonnes) would simply also not be financially profitable unless HAL wants to push fares into Oceania/Viking territory. 

Miss G, years back the launching of a new ship was special and unique: Now ships are being built around the clock and multiples of the same design. When ships were unique it was something special to see and experience something totally new. Now it’s just a duplicate, but still special to me. As I am booked on the Nieuw Statemdam this November, I’ll determine if this bigger design warrants sailing on the Ryndam.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

If Carnival Corp transfers any ship from one of their brands to replace the Prinsendam it would not be a Seabourn ship. They are new, high capital, low density ships that cannot be operated profitably under the HAL branding. The only ship I see being transferred to HAL would be the Pacific Princess (former R Three for Renaissance Cruises).  

Pacific Princess has been in service for many years.  From what I have learned, when Princess takes her out of service, she will have only 9 more years left in a ship's expected 30 year life expectancy.  Is it a good corporate decision to put money in such a ship to make it suitable for HAL service?

Or, if a current Seabourn ship is deemed as not being able to operate profitably as a HAL ship and does not have sufficient veranda staterooms suitable for a HAL ship, put the ship into dry dock, split the ship and add a section which would include more staterooms with verandas.  Maybe, even add another deck to the vessel.  Something like that was done by HAL/Carnival Corporation when Home Lines' M.S. Atlantic was added to the fleet and became the previous Westerdam.

Even the oldest Seabourn ship has a longer life expectancy than Pacific Princess.  If corporate money is going to be placed into making a new Prinsendam, in which ship might it be better spent for a hopeful longer return on CCL's investment?

20 minutes ago, RMS Olympic said:

Miss G, years back the launching of a new ship was special and unique: Now ships are being built around the clock and multiples of the same design. When ships were unique it was something special to see and experience something totally new. Now it’s just a duplicate, but still special to me. As I am booked on the Nieuw Statemdam this November, I’ll determine if this bigger design warrants sailing on the Ryndam.

Thank you for your response.  I’ve sailed the Koningsdam a few times and love the design.  Hope you enjoy the NS.  I am definitely interested to sail on the Ryndam and will be interested in any amendments they may have made from the first two of its class.

21 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I am definitely interested to sail on the Ryndam and will be interested in any amendments they may have made from the first two of its class.

I'm just as I interested. Let's hope they do some tweaking to the design, and add a proper promenade deck.  

Also, bring back the people who did the interiors of the former HAL ships. The new MDR is nice, but it's more Celebrity Solstice than HAL.  

And no more "music theme". Two ships with that are enough.  😮

43 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Pacific Princess has been in service for many years.  From what I have learned, when Princess takes her out of service, she will have only 9 more years left in a ship's expected 30 year life expectancy.  Is it a good corporate decision to put money in such a ship to make it suitable for HAL service?

Or, if a current Seabourn ship is deemed as not being able to operate profitably as a HAL ship and does not have sufficient veranda staterooms suitable for a HAL ship, put the ship into dry dock, split the ship and add a section which would include more staterooms with verandas.  Maybe, even add another deck to the vessel.  Something like that was done by HAL/Carnival Corporation when Home Lines' M.S. Atlantic was added to the fleet and became the previous Westerdam.

Even the oldest Seabourn ship has a longer life expectancy than Pacific Princess.  If corporate money is going to be placed into making a new Prinsendam, in which ship might it be better spent for a hopeful longer return on CCL's investment?

Oceania and Azamara seem to think there is enough life left in the former Renaissance vessels to invest significantly in them over the next few years. HAL would have to spend far less to convert/upkeep Pacific Princess to a HAL vessel than what the aforementioned lines are doing.  There would be little needed structurally, mostly cosmetic. My guess is that for the remaining life of the vessel it would probably be within the range they will spend on maintenance and upkeep of the current R class vessels in their own fleet over the next decade.  The cost to make the Seabourn ships dense enough to be profitable as a HAL vessel would be far far far higher......