New Pinnacle Ship named - Ryndam!

Radbooks

As a former sailboat racer I really loved Ryndam III.  Many of the older HAL ships have/had a theme and she was definitely the nautical ship.  She was all full of antique sailing-vessel artifacts and models and I really wonder what they did with all of those beautiful things when she was transferred to P&O.   I guess it's too much to hope that the newest iteration of her name will be themed accordingly.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe, even add another deck to the vessel.  Something like that was done by HAL/Carnival Corporation when Home Lines' M.S. Atlantic was added to the fleet and became the previous Westerdam.

Very close! :classic_wink: When HAL purchased/took over Home Lines in 1988, they gained two ships; Atlantic and Homeric. Atlantic did not fit in their plans and was sold to then Premier Lines, becoming their Starship Atlantic. Homeric became HAL's Westerdam II and between October 1989 and March 1990, was sent back to her German builder, Jos. Meyer Werft in Papenberg by HAL, where she was unceremoniously cut in half and lengthened by adding a new 130-foot middle section which increased her pax capacity by 300. She then sailed for HAL as Westerdam II until 2002 when she received an internal transfer to Costa Crociere, becoming their Costa Europa. Her next name was Thomson Dream for British Thomson Cruises and she is still sailing today as Marella Dream for Thomson's rebirth as Marella Cruises

Quantum%2Bof%2Bthe%2BSeas%2BPre-Cruise%2BMeyer%2BWerft%2BWesterdam..jpg

Quantum%2Bof%2Bthe%2BSeas%2BPre-Cruise%2BMeyer%2BWerft%2BStretching%2BWesterdam.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Very close! :classic_wink: When HAL purchased/took over Home Lines in 1988, they gained two ships; Atlantic and Homeric. Atlantic did not fit in their plans and was sold to then Premier Lines, becoming their Starship Atlantic. Homeric became HAL's Westerdam II and between October 1989 and March 1990, was sent back to her German builder, Jos. Meyer Werft in Papenberg by HAL, where she was unceremoniously cut in half and lengthened by adding a new 130-foot middle section which increased her pax capacity by 300. She then sailed for HAL as Westerdam II until 2002 when she received an internal transfer to Costa Crociere, becoming their Costa Europa. Her next name was Thomson Dream for British Thomson Cruises and she is still sailing today as Marella Dream for Thomson's rebirth as Marella Cruises

Quantum%2Bof%2Bthe%2BSeas%2BPre-Cruise%2BMeyer%2BWerft%2BWesterdam..jpg

Quantum%2Bof%2Bthe%2BSeas%2BPre-Cruise%2BMeyer%2BWerft%2BStretching%2BWesterdam.jpg

I was once on this ship in 1998 from FLL to Vancouver.  I would say it was my least favorite HAL ship/  My point is this the first time I have pictures of the stretch as it occurred.  Thank you for sharing the pictures., 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Himself said:

I was once on this ship in 1998 from FLL to Vancouver.  I would say it was my least favorite HAL ship/  My point is this the first time I have pictures of the stretch as it occurred.  Thank you for sharing the pictures., 

Some crew that worked the old WEDM II swear that she was haunted, Father :classic_ohmy:

5 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Good question Father!

Several weeks ago the CD on the Nieuw Statendam indicated during the "ask the captain"  segment that the Boat storage would be redesigned so that the RYNAM could go through the canal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Nope; only been in port with her

I have a little story to share with you.  The Theatre was located at the top forward where the crows nest is normally placed.

Now the Chaplain's quarters was on the B deck in the entertainment section. One morning I was walking in for Mass and one woman said "Father I am up so high up I feel I am in heaven!"   I responded "My room is on B deck, please don't draw any conclusions."  She laughed.  That happened in April. 1998. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Vic The Parrot said:

I'm just as I interested. Let's hope they do some tweaking to the design, and add a proper promenade deck.  

Also, bring back the people who did the interiors of the former HAL ships. The new MDR is nice, but it's more Celebrity Solstice than HAL.  

And no more "music theme". Two ships with that are enough.  😮

The "Music Walk" has been added  to other ships.  On the Vista and Signature ships have put in Lincoln Center stage and the dueling pianos. I even here is going onto the Zaandam.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Some crew that worked the old WEDM II swear that she was haunted, Father :classic_ohmy:

One has to understand that some Indonesian crewmembers are very much affected by superstition in their culture.

Most believe in ghosts and this results in many instances where Indonesian crew experiences supernatural occurences.

For example, one of the aircraft in our fleet is said to be haunted. Some crew simply refuse to spend time in the crewrest area out of fear of encountering the “ yellow uniform lady” bending over them while asleep...

we even have issues in some layover hotels we use.

2 hours ago, Despegue said:

One has to understand that some Indonesian crewmembers are very much affected by superstition in their culture.

Most believe in ghosts and this results in many instances where Indonesian crew experiences supernatural occurences.

For example, one of the aircraft in our fleet is said to be haunted. Some crew simply refuse to spend time in the crewrest area out of fear of encountering the “ yellow uniform lady” bending over them while asleep...

we even have issues in some layover hotels we use.

Not to hijack the thread, but back "in the day" Eastern Airlines had a similar situation with their L1011 fleet.  It seems parts from a plane that crashed in the everglades were subsequently used in other planes in the fleet... And from that point on there were repeated reports of ghosts on those planes.   

My first HAL cruise was on the then pretty new Ryndam III in January 1995.   In March 1998 my new bride and I honeymooned on her so she has always had a special place in my mind and heart.  We were sad to see her leave HAL but glad she at least went on to a new life.   Glad they’re bringing back the name and leaving the “Nieuw” prefix off.   

8 hours ago, Himself said:

The "Music Walk" has been added  to other ships.  On the Vista and Signature ships have put in Lincoln Center stage and the dueling pianos. I even here is going onto the Zaandam.

Actually, I was referring to the music themed decor. It would be nice to have this ship go back to the art and antiques casually displayed in public areas.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

Actually, I was referring to the music themed decor. It would be nice to have this ship go back to the art and antiques casually displayed in public areas.

I do agree with this thought.  The Volendam/Zaandam sisters had differing interior design themes: floral for Volendam and musical for Zaandam.  Such design helped to make them "unique", yet still similar.  Rotterdam's and Amsterdam's interior decor is different as well.  The Vistas and Signature vessels were all different in some ways from each other, whether it was the Atrium artwork or the color scheme used in public rooms.  

Have not sailed on Koningsdam, but if the same interior decor theme is used on both, as I think it is based on what I have read on CC, Ryndam deserves something "different" than her sisters.  

17 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

I don't think that's going to happen. They're busy trying to compete with Celebrity's more modern style.

'Ryndam' is an honorable name to use again. Thankfully, HAL is leaving off 'Nieuw', which means nothing except on the Nieuw Amsterdam, this time. 

Apparently, someone in Seattle does understand the heritage of the line.  

5 hours ago, RuthC said:

'Ryndam' is an honorable name to use again. Thankfully, HAL is leaving off 'Nieuw', which means nothing except on the Nieuw Amsterdam, this time. 

Apparently, someone in Seattle does understand the heritage of the line.  

Yes, I agree.  Ryndam without Nieuw is fine.

Now, will there ever be another Prinsendam???